DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules on flying near birds of prey?

I worry most in the spring, not so much with the large birds of prey, more with the small sparrows and songbirds. I'm most guarded when the adults are making multiple flights to feed their young. They're flying with food in their beak and also looking out for hawks and falcons. Not watching out for drones. Please be careful in the Springtime.

You can see by the shadow that the bird is already engaging the drone, when he realized that he turned around, and then he pursued the bird; then finally landed... and that's basically the correct way to act in situations like that.

When a bird is after your drone, first you ascend (no bird can follow an ascending drone) and move away, but if it still persists, following the bird to "show him who's the boss" is the way to go, else the bird will think you are a prey and will attack the drone (which was already happening at the beginning of the video).

And that doesn't mean you should fly near nesting areas.
I also heard that most birds of prey avoid approaching bright orange fluorescent colored objects/targets. Try some sizeable fluorescent orange punisher sticker on top shell of your drone. I’m told they help get you time to retreat.

Reactions: dan.utinske
I also heard that most birds of prey avoid approaching bright orange fluorescent colored objects/targets. Try some sizeable fluorescent orange punisher sticker on top shell of your drone. I’m told they help get you time to retreat.
Is there any factual support for that? I've looked and found nothing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas