DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird strikes

I don't know where you are located but it is Spring in the PNW. They may be defending their nesting area. Perhaps you could change your MP color with a wrap, or use colored tape for a temporary experiment.

Reactions: bennie
I don’t think it’s nests, I think it’s territory. If they are up there they are hunting it seems every time I fly on the mountain or hillside, especially windward side they come after the Mavic. I’ve been hit a few times as well but only by the bigger ones. The smaller ones do threatening moves though - talking about Hawks and Eagles

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I was hovering over trees when a swarm of birds (yes swarm) began chasing my Mavic. I farted off but they started to catch up. They lost interest when I went vertical on them. :)

Reactions: projockey
I have done research on colours that birds do not like, and hopefully stay away from. Most common opinion is yellow or orange. My MPP and batteries are now clad on the top sides in yellow 3D plastic wrap. No issues for the last 4-5 flights. I hope this helps.

I think a lot of it is because people see the bird and instinctively try to fly away from it. I had probably 5 hawks circling the other day and I went towards them several times, not trying to hit them or anything, but just showing them that I wasn't running from them. They are like most other predators in that if you run, they see you as prey. If you give chase to them, they leave. At least that has been my experience so far. Fingers crossed lol.

Reactions: RichieGG
I think a lot of it is because people see the bird and instinctively try to fly away from it. I had probably 5 hawks circling the other day and I went towards them several times, not trying to hit them or anything, but just showing them that I wasn't running from them. They are like most other predators in that if you run, they see you as prey. If you give chase to them, they leave. At least that has been my experience so far. Fingers crossed lol.
Not sure if I want to risk my $1100 Mavic Pro just to test and see if they will not attack. I rather maintain certain distance if I see few of them in the area.

Part of the reason I went with this skin is to deter bird attacks......plus I liked it too. I haven't had a chance to see if it works yet but I don't see how any bird could think anything alive would look like this :D

Apr 2018.JPG

Not sure if I want to risk my $1100 Mavic Pro just to test and see if they will not attack. I rather maintain certain distance if I see few of them in the area.
I get what you're saying, but I think its probably more risky to fly away. They will probably see it as prey trying to escape, making an attack more likely. I dont have a ton of experience, but from what I have seen, going after them works. I have done it several times and they go away. The first few times they were around, I immediately tried to get away and the birds seemed to hang around. After the little chase that I gave them, they seem to get out of there pretty quick.

I was hovering over trees when a swarm of birds (yes swarm) began chasing my Mavic. I farted off but they started to catch up. They lost interest when I went vertical on them. :)
Like the jetfighter squad/ufo chase, Red dog to Blue leader...he's gone vertical Sir...., OK, Blue leader to Red dog...abort! abort!
Sorry...got carried away.

I am in Hawaii on Oahu, took my 1st flight near China-mans Hat had about 8 eggretts doing passes on me..

I had some birds in my flight area that I think are defending. Then seem to fly in and cut just in front of it while in flight. They have never actually gotten close enough to try to take it but I was in forward flight nearly full forward stick bringing it back towards me and it swooped past so close in front that the accident avoidance was triggered and the drone abruptly stopped for a few seconds. I should
have it on video come to think of it. That has been going on for a few days and I know birds are nesting all around me right now. When you see one very big and round waddling on the ground you know its carrying an egg as some of these were.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebelsun