DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BLACK BARS- How did they get there- how to get rid of them

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I am still struggling to learn how my technique, settings on the drone, or my software (Adobe Premiere Pro) created these black bars? I have tried shooting at 16:9 and 3:2 settings in video on my Mavic2 Pro, have spend hours on You Tube reading all of the videos about eliminating black bars. I will attach a screen grab rom my latest video which was in this forum yesterday. My question is, Is this a setting I not making in the settings of the M2P or is it in the Premiere Processing? Is is the Premiere Export settings? I would like to have the image be full frame. Would appreciate help from anyone.

Dale
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 12.14.51 PM.png

This seems like a processing thing. I'm a Premiere Pro noob too, but the most obvious thing I can think of is...

Screenshot 2020-11-02 013037.png

Selecting "Fit" for the zoom level when you are editing.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
This seems like a processing thing. I'm a Premiere Pro noob too, but the most obvious thing I can think of is...

View attachment 116311

Selecting "Fit" for the zoom level when you are editing.
Unfortunately that the first thing I always do! I have done a ton of videos doing that but now, something else has happened in my settings or exporting which I cannot figure out.

Unfortunately that the first thing I always do! I have done a ton of videos doing that but now, something else has happened in my settings or exporting which I cannot figure out.

Then my guess is that it's got something to do with export settings. I'm a noob too, so sorry I can't help more directly. I'll point you to two YouTube channels that might help:

I found this video to be extremely helpful for the basics. The channel has lots of Adode Premiere tutorials.

Russ also has a great beginner video here. He (@51 Drones ) also happens to be a forum member here and might be able to help.

Then my guess is that it's got something to do with export settings. I'm a noob too, so sorry I can't help more directly. I'll point you to two YouTube channels that might help:

I found this video to be extremely helpful for the basics. The channel has lots of Adode Premiere tutorials.

Russ also has a great beginner video here. He (@51 Drones ) also happens to be a forum member here and might be able to help.
Hi Heindrich1988 and thanks for your input. I have been following your stuff here since you joined. I am quite familiar with 51 Drones and Russ. Hope he picks up on this and I am going to write him too. We have toured China extensively in three separate trips. Firstly we did the routine run of Hong Kong (before.China was opened to the public), an all of the tourist areas on the eastern part of the country. Several years ago we returned , doing Myanmar and then into Kunming, and up towards Lijiang and Tibet border. See map.

Attachments

• China trip.jpg
    China trip.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Heindrich1988
Hi Dale,

Is it just video from your aircraft you’re having this issue with?

What Video Resolution do you have set on your aircraft?

What resolution are you using on the sequence in Premiere?

Premiere tries to set the frame size and pixel aspect ratio automatically and it’s not that unusual for it to get it wrong. In my last job we imported many different formats for customer demos and it often got mixed up. Premiere has a set of ‘rules’ that are saved in a text file and can be changed if the default frame size etc is wrong.

The Fit option in the sequence/record window just fits the video to the maximum viewing size of the window.

When you are exporting, what video resolution are you using?

Richard.

Hi Dale,

Is it just video from your aircraft you’re having this issue with? No

What Video Resolution do you have set on your aircraft? 4K

What resolution are you using on the sequence in Premiere? 4K

Premiere tries to set the frame size and pixel aspect ratio automatically and it’s not that unusual for it to get it wrong. In my last job we imported many different formats for customer demos and it often got mixed up. Premiere has a set of ‘rules’ that are saved in a text file and can be changed if the default frame size etc is wrong.

The Fit option in the sequence/record window just fits the video to the maximum viewing size of the window.

When you are exporting, what video resolution are you using? 4K. 3840 x 2160

Richard.
No, Richard- I notice it on the Mavic 2 Pro footage and the timelapse sequences done with the Nikon D70 which leads me to think it is a setting in export of video in Adobe Premiere. I went back over the drone setting again. I am shooting 4K. (3840x2160) as usual. I use D-Log M, encoding H.265 ,and edit in Adobe Premiere Pro. Video format is .MP4.. I Premiere I export to media, then use my usual export settings, at 24 frames per second, high but rate, 2 passes. I set the fit using the fit to screen size.

[email protected]

No, Richard- I notice it on the Mavic 2 Pro footage and the timelapse sequences done with the Nikon D70 which leads me to think it is a setting in export of video in Adobe Premiere. I went back over the drone setting again. I am shooting 4K. (3840x2160) as usual. I use D-Log M, encoding H.265 ,and edit in Adobe Premiere Pro. Video format is .MP4.. I Premiere I export to media, then use my usual export settings, at 24 frames per second, high but rate, 2 passes. I set the fit using the fit to screen size.

[email protected]

Dale the only thing I can think of now is that the video problem your having is on the Nikon Camera.
I found this excerpt : -1080 signal area that has black bars around it. ... you desire, there may be more HDMI/movie settings you'll want to make on the camera to rid of them.

Check your setting on the Camera .

Dale the only thing I can think of now is that the video problem your having is on the Nikon Camera.
I found this excerpt : -1080 signal area that has black bars around it. ... you desire, there may be more HDMI/movie settings you'll want to make on the camera to rid of them.

Check your setting on the Camera .
Thanks for the input but frankly, I have done at least a hundred timelapse videos and they are all full frame on the Premiere Export. You just need to look through my videos for proof, and I have done nothing different as far as I can tell,. but now, I notice that the image is smaller in addition to the black bars. Here is my vimeo site for review. Dale Davis,M.D.

Thanks for the input but frankly, I have done at least a hundred timelapse videos and they are all full frame on the Premiere Export. You just need to look through my videos for proof, and I have done nothing different as far as I can tell,. but now, I notice that the image is smaller in addition to the black bars. Here is my vimeo site for review. Dale Davis,M.D.

Got one more idea lets reverse engineer, go to the effects in the video and use the Scale to add the bars or make them bigger, I notice your in the effects window so that has got to be where there coming from ; Scale out of them or un check the Scale , lets see if it is that simple. ?

This is What I think you did:

Screenshot 11-01-2020 15.09.00.jpg

Last edited:

[email protected]

It could be either import or export.

Try creating a new project and sequence and then just add colour bars to the sequence (I think colour bars can be created from the File -> New menu. Make sure the colour bars match what you have set the sequence to.

Then export as normal.

If the size is wrong then it’s most likely an export issue. Either way it will rule out an import issue.

Got one more idea lets reverse engineer, go to the effects in the video and use the Scale to add the bars or make them bigger, I notice your in the effects window so that has got to be where there coming from ; Scale out of them or un check the Scale , lets see if it is that simple. ?

This is What I think you did:

View attachment 116319
Dear Richard

I am now rendering the entire film and will wait for the results. I went back into the program, and re-sized in effects All o the clips with black bars. I went to the effects tab, and increased the scale to over 100%- fro as little as 107% to 130%. Then I -re-rendered each clip and now and rendering the entire film. I know for sure that I did not down-scale originally. We shall wait for it and I w ill re-send it back out for you.

Dear Richard

I am now rendering the entire film and will wait for the results. I went back into the program, and re-sized in effects All o the clips with black bars. I went to the effects tab, and increased the scale to over 100%- fro as little as 107% to 130%. Then I -re-rendered each clip and now and rendering the entire film. I know for sure that I did not down-scale originally. We shall wait for it and I w ill re-send it back out for you.
Ok- I am back- Yes- re-sizing the image in Premiere Pro effects using the SCALE key frames does eliminate the black bars but it also zooms in on the image and the frame and makes the FOV (field of view) smaller. See screen shot. I think I would rather have the larger image and the black bars if I cannot solve this in any other way. Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 3.42.45 PM.png

Hey Dale,

You shouldn’t need to resize anything - unless you have specifically added a resize effect to a clip (or clips) on the timeline. Did you do this originally to try and remove the black bars?

Hoping your render is good this time.

Hey Dale,

You shouldn’t need to resize anything - unless you have specifically added a resize effect to a clip (or clips) on the timeline. Did you do this originally to try and remove the black bars?

Hoping your render is good this time.
I went through the entire film and eliminate all black bars, by using the SCALE effects. I decided not to render the entire clip because I had accidentally erased the pre and end titles and just didn't;t want to go through the waiting. I am going to spend some time this week re-filming with timelapse Nikon DSLR and Mavic 2 Pro and see if I can fix the issue. Thanks for your help. I sure there were some Adobe guru out there. I think I will make a call the Adobe (support in China, India). They have always been able to help me before if I can understand their highly accented English. I think my problem is in setting up the program from the beginning with "Sequence", frame size, etc.).

I think the setup could well be the cause. Many of the editors have an auto setup timeline (sequence), which tries to match itself to the incoming media. Premiere Pro is one of those and it will prompt you if the clips don’t match the current sequence. It will give you the option to change the clips to match the sequence or the sequence to match the clips.

For example, if you have a 4K sequence and drop 2K clips onto it, without changes it will lead to smaller video frame within the 4K frame size displayed in the sequence monitor - similar to what you are seeing.

The Project settings also come into play. The project file contains a reference to all the media, sequences, effects, video resolution and codec.

More than happy to help you.

Richard.

I think the setup could well be the cause. Many of the editors have an auto setup timeline (sequence), which tries to match itself to the incoming media. Premiere Pro is one of those and it will prompt you if the clips don’t match the current sequence. It will give you the option to change the clips to match the sequence or the sequence to match the clips.

For example, if you have a 4K sequence and drop 2K clips onto it, without changes it will lead to smaller video frame within the 4K frame size displayed in the sequence monitor - similar to what you are seeing.

The Project settings also come into play. The project file contains a reference to all the media, sequences, effects, video resolution and codec.

More than happy to help you.

Richard.
You just gave me another idea! I have just recently accepted and uploaded the NEW Adobe Creative Cloud across the board updates which updated all of my Adobe stuff (Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc). My previous edits were all one with Premiere Pro 2019 and this issue is Premiere Pro 2020. ****! every time I update something I get screwed. I now need to go back and re-do with old version. Click on attachment. What do you think?

Attachments

• Premier Pro issues-see arrows.jpg
    Premier Pro issues-see arrows.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 5
You just gave me another idea! I have just recently accepted and uploaded the NEW Adobe Creative Cloud across the board updates which updated all of my Adobe stuff (Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc). My previous edits were all one with Premiere Pro 2019 and this issue is Premiere Pro 2020. ****! every time I update something I get screwed. I now need to go back and re-do with old version. Click on attachment. What do you think?

Ah, ha!! I wouldn’t be at all surprised Dale. When we went to 2018 our default project settings were overridden, the default became 1080p instead of 1080i.

Let me know how you go. I’ll be back online in the morning.

Richard.

Ah, ha!! I wouldn’t be at all surprised Dale. When we went to 2018 our default project settings were overridden, the default became 1080p instead of 1080i.

Let me know how you go. I’ll be back online in the morning.

Richard.
I have now uninstalled both programs- and cannot re-install. Have n error message. Cannot uninstall a component that is preventing red-install. Need to call Adobe (IndiA!!! I think Chenai with heavy Indian accent_ tomorrow. No more for tonight.

I have now uninstalled both programs- and cannot re-install. Have n error message. Cannot uninstall a component that is preventing red-install. Need to call Adobe (IndiA!!! I think Chenai with heavy Indian accent_ tomorrow. No more for tonight.

Sorry to hear that Dale. One more reason I’m sticking with Davinci Resolve.

You may just need to restart your Mac, there may be services still running.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan