DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to land the mini 3 pro?

test2000Anafi

Reactions
I found this to be the ultimate way:

You bring it close in front of you, then down to the point where you can easily reach it (still arm length distance to be safe). Now you use your right hand to ‘pinch grab’ the drone, i use only my thumb and index finger. As soon as you have a grip, with your left hand you press down on the ‘altitude Stick’ (don’t know what it is called), in a second you will hear the motors slow down which is when you secure/tighten your grip. The motors will turn off and you will have performed the ultimate way to land it.

- landing on the ground makes it dirty because of sand or grass or even the drone not landing level. Also it can scratch or damage the gimbal if there are any stones

- landing on your hand is less secure in my opinion especially when it is windy as you have less control over what is going to happen

What is your ultimate way to land the mini 3 pro?

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I let it slowly descent into a very soft grip (thumb, index finger and the palm in between) and continue to press the stick down to power off the motors. It is a bit more sensible than my Mavic 2 Pro, especially in windy conditions. If you pull it down to early it will try to ascend again due to obstacle avoidance and rev the engines.

So I am pretty concordant with you on how to get the bird down. :cool:
I will give it a try to grab slightly before as you described.

Last edited:
Grab the drone then stick down here. I've disabled smart landing protection with drone hacks so now, the drone should not ascend when I'll try to grab it (not tested yet since the modification but should work)

Reactions: Stach
New to drones and the forum, but have seen people just grabbing and turning the drone over to shut it off. Is this not a recommended practice?

@amajamar no its definitely not a recommended practice as far as DJI is concerned ,its a last resort to prevent the props from causing injury or damage to whatever they are hitting ,and lesson the damage to themselves and the drone in the event of a crash

I take off and land from my hand pretty much exclusively now, unless there's a nice clean flat surface to take off/land from. For landing I tend to lightly grip the drone as described above, and then I have the option of flipping it to kill it instantly if the landing detection doesn't do its stuff promptly.

In my opinion grabbing should never be used, except in an extreme emergency. Always allow the drone to land and props stop before grabbing it.
Using a landing pad is a good idea. One can quickly be deployed to the ground as the drone descends. There are also hand-held landing pads but they are more difficult to keep available.

Reactions: GFields
New to drones and the forum, but have seen people just grabbing and turning the drone over to shut it off. Is this not a recommended practice?
Every time you do this the Drone gods kill a someone’s drone that was flying beyond VLOS

I let it slowly descent into a very soft grip (thumb, index finger and the palm in between) and continue to press the stick down to power off the motors. It is a bit more sensible than my Mavic 2 Pro, especially in windy conditions. If you pull it down to early it will try to ascend again due to obstacle avoidance and rev the engines.

So I am pretty concordant with you on how to get the bird down. :cool:
I will give it a try to grab slightly before as you described.
That sounds even better but it will try to fly up if i move my palm underneath it. But I will give that a try as well

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Hello
A hinged wrist and can be extended from GoPro a disk of diameter 28 cm covered with rubber is my solutionA+patch45IMG_20220624_174609[1].jpg

In my opinion grabbing should never be used, except in an extreme emergency. Always allow the drone to land and props stop before grabbing it.
Using a landing pad is a good idea. One can quickly be deployed to the ground as the drone descends. There are also hand-held landing pads but they are more difficult to keep available.
Just curious as to why you feel grabbing the drone should never be used? I routinely use this technique and have had fewer issues than trying to land on a pad or on the ground.

Everyone has their preferred method for various reasons, but I don't think there's an exclusively right way to land/take off. It depends a lot on the conditions (ie weather, terrain)

Reactions: mroek and Jim S
Just curious as to why you feel grabbing the drone should never be used? I routinely use this technique and have had fewer issues than trying to land on a pad or on the ground.

Everyone has their preferred method for various reasons, but I don't think there's an exclusively right way to land/take off. It depends a lot on the conditions (ie weather, terrain)
It's dangerous and high risk of injury.

Reactions: GFields
That sounds even better but it will try to fly up if i move my palm underneath it. But I will give that a try as well
The drone will try to fly upward if you place your hand beneath it. But, if you don't move your hand, it doesn't go far and soon stops allowing you to continue with the landing.

Landing on the ground is best avoided it is usually either dusty for motors or risky for obstacles near gimbal - if only grass.
I have always hand caught 99% of the time and with mini 3 it is easy to hand launch too.
Though taking off you can at least select a place which is clean and clear as possible - easier than when landing.

Reactions: Jim S
Landing on the ground is best avoided it is usually either dusty for motors or risky for obstacles near gimbal - if only grass.
I have always hand caught 99% of the time and with mini 3 it is easy to hand launch too.
Though taking off you can at least select a place which is clean and clear as possible - easier than when landing.

I usually hover about three feet off the landing area for a few seconds to give the propwash time to remove most of the dirt, gravel, and such.

Reactions: Dronecation
This is the method I use: Hold your hand flat and as you descend toward it the drone will detect your hand as an object and briefly ascend, but if you continue to hold the stick down it will accept your controller input and gently land on your hand, then after a second or two (stick still held down) the motors will stop. I use the exact same method for my Mavic 2 Pro and don't have a problem with either drone. The only 'difficulty', if you want to put it that way, is whether or not you have a steady enough hand to balance a 250g or 900g drone without dropping it. I wait until the motors stop before gripping the drone after clipping a finger on a moving prop on the M2P when I first started using this method but it only take a minimal amount of practice to get it right and now I use it all the time.

Reactions: john mcg and Stach

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato