DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BLACK BARS- How did they get there- how to get rid of them

Sorry to hear that Dale. One more reason I’m sticking with Davinci Resolve.

You may just need to restart your Mac, there may be services still running.
Yes- I got rid of the error message by re-booting the MAC. I now have my 2020 program back with the black bars. I'm putting it to rest until after Adobe support call Monday. To be continued and thanks so much for your great help and attention.

Yes- I got rid of the error message by re-booting the MAC. I now have my 2020 program back with the black bars. I'm putting it to rest until after Adobe support call Monday. To be continued and thanks so much for your great help and attention.

Always happy to help a fellow pilot!

Creating colour bars from within Premiere will definitely help point to the cause. It’ll confirm the project sequence is set correctly.

Feel free to PM tomorrow if you need a hand.

Richard.

Always happy to help a fellow pilot!

Creating colour bars from within Premiere will definitely help point to the cause. It’ll confirm the project sequence is set correctly.

Feel free to PM tomorrow if you need a hand.

Richard.
YAY! I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!! My image ratios were not set up to 16:9 in the new update. I went to SEQUENCE and entered 16:9 and 24 fps and all of the black bars went away!!!!! I now have to re-do titles and re-render and then upload to Vimeo and You Tube.

Yay!! I knew you wouldn’t call it a day today!

Glad you’ve got it sorted.

Happy editing again.

Richard.

Glad you found it!!

I usually create a new sequence using the File/New/Sequence approach. Most of what I do is in 4K so I find the correct red setting for that pixel size. Once chosen, I double check all of the settings with that selection on the resulting pop-up screen. From there, if any clips are filmed in another resolution, I left click on that clip and choose "set to frame size". At render I double check all of the parameters to ensure they are the same as the sequence settings.

So far no problems using that approach.

Reactions: Dale D
Glad you found it!!

I usually create a new sequence using the File/New/Sequence approach. Most of what I do is in 4K so I find the correct red setting for that pixel size. Once chosen, I double check all of the settings with that selection on the resulting pop-up screen. From there, if any clips are filmed in another resolution, I left click on that clip and choose "set to frame size". At render I double check all of the parameters to ensure they are the same as the sequence settings.

So far no problems using that approach.
Wish I knew that 2 days ago. I am straightened out now. I am soon going to publics the black band free edition to You Tube and Vimeo. Then, re-submit to the forum for a re-view for anyone who still has not seen it. Thanks for everyone's help. The forum remains a great resource as usual.

Wish I knew that 2 days ago. I am straightened out now. I am soon going to publics the black band free edition to You Tube and Vimeo. Then, re-submit to the forum for a re-view for anyone who still has not seen it. Thanks for everyone's help. The forum remains a great resource as usual.
Honestly, I'm surprised. I wasn't going to post because I was sure it was something you already knew. You've already helped me with many things I knew nothing about. Glad I had something to offer. Sorry I was late, lol. I got drafted to video a wedding and am preparing for that. Keeping a bit busy

Honestly, I'm surprised. I wasn't going to post because I was sure it was something you already knew. You've already helped me with many things I knew nothing about. Glad I had something to offer. Sorry I was late, lol. I got drafted to video a wedding and am preparing for that. Keeping a bit busy
Don't be so hard on yourself! My mother once told me, "Never Assume." So you thought I would know that but in reality I am very green about Premiere Pro. I really love the new video without those nasty black bars. I hate Adobe for so many updates. They drive me f...crazy. When in doubt, just tell me. I would never be offended by simple things. There are no dumb questions in my book.

I am still struggling to learn how my technique, settings on the drone, or my software (Adobe Premiere Pro) created these black bars? I have tried shooting at 16:9 and 3:2 settings in video on my Mavic2 Pro, have spend hours on You Tube reading all of the videos about eliminating black bars. I will attach a screen grab rom my latest video which was in this forum yesterday. My question is, Is this a setting I not making in the settings of the M2P or is it in the Premiere Processing? Is is the Premiere Export settings? I would like to have the image be full frame. Would appreciate help from anyone.

Dale
View attachment 116307
Check the aspect ratio in your drone and also in your composition in Adobe Premier Pro

Check the aspect ratio in your drone and also in your composition in Adobe Premier Pro
YES! I have solved the problem as mentioned above. My image ratios were not set up to 16:9 in the new update. I went to SEQUENCE and entered 16:9 and 24 fps and all of the black bars went away!!!!! I now have to re-do titles and re-render and then upload to Vimeo and You Tube. I re-did the entire thing and re-published it and it is just above in this thread. Please view it again in FULL FRAME. Motto- when upgrading Adobe Premiere Pro to newest edition I did not go into the Sequence>re-set sequence to 16:9 ratio. I hate new upgrades!

YES! I have solved the problem as mentioned above. My image ratios were not set up to 16:9 in the new update. I went to SEQUENCE and entered 16:9 and 24 fps and all of the black bars went away!!!!! I now have to re-do titles and re-render and then upload to Vimeo and You Tube. I re-did the entire thing and re-published it and it is just above in this thread. Please view it again in FULL FRAME. Motto- when upgrading Adobe Premiere Pro to newest edition I did not go into the Sequence>re-set sequence to 16:9 ratio. I hate new upgrades!
Great ?

I am still struggling to learn how my technique, settings on the drone, or my software (Adobe Premiere Pro) created these black bars? ... would like to have the image be full frame. Would appreciate help from anyone.

Dale
There are several ways. I have been using and learning Premiere since about 1997 and am still learning. I would suggest Jason Levine's video series at YouTube.

I didn't read all so forgive me if this was asked but what does it look like if you open the raw footage from the sd card with a media player (ie VLC, Windows media player, etc)?

Also remember when you mix footage, Premiere will use the settings of the first piece of footage you import. Sometimes that can be a &)^$%)(*&#@$%_ moment. ?

Hi Dale,

Is it just video from your aircraft you’re having this issue with?

What Video Resolution do you have set on your aircraft?

What resolution are you using on the sequence in Premiere?

Premiere tries to set the frame size and pixel aspect ratio automatically and it’s not that unusual for it to get it wrong. In my last job we imported many different formats for customer demos and it often got mixed up. Premiere has a set of ‘rules’ that are saved in a text file and can be changed if the default frame size etc is wrong.

The Fit option in the sequence/record window just fits the video to the maximum viewing size of the window.

When you are exporting, what video resolution are you using?

Richard.
I shoot everything in 4K/24 fps on the drone and on the timelapses. I render the timelapses at 16:9. In the Mavic 2 Pro I set to 3840 x 2160. (4K) but cannot decide between Full field of view (4K FOV) or 4K HQ 3840x2160?????. I really need lessons in Premiere Pro of how to set the sequences.

Shall I use 4K HQ 3840x2160 or 4K FOV?

IMG_0843.PNGIMG_0844.PNGIMG_0844.PNGView attachment 116709

I shoot everything in 4K/24 fps on the drone and on the timelapses. I render the timelapses at 16:9. In the Mavic 2 Pro I set to 3840 x 2160. (4K) but cannot decide between Full field of view (4K FOV) or 4K HQ 3840x2160?????. I really need lessons in Premiere Pro of how to set the sequences.

Shall I use 4K HQ 3840x2160 or 4K FOV?

View attachment 116708View attachment 116710View attachment 116710View attachment 116709
HQ has a slightly longer lens length than FOV. Something like 35mm vs 28mm equivalent. I like HQ myself. The difference is pretty slight. In Premiere simply left click on the clip and choose set to frame size to get everything matched up to the sequence. When you start a sequence the first clip you drop onto the time line will set the frame size, so if you use all 3840x2160 no worries. All clips will match.

As SmilingOgre has said the first clip on the timeline will set the frame rate. You can double-check the Project and Sequence settings to make sure it is correct.

The FOV option is shot full frame from the sensor and is then processed to downsample to 4K. The HQ option shoots at a true 4K resolution using a more central part of the sensor. As it is a smaller area of the sensor the effective field of view narrows. It will however give you the highest quality image with the least processing.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
As SmilingOgre has said the first clip on the timeline will set the frame rate. You can double-check the Project and Sequence settings to make sure it is correct.

The FOV option is shot full frame from the sensor and is then processed to downsample to 4K. The HQ option shoots at a true 4K resolution using a more central part of the sensor. As it is a smaller area of the sensor the effective field of view narrows. It will however give you the highest quality image with the least processing.
So I am now changing my settings to HQIMG_0844 2.PNG

Will be interested to know how you get on. I’m about to do the same with Davinci Resolve but 4K is pushing my 2013 MacBook Pro to its limits so I’m having to work with proxies instead.
I have totally given up on editing on Mac Book Pro. I bought the most powerful one sold but it is worthless to edit video, so I save all of my travel editing until I get home to my iMAC. It still does a great job on Photoshop, Lightroom, and LR5Timelapse software and I try to do some timelapse editing while on tour. I could use proxy editing, but Its just rather wail until I get back to my desktop.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929