Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Birds of Prey

Rchawks

Reaction score
Man what a great shot. On the slopes the seagulls use to chase us and the faster we flew the more they would give chase. But I never nailed a shot like that looking right at you.

Dale D

Reaction score
I/m not sure that that osprey is looking at the drone as a menace or a meal, but it would certainly scare the xxxx out of me.

Plainsman

Reaction score
Amazing photograph. Cool nerves to take it and not to immediately go to evasive action. I don't underestimate these awesome predators.

Dale D

Reaction score
Of course I also wondered if this could be a perfectly placed bird in the absolute exact center by Photoshop.

Plainsman

Reaction score
The lighting and focus would certainly make one wonder. But if it Is PS it is very well done indeed.

Redtails are the most numerous large aerial predators out here on the High Plains. They grow quite large, and some folks mistake them for eagles. For aggression and success they give nothing up to the eagles who share their range. I guess the best 'Plan A' if you meet one in the air is to make like you're attacking him, as turning and running will probably be more than he can resist. His prey-drive will kick in and if you're lucky you'll be off to the repair shop. Otherwise, it's probably going to be a burial detail.

GadgetGuy

Reaction score
The lighting and focus would certainly make one wonder. But if it Is PS it is very well done indeed.

Redtails are the most numerous large aerial predators out here on the High Plains. They grow quite large, and some folks mistake them for eagles. For aggression and success they give nothing up to the eagles who share their range. I guess the best 'Plan A' if you meet one in the air is to make like you're attacking him, as turning and running will probably be more than he can resist. His prey-drive will kick in and if you're lucky you'll be off to the repair shop. Otherwise, it's probably going to be a burial detail.
Best to ascend straight up. They can't follow.

Ken Sibley

Reaction score
The shot was not edited. I don't think that would be appropriate.
Other than cropped. Originals shown.IMG_0091.JPGIMG_0093.JPG

The shot was taken in NE Victoria, Australia. The bird is a wedge-tail eagle. (They can have up to a 2m or 7' wingspan)
I live on a small rocky mountain range and often have these birds fly around my drone to have a look if it may need to attack. Once I spot the eagle I immediately withdraw from the area...respect.
One of our birds, the sulphur crested cockatoos are also keen to see this intruder and will swoop and flock around the drone which is a bit intimidating but as mentioned by Gadget Guy, flying up higher solves the problem. These birds seem to have a flight ceiling of around 60-80m.

Hawkwind

Reaction score
Amazing! @Ken Sibley Thanks for sharing. I've not had encounters this close.

Hawkwind

Reaction score
Switch to SPORT mode and ascend.

DJI Drone Service
All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paolo_leo