DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better Mini 3 Pro gimbal guard (by GardToK/SunnyLife)

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
GardToK released this new gimbal guard for the Mini 3 Pro that's easier to attach/remove and also protects the front sensors.

1659884286560.png

Here's what some recent buyers said about it:
  • "Snaps on so easily. While it's a small thing...it makes a big difference to not have that little struggle."
  • "It covers the front sensors and the gimbal which is perfect for tossing the drone in a pocket or bag"
  • "No prongs on the inside that touched the camera like on the original which made it awkward"
See more details here on Amazon (currently 10% off).

Last edited:
A few questions.
Do the bottom lugs fit into recesses that contain IR or VPS optics? If so how close to those optics do those lugs get?
If there are no ribs inside the cover, is the gimbal assembly free to move about within the cover when the cover is fitted? If so, is that a good thing?
With the other Minis, the M2P/Z and the P3, the gimbal cover seems designed to, in part, hold the gimbal assembly still with respect to the drone and it looks to me as if at least the first Mini 3 cover was designed to do the same thing.

Last edited:
the whole idea of the gimbal guard ,is to prevent any movement of the camera and gimbal during transport ,any none OEM guard that does not do this is IMO a complete waste of time and money
in the case of the new Mavic 3 because it does not have a rigid gimbal guard ,the gimbal and camera actually locks in place to prevent movement
personally i find it quite hard to understand, why people struggle, to remove, and refit the gimbal guards that come with their drones ,it just takes a little bit of thought on the easiest way to do it ,just find a technique that works for you

GardToK released this new gimbal lock for the Mini 3 Pro that's easier to attach/remove and also protects the front sensors.

View attachment 152976

• "Snaps on so easily. While it's a small thing...it makes a big difference to not have that little struggle."
  • "It covers the front sensors and the gimbal which is perfect for tossing the drone in a pocket or bag"
  • "No prongs on the inside that touched the camera like on the original which made it awkward"
See more details here on Amazon.
Hi, This is a ver welcome upgrade. Thanks for sharing!

GardToK released this new gimbal lock for the Mini 3 Pro that's easier to attach/remove and also protects the front sensors.

View attachment 152976

See more details here on Amazon.
I have this gimbal protector and it works just great ,A++

Do the bottom lugs fit into recesses that contain IR or VPS optics?
The bottom lugs fit into the same recesses as the OEM gimbal guard.

If there are no ribs inside the cover, is the gimbal assembly free to move about within the cover when the cover is fitted? If so, is that a good thing?
There are no ribs inside and the guard does not touch the camera/gimbal. I'm not sure it's a bad thing as the gimbal isn't under the nearly the stress it's under when the aircraft is powered on and flying. And if you move the drone around in your hand while powered off and the gimbal guard is removed, you'll see it really doesn't move at all.

personally i find it quite hard to understand, why people struggle, to remove, and refit the gimbal guards that come with their drones
Yeah, it's never impossible -- more of just a learning curve as each new gimbal guard is released. The benefit of this gimbal guard (IMHO) is it's easier to attach/remove and also protects the front sensors.

Reactions: old man mavic
The bottom lugs fit into the same recesses as the OEM gimbal guard.
Ahh I have literally just seen a DJI video that appears to show just that and was coming to post a message to that effect lol.

Cheers for the other answer too.

I ordered the same type off of Amazon and after 4 weeks it arrived the other day. It has the ribs inside just like my original gimbal cover, but it snaps on much easier.
It sounds like you ordered this one instead?

It sounds like you ordered this one instead?
No, that is just like the original, isn't it?
We are discussing the gimbal cover with the "eyes" that cover the front sensors.
This is the exact one I ordered, shipped from China. Notice the interior ribs which hold the camera firmly in place. I'm not sure that is needed (holding the camera so securely in place). For $3.79 USD and free shipping I wasn't expecting the quality to be the best, but it appears to be made from the same quality of plastic as the original and the fit is excellent.

No, that is just like the original, isn't it?
Yep, it looks to be a near clone of the original.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't see that variant before.

Reactions: Torque
GardToK released this new gimbal guard for the Mini 3 Pro that's easier to attach/remove and also protects the front sensors.

View attachment 152976

See more details here on Amazon (currently 10% off).
Yeah, I saw that last night. Looks good - also looks like something DJI should have included in the box.

I have never had difficulty with the gimbal guard from DJI once I saw how it worked

Me neither - the first time you remove it, you can easily see how it works by simply putting it back on in the reverse. I have never understood the issues some folks are having. It has worked the first time every time for me and it's probably the easiest gimbal cover I have used across DJI's lineup. It just works.

The problem with the original cover is that while it protects the gimbal from impact damage, it doesn't really prevent the gimbal from moving and banging around inside the cover, which makes it a fairly poor design from that perspective. I just stick the little piece of foam behind it that came with the drone and I find that works really well at keeping the gimbal solid during transport. In my mind, that is preferable to having the gimbal come into contact with the plastic fins on the aftermarket covers that help keep it in place.

also looks like something DJI should have included in the box
Yep. For whatever reason, DJI rarely comes up with the best gimbal guard designs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1