DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to Establishing home point

winochef

Reactions
When I manually start flight the controller indicates home Pointset check map
. But when you do auto launch you can also check the box that says precise home point and the .Mavic I takes off and hovers at approximately 20 feet. While it’s hovering is it establishing a new home point? Which method is the most precise for setting a return to home point. I know You can also manually established return to home point also, so while it’s hovering from auto launch should you reset your home point?

Ideally, you should wait for the home point to be set before you take off. Check the map in DJI GO to verify the home point has been set.

The Precision Landing feature is not related to setting the home point. However, it can be useful if you're using RTH to return your Mavic to the takeoff point and land.

Reactions: lostinspace
I don’t launch until home point is set. But I recall reading somewhere that it will be more accurate if you hover about 20 feet above landing zone prior continuing on your flight. If the precision landing doesn’t help Setting the home point what is precision Landing used for? I can’t find anything in the manual in reference to that.

I don’t launch until home point is set. But I recall reading somewhere that it will be more accurate if you hover about 20 feet above landing zone prior continuing on your flight. If the precision landing doesn’t help Setting the home point what is precision Landing used for? I can’t find anything in the manual in reference to that.
The Mavic is "remembering" the launch site with video to increase precision when landing from RTH.

Thanks for the input. Seems like the most accurate way to go is to activate Percision landing all the time and auto take off.

Thanks for the input. Seems like the most accurate way to go is to activate Percision landing all the time and auto take off.
If you have enough satellites for GPS and home point BEFORE you auto-launch. Otherwise, you may be in ATTI mode and at the mercy of the winds, flyable, but not as easy.

Yes I always make sure I’m in gps mode prior to launch. It always says new home point established but if you then do auto launch with precise landing does it re-establish a home point while it hovers at 20 feet or does it refine the already established home point? I never hear it indicate new home point established when it’s hovering.

If precision landing is switched on you can still use it by taking off manually.

After home point is recorded u need to take off and go straight up to at least 10m and then go on you flight.

It doesn't create a new home point, it photographs the take off area for reference during landing.

I'm sure there is a bit in manual about it.

I looked in the manual several times and the only thing I can find is in the auto launch auto landing section. It makes no mention of the precise landing.

I looked in the manual several times and the only thing I can find is in the auto launch auto landing section. It makes no mention of the precise landing.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
Bottom of page 15 - Precision landing

Precision Landing
The Mavic Pro automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features underneath during Return to
Home. When current terrain matches home point terrain, the Mavic will start landing immediately to achieve
precision landing. The DJI GO 4 app will show a terrain feature mismatch prompt if matching fails.
Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during flight.
b. Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
c. Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
d. Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
e. Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark.
The following actions are available during landing:
a. Pull throttle down to accelerate landing.
b. Moving the control sticks in any other direction will stop Precision Landing. The Mavic Pro
will descend vertically and Landing Protection will remain active.

Reactions: Mossiback
Thanks. I saw that but thought that was general statement about it’s landing capabilities and limitations. Thanks again.

Thanks. I saw that but thought that was general statement about it’s landing capabilities and limitations. Thanks again.
It is worded more like a statement than instruction. Knew I'd read it somewhere.

Reactions: Atlas
Since the drone looks for special features on the home point, is it hwlpfule to get a landing pad?

Since the drone looks for special features on the home point, is it hwlpfule to get a landing pad?
It would be helpful if you're taking off from surfaces that don't have a well defined pattern -- like a lawn.

Reactions: Lazerw
I like using a landing pad as it is cleaner for the little motors also .

The Mavic is "remembering" the launch site with video to increase precision when landing from RTH.
It would be helpful if you're taking off from surfaces that don't have a well defined pattern -- like a lawn.

I've had good luck just tossing some contrasty object on the ground within or three feet of the takeoff point. I often just use my baseball hat. The resulting landing is generally within less than a foot of the launch point, although it can occasionally fail. The hat doesn't have to be directly on the takeoff point, and in fact this could reduce reliability. I worry about the downwash blowing the hat to a new location and thus confusing the takeoff photo map.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman