DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bill to Require ID Transmitters on All Drones 107/Rec

flockshot

Reactions
My source for this information is Rupprecht Law

Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler (MO-04) introduced the Safeguarding America’s Skies Act on 3/21/2018

Part of this act calls for the Department of Transportation to make a decision on "final rule requiring remote identification and tracking of UAVs, including UAVs for recreational use, to ensure that cooperative aircraft are identified."

I believe DJI drones already transmit ID information. There just need to be regulations around how to use the info.

I believe DJI drones already transmit ID information. There just need to be regulations around how to use the info.
They transmit to DJI. Whenever you use a DJI product you give them permission to monitor part of your life.
This is referring to something like a transponder in airplanes. It transmits your location and altitude real time to Air Traffic Control.

They transmit to DJI. Whenever you use a DJI product you give them permission to monitor part of your life.
This is referring to something like a transponder in airplanes. It transmits your location and altitude real time to Air Traffic Control.

I think he is referring to the downlink radio signal rather than the data that may get transmitted by the app to DJI. The radio that Aeroscope detects and decodes so effectively yes - this is already implemented on DJI aircraft albeit in a proprietary way. The longer term goal is likely to be ADS-B or something similar.

I hope they can require something that is effective and not expensive.

I hope they can require something that is effective and not expensive.
It would seem to me the drone could transmit its ID or serial number imbedded in the command frequencies or video stream without huge mods. Probably wouldn’t be able for the tower to request “Ident” as they do for an aircraft transponder, but it doesn’t seem like a huge leap in technology otherwise. I for one am ok with this regulation. We law abiding drone operators would have nothing to worry about, and those who bend the rules, whether drone operators who fly illegally or pilots who misreport drone strikes could be identified

If you are really interested in the FAA plans, you might want to listen to the: UAV DIGEST PODCAST of the 3rd annual conference. Episode March 9th or 3rd.

Reactions: Divebomber
Whenever you use a DJI product you give them permission to monitor part of your life.

That sounds so ominous...but maybe a little over the top? If making sure you are authorized to fly in a particular area or that you are known to them to avoid unauthorized access to airspace constitutes invading my privacy out monitoring"my life" ...in ok with it. My life is a bit more than where I fly....and there are plenty of other agencies companies and governments already watching those aspects! I'm not that intersecting...I swear!

That sounds so ominous...but maybe a little over the top? If making sure you are authorized to fly in a particular area or that you are known to them to avoid unauthorized access to airspace constitutes invading my privacy out monitoring"my life" ...in ok with it.

There are certainly some privacy issues as it relates to DJI and all the information that they gather. If you use your Mavic frequently, they can know a lot about you. Not just if you're in a regulated airspace. You may not be interesting enough (at this point) to be concerned with handing over your whereabouts, interests, home location, time spent in an area, where you travel to, photos and videos that you have taken, your credit card info, etc. to a 3rd party (especially a private company in a Communist autocratic country), but others have seen this as a potential serious privacy issue. This is why the US Dept of Defense now prohibits their use while on duty or on station. And who knows what they will/can do with all the information that they gather.

As you say, there are already others doing this (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) with info coming from your phone and other internet-connected devices. But they are often fiercely protective of your details from government intrusion (something a company from an autocratic country might not be so protective of), many times even refusing to turn over any information without valid warrants, etc. Apple and Google have even refused to provide access to the phones of terrorists, etc. to protect the privacy concerns of their other users. On the flip side though, this is why there is such outcry over breaches in this trust by these same types of companies for things like the Cambridge Analytica issue, the hacking of Equifax, and on and on. It may not seem like a big deal ("who cares if Facebook knows what webpages I'm visiting, since my life is so boring?") but when that sort of thing is turned into action to affect national elections, just as an example, the information doesn't seem so innocuous. The same could be said for all the data that DJI accumulates about the users of its products.

My only point is that DJI owners should be aware of the information that DJI collects on owners. Some are, and many are not, as you can see.

My only point is that DJI owners should be aware of the information that DJI collects on owners. Some are, and many are not, as you can see.
Yes, actually, the US military (and I'm sure other countries, too) has mandated that troops stop using Mavic equipment, since data showing global position, and basic routing is transmitted back to DJI. This could be a severe security issue, especially if we ever get into a dust up with the Chinese. Since then, DJI has assured the military that they can turn off the "phone home" feature, but the military isn't buying it. They'll be using something else.

Yes, actually, the US military (and I'm sure other countries, too) has mandated that troops stop using Mavic equipment, since data showing global position, and basic routing is transmitted back to DJI. This could be a severe security issue, especially if we ever get into a dust up with the Chinese. Since then, DJI has assured the military that they can turn off the "phone home" feature, but the military isn't buying it. They'll be using something else.
That's for the military. I personally don't care if DJI or the government track my info or where I am flying. I don't fly in illegal areas anyway and it's usually in public parks. So I don't have anything to hide when I use my drones.

Reactions: harly
That's for the military. I personally don't care if DJI or the government track my info or where I am flying. I don't fly in illegal areas anyway and it's usually in public parks. So I don't have anything to hide when I use my drones.
Wow, I feel like the point has just zoomed right past you. It’s like when a new draconian law is passed and people say, “I’m not a criminal so I don’t care.” It’s not just about YOU, but about the commmunity as a whole. Of course, it never affects you... until it does. Until one day someone shows up at your house to investigate why (on paper) it seems that you’re staking out multiple national monuments, or why you have interest in a particular location. I realize this all sounds very conspiracy theory-like, but history shows these things do happen, even to the most innocent of people.

The point is, just because you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, doesn’t mean you should be careless about protecting this information because it can (and usually is) be used in an unforeseen, nefarious way.

Reactions: Mavman and Mavflyer
Wow, I feel like the point has just zoomed right past you. It’s like when a new draconian law is passed and people say, “I’m not a criminal so I don’t care.” It’s not just about YOU, but about the commmunity as a whole. Of course, it never affects you... until it does. Until one day someone shows up at your house to investigate why (on paper) it seems that you’re staking out multiple national monuments, or why you have interest in a particular location. I realize this all sounds very conspiracy theory-like, but history shows these things do happen, even to the most innocent of people.

The point is, just because you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, doesn’t mean you should be careless about protecting this information because it can (and usually is) be used in an unforeseen, nefarious way.
Even if the government show up in front of my house to question me about my flying habits. I will invite then where I go and why I choose the site. I always check airmap app to tell me if the area is available or restricted. Like I said before, if drones are not allow, I will not take my aircraft there. I respect and follow the law to the full extent. I do not have anything to hide and anything to be scary of the government or DJI.

...The point is, just because you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, doesn’t mean you should be careless about protecting this information because it can (and usually is) be used in an unforeseen, nefarious way.

Agree 100%. Do not blindly trust government or foreign corporation to protect your privacy or other interests. Saying that you do not care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you do not care about the right to free speech because you have nothing to say.

Hope all is well, can somebody enlighten me to something I was thinking about. I use a dedicated cell phone (No phone service) with no Wi-Fi active with my controller when operating my mp. I do not want my active cell phone to interfere with flying. As long as my dedicated phone is being used with a controller, how would DJI or anyone else know my flying habits. I have not needed to update my DJI go 4 app on my dedicated phone for long time. Any thoughts?

OK. I'm going to make some assumptions here. You say wifi isn't active "when operating the drone". This implies that you DO get on wifi when you're not flying. That would be the point that your flight data is uploaded to DJI. If you see maps on your phone screen as you fly, then your phone is communicating with the internet, either real time, or it is caching (loading ahead of time) maps. This is a capability that allows you to have maps when you're flying out of range of wifi or cellular signal. I believe that has to be actively enabled, though. I've never tried it, because I generally fly within cellular range. In those communication instances, flight data is being uploaded. BTW, you don't need to worry about the phone's cellular frequency conflicting with the drone control signals. They operate on completely different frequencies. As far as an incoming call causing problems with DJI GO4, I think the phone is disabled during flights. More than once I've ended a flight to find that I've missed an incoming call. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not. Sometimes my phone, with all its wondrous capabilities, just doesn't ring when a call comes in. Someone with more knowledge than me can confirm/correct that impression.

thanks for the response, the phone that I use with the controller does not have phone capabilities and is not connected to any other Wi-Fi devices or other Wi-Fi systems.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman