DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to land the mini 3 pro?

Amusing. We talk so much about safety here...

Hand-catch is the NUMBER ONE cause of injury with consumer drones.

I do it too, but only when it's really needed (like on a boat).
If you say so.
I have always done it with Phantoms 2/3 and Mavic Pro + Mavic 2 Pro.
I have never had a blade touch my hand or arm let alone get cut.
You would have to be a clutz to cut yourself with flimsy mini 3 blades.

You would have to be a clutz to cut yourself with flimsy mini 3 blades.
Well you can get a significant cut from a very flimsy sheet of copier paper if the edge is dragged along your skin.

A Mini 3 prop is much more substantial than a sheet of paper.

If the props are spinning at 10,000 rpm, the tips of the blades are moving at about 178 mph.

Even if you're not a klutz, there's the potential for a significant wound.

Last edited:
There really isn't a problem if you have more than an ounce of sense, and if you haven't, as Phil Esterhaus would say "Let's be careful out there".

I just tested after deactivating landing protection in drone hacks, works like a charm. No more drone trying to escape from your hand when you grab it.
Does deactivating landing protection turn off downward obstacle avoidance, or is it some different reaction to those sensors?

Does deactivating landing protection turn off downward obstacle avoidance, or is it some different reaction to those sensors?
Downward obstacle ovoidance still works. It just prevent from landing on non suitable terrain (in RTH for exemple but I never use RTH)

Landing on the ground is best avoided it is usually either dusty for motors or risky for obstacles near gimbal - if only grass.
I have always hand caught 99% of the time and with mini 3 it is easy to hand launch too.
Though taking off you can at least select a place which is clean and clear as possible - easier than when landing.
You can select a place that's clear and clean as possible also. Hand catching will eventually catch up to you. Check all the youTube video's. You can do it, but get ready, one hand on controller and one hand trying to concentrate on the catch, CUT.

This is the method I use: Hold your hand flat and as you descend toward it the drone will detect your hand as an object and briefly ascend, but if you continue to hold the stick down it will accept your controller input and gently land on your hand, then after a second or two (stick still held down) the motors will stop. I use the exact same method for my Mavic 2 Pro and don't have a problem with either drone. The only 'difficulty', if you want to put it that way, is whether or not you have a steady enough hand to balance a 250g or 900g drone without dropping it. I wait until the motors stop before gripping the drone after clipping a finger on a moving prop on the M2P when I first started using this method but it only take a minimal amount of practice to get it right and now I use it all the time.
Same here unless I have a very clean flat area to land.
I find the landing pad pretty useless with the MM3 as the props and gimbal are so close to the ground.

@4wd, no need to get your nose out of joint, nor insulting. As I said, I've done too.

Facts are facts though, and it's the number one source of drone injury, BY FAR. Getting your ego hurt over it doesn't change it. It's a FACT.

And not hard to understand... DJI drones are not cooperative in the operation.

I never had any crash in over 75 hours of flying drones. Never. So for me maybe it is because I am extra careful

Reactions: scro
Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
@scro, exactly its all about risk management ,you can never guarantee that nothing will go wrong
but you can do your utmost, to give yourself the best chance of preventing it

As old man mavic stated, It is not recommended by DJI to hand catch drones,

“ Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommended hand catching your DJI FPV drone or any DJI drone for safety purposes. Please do not stop the drone by hand, it could be dangerous and please land the DJI drone and stop the motors by sticks, or use the auto landing function if possible. Thank you and please stay safe always.” DJI Stephen – Super Moderator

Reference,

Here is a good video and article on how to do so safely. Read here

I would argue that the larger the drone (inspire 2 for example) the more dangerous this becomes. I nearly lost a thumb trying to cash a crashing Inspire 2 (out of reflex). So, I know how dangerous this can be.

Reactions: old man mavic
just to put the subject of hand catching into context as far as DJI are concerned ,they couldn't
say its ok to hand catch /launch ,simply because they would be leaving themselves open to litigation if someone got injured doing it
my main concern at the beginning of this thread ,was about the practice of flipping the drone through 180% to stop the motors ,this is something that should only be used as a last result ,as it does put a lot of unnecessary stress on the airframe, motors ,propellers and ESCs ,
if people wish to hand launch/land ,then they do so at their own risk

I’ve caught the back of my thumb botching a hand catch on an M2 and it hurt, but it did not cut or leave any marks.
I guess some people have thicker skin than others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest