DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Strikes Mavic vs Phantom

I've had the seagulls ground my Mavic and Solo. I may have to try just hovering for a while but I didn't want to lose it in the ocean. They get so close as soon as I take off. Might have to try the Cree strobe. Does anyone have any pics of the mounting?

I mounted mines on a bracket i bought for a light that fits on the front end of my Mavic hot gluing them on the bracket, personally i didnt want to mount anything on my Mavic. but this bracket slips on and off at will but fits firmly enough not to slip off, and i hot glued one to my rear landing gear. I'll post a couple of pics. I'm not sure of it being a deterrent but i know, i can't look directly at the lights while they are on, i haven't had any strikes other than a close call with a hawk months before i ever put the strobe lights on. But they are great for visibility daytime or dusk, they say you can use double sided tape and velcro also to attach them, but i just had a feeling it would fall off, hahaha, i trust hot glue (also i dont have to charge the Cree strobes while they are on the Mavic, everything i put them on are detachable)
Mavic Strobe 2.jpg MAvic Strobe 3.jpg Mavic strobe.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on mounting the strobes. I think I'll do something similar. I see some over the top brackets on thingiverse that I can modify and the 3D print. Thanks for the pictures, they are greatly appreciated.

Roy

Reactions: NestleQuik
Nice job on mounting the strobes. I think I'll do something similar. I see some over the top brackets on thingiverse that I can modify and the 3D print. Thanks for the pictures, they are greatly appreciated.

Roy

No problem

The Mavic looks like a bird from a distance until you make out four arms. I was chased by a squadron of little birds after hovering over trees to set a waypoint. I didn't realize they were coming for my craft until I moved to another position. Luckily the nose of my craft was pointing away from the flock. I went full tilt to increase distance but they were catching up fast. I climbed with my finger hovering over Sport Mode and got away. I thought I was going to lose it.

I flew a lot at the coastal line of Portugal this summer, and the birds there are not familiar with drones. My solution was to fly out slowly and just hover in place for some time, letting them fly around and observe it. They tried to scare it away, but as they saw that it didn't behave in an aggressive way, they calmed down. In a few minutes they usually flew back onto the cliff walls. If they returned to approach the drone while flying, I assumed there was a nest around, and pulled back and around.

Me too i did a lot of flying on the coastline of Portugal this summer and didn't find the seagulls agressive nor interested in the Mavic however here in South Korea they chased and swooped down on the drone several times! Luckily i have had i bird strike yet!

Peregrine.jpg Here's a shot taken from video of a Peregrine Falcon who took a good look back and front of my Mavic on an early morning flight a month ago. Peregrines like pigeons best but they will take down bigger prey.

I had some swifts attack my Mavic in Germany. I pulled up and landed away from the barn that they came out of. I thought nothing of it, until i was flying near my home in Florida I had seagulls swoop down at the Mavic and even a couple of near misses with sparrows. I never had these close calls with my other heli's and drones. My Bumble bee was a similar color but larger and never had any close calls. I did some research online and found that bright colors (yellow especially) does not promote an aggressive action by most birds. I bought the SopiGuard 3M Matte Yellow Vinyl Skin from Amazon. I have not had any bird "attacks" since, and have flown in the same areas.
71XZs4qTTwL._SL1500_.jpg

Tailspin- Love your skin, I do think the bright color may deter my main adversaries in the air, Swallows!
I;ve had 10-15 of them swarm the Mavic, best way to getaway as suggested on here, go straight up, seems to puzzle them & they loose interest.

I had some birds take a close look at my Inspire 2. I a running carbon fiber blades so that would be an interesting confrontation of blade and bone. However, I too went into sports mode and took off at about 100 kph and left them in the wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne