DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blade Strike in P mode

If you search, you'll find some other threads on this. A known problem evidently. Flex in the arms. Some try ti find ways to stiffen the arms. It happened to me with my Mini under circumstances where I was not ascending at a modest pace to about 30. Wind was not strong, but must have hit it at just the right (or wrong might be the better word) angle. I could hear just the slightest "tick" noise of the blades sticking. No marks on the body of the done, but slight unacceptable nicks in the ends of the blades. I returned my Mini (my first drone) because of it, concluding that it was just too delicate for the uses I plan to put it too. Some people, though, seem to never have the problem at all.

Had a thought that in addition to possible flex, might not the tip of the blades be bending down more. With age I think the pitch of the tips flatten slightly towards level from the original angle of attack which keeps the blade up and loosing lift. I suspect props held against the mini's body in storage can cause the flattening and make them more prone to strikes, especially at faster speeds like in Sport Mode.

Thx bud...mini sitting on desk...arms open always...this is my 8th (eight) flight only in gentle weather and winds and always in P or C mode...

DJI would not open ticket...they say to just change blades...this is only my 8th flight...am in Montreal area...
This guys had his front arms replaced by DJI

Reactions: WooZie
I flew mostly in P mode, never in Sport, and sometimes in the Mini's equivalent of tripod (cine I think?). I had the drone less than two weeks, and fewer than 12 flights, when I got my prop strike. I know I was in P mode because it was within a couple of minutes of taking off, and I always start off in P mode and then sometimes well into the flight would go to the tripod equivalent. So: P mode, new blades, mild conditions = prop strike (for me). FWIW.

I have had this happen to me as well a few times. I only ever fly in P or C mode as well and not overly far or too high as I am relatively new to flying.

Blade Strike in P mode...View attachment 98210View attachment 98210

...any thoughts...?
I must be 1 out of how many??? There are several issues going on with the Mini. I cant find any of them with the one I have. Is it because there are Minis out there that have 0 issues and I happened to get one. I'm happy not to endure some of the problems but I also feel for you guys.
20200409_083836.jpg

On those who get blade strikes, do your blades track straight? By which I mean if you look from the side with them spinning (ideally not in the air), is it just one line where both blades follow the same path, or does one look lower than the other (will show as a blur)?
With RC helis we check tracking before every flight - granted the rotors are much longer and heavier so there's a lot more energy there if they aren't balanced - but it might be worth checking if your Mini is prone to strikes to see if there is an imbalance that will cause vibration and them to move up and down more than they should. It could be that a prop is loose or deformed, and the plastic on Mini blades is so thin it wouldn't take much to deform enough in storage or high speed manoeuvring .

On those who get blade strikes, do your blades track straight? By which I mean if you look from the side with them spinning (ideally not in the air), is it just one line where both blades follow the same path, or does one look lower than the other (will show as a blur)?
With RC helis we check tracking before every flight - granted the rotors are much longer and heavier so there's a lot more energy there if they aren't balanced - but it might be worth checking if your Mini is prone to strikes to see if there is an imbalance that will cause vibration and them to move up and down more than they should. It could be that a prop is loose or deformed, and the plastic on Mini blades is so thin it wouldn't take much to deform enough in storage or high speed manoeuvring .
...good point...when I was flying helos, we would feel a shake on the cyclic and thus, prob was easily identified...will take a good look...thx for reminder :)

I must be 1 out of how many??? There are several issues going on with the Mini. I cant find any of them with the one I have. Is it because there are Minis out there that have 0 issues and I happened to get one. I'm happy not to endure some of the problems but I also feel for you guys.
View attachment 98270
Took 3 months of regular flying before I had a prop strike

Reactions: WooZie
...guess the things get soft...in my ca
Just did a check...props track very straight....hmmm, probably they go soft in flight...would carbon fiber blades be better and would it void the warranty...?

Attachments

• Strike.jpg
    Strike.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 30
I’m going to put the on props that came with the combo just to see if prop strike becomes prevalent. When the props are spinning it looks like at least 1/2 inch space/gap between props and top shell. I can’t visualize the props flexing the amount that it needs to flex before striking the body.

I’m going to put the on props that came with the combo just to see if prop strike becomes prevalent. When the props are spinning it looks like at least 1/2 inch space/gap between props and top shell. I can’t visualize the props flexing the amount that it needs to flex before striking the body.
My props have the same clearance, but they do hit sometimes, listen out for a clicking sound as well as evidence on prop and body

Reactions: WooZie and captqbec
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi