DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds of Prey

this is the best shot yet! Extremely intimidating. Apex predator at its best!!

I/m not sure that that osprey is looking at the drone as a menace or a meal, but it would certainly scare the xxxx out of me.

Amazing photograph. Cool nerves to take it and not to immediately go to evasive action. I don't underestimate these awesome predators.

Of course I also wondered if this could be a perfectly placed bird in the absolute exact center by Photoshop.

The lighting and focus would certainly make one wonder. But if it Is PS it is very well done indeed.

Redtails are the most numerous large aerial predators out here on the High Plains. They grow quite large, and some folks mistake them for eagles. For aggression and success they give nothing up to the eagles who share their range. I guess the best 'Plan A' if you meet one in the air is to make like you're attacking him, as turning and running will probably be more than he can resist. His prey-drive will kick in and if you're lucky you'll be off to the repair shop. Otherwise, it's probably going to be a burial detail.

The lighting and focus would certainly make one wonder. But if it Is PS it is very well done indeed.

Redtails are the most numerous large aerial predators out here on the High Plains. They grow quite large, and some folks mistake them for eagles. For aggression and success they give nothing up to the eagles who share their range. I guess the best 'Plan A' if you meet one in the air is to make like you're attacking him, as turning and running will probably be more than he can resist. His prey-drive will kick in and if you're lucky you'll be off to the repair shop. Otherwise, it's probably going to be a burial detail.
Best to ascend straight up. They can't follow.

The shot was not edited. I don't think that would be appropriate.
Other than cropped. Originals shown.IMG_0091.JPGIMG_0093.JPG

The shot was taken in NE Victoria, Australia. The bird is a wedge-tail eagle. (They can have up to a 2m or 7' wingspan)
I live on a small rocky mountain range and often have these birds fly around my drone to have a look if it may need to attack. Once I spot the eagle I immediately withdraw from the area...respect.
One of our birds, the sulphur crested cockatoos are also keen to see this intruder and will swoop and flock around the drone which is a bit intimidating but as mentioned by Gadget Guy, flying up higher solves the problem. These birds seem to have a flight ceiling of around 60-80m.

Amazing! @Ken Sibley Thanks for sharing. I've not had encounters this close.

Switch to SPORT mode and ascend.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000