DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big Brother knows you're flying, with DJI's approval

Nah, I didnt, which is why I posted that.

You are entitled to your privacy. Lucky you dont live in Russia or China. Privacy there is not an entitlement.
It’s not an entitlement here either, it is a right (4th Amendment protections). There is a difference but hopefully we are both generally on the same page and we’ll just leave it at that.

It’s not an entitlement here either, it is a right (4th Amendment protections). There is a difference but hopefully we are both generally on the same page and we’ll just leave it at that.

Its all semantics. Just glad we have the rights we are able to enjoy here. Ive lived in other places that make you walk on eggshells if you dare to criticize the government.

While I have nothing to hide it does not mean I want the government/Big Bro breathing down my throat. However it seems a tad hypocritical to want to fly a 4K camera (some with zoom lens) and not acknowledge your potential infringement on other peeps privacy. Just like driving my car I got a license (from the gov) as it is a privilege NOT a right.
Again our privacy is under attack but drone pilots need to consider both sides when it comes to flying anywhere near others - which is most anywhere....
I know call me Debbie Downer....

Reactions: Former Member
TFrank48 really hit the nail on the head. Two problems, transponder Will drain the battery, also the weight of the transmitter would be prohibitive without major reconfiguration.

Below 400' all civil aircraft must be operated VFR "visual flight rules" unless they're on an TERP approach. If you're traveling at 100 mph as an aircraft pilot, you're not going to see a small drone a half a mile away, let alone have time to see and avoid. ADS-B cockpit displays a moving map by TIS or TAW. Agriculture aircraft, military and line patrol aircraft won't ever be required to have ADS-B. And they're the only ones operating in our environment !! In the future, I could see a requirement for uas operators base station to have ADS B . Then the other pilot would know someone was within proximity, which would be close enough, given our speed differences.
It’s already in the pipeline for the Mavic 2 and zoom.

Subjects like this deserve only one comment: “told you so!”

Drone flying only keeps getting more restrictions and less freedom due to irresponsible pilots.

Reactions: deleted member 877
ADS-B transmitter for sUAS probably not far off. The Mavic Enterprise already receives ADS-B from equipped aircraft (Dji AirSense) and displays location in the app.

ADS-B isnt the answer. Its bandwidth slots are basically already full from civilian usage. The last thing it needs are huge amounts more traffic making the lack of time slots in busy areas even worse.
It'll be a different ID system.

ADS-B in you can get on your phone for about $15 spend if you really want it (and its of very limited use in most areas as most conflicting traffic isnt sending).

I’ve been reading all these posts. Somewhere between Page 1 and Page 2, a funny question came to mind.

I wonder if America’s government would make us surrender our drones, but allow gun-owners to keep their weapons.

I mean really, what are the chances of a drone owner causing a catastrophic event versus some guy going out there and shooting up a shopping mall on a whim?

You don’t have to answer this. It’s just a thought.

I’ve been reading all these posts. Somewhere between Page 1 and Page 2, a funny question came to mind.

I wonder if America’s government would make us surrender our drones, but allow gun-owners to keep their weapons.

I mean really, what are the chances of a drone owner causing a catastrophic event versus some guy going out there and shooting up a shopping mall on a whim?

You don’t have to answer this. It’s just a thought.

can‘t answer that. @DoomMeister will get sad and lock the thread.

Only when it becomes the topic instead of drones (UAV’s, sUAS’s, etc.). Although I still strongly support my right to bear arms. Just need to keep my attention on flying while I’m PIC.

Thanks for that. When I posted I was really only thinking about drone pilots losing their right to fly. When I bought my first drone, I did so with the intent to capture the beauty I see. Of course, we all fly for different reasons but I believe the majority of drone owners see how beautiful the world is and can be. We are not interested in taking down planes, disrupting the peace, and at the very worst spying on people.

This Anti-China campaign thing is so political. It is old men that start wars, and the youth who fight them. I've travelled most of the South Pacific in my lifetime. The Chinese have a very artistic sense. DJI is a company and not a country. They made a product that allows us a different form of artistic expression. I can't and won't believe for a second that they made something to spy on us. Their sales are proof that their products resonate with the American people and other countries alike.

It's easy to blame "irresponsible pilots" as a reason for the legislation that is making it harder to enjoy the pastime of flying a drone. It's harder to point out those who would advocate for drone pilots but have ulterior motives, capitalistic motives, in order to force us to buy one countries products over the next. DJI needs to move itself from the label of a Chinese company to an international entity as Apple has done.

You and I are like many others that find our UAV’s are a flying platform for a camera. I have loved nature photography since I was in junior high school. The old way to get that high was to climb or hire a pilot. The first was dangerous and the second prohibitively expensive.

It is very true that a lot of the rules and regulations have come about due to big business wanting the airspace to themselves and using sensational press to help achieve their goals to push the hobbyist and small commercial pilots to the fringes. Of course the social media outlets allowing obviously illegal drone footage to be displayed and become sensationalized doesn’t help matters at all.

The other subject that never fails to irk me is the privacy issue. We go anywhere and everywhere being recorded by security cameras, traffic cams, others cell phones, etc. and never blink an eye. But, put a UAV in the air and suddenly we are being spied upon by some perv flying a drone. Gimme a break! Sometimes I take photos instead of videos so I can Photoshop the people out of the picture.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato