DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boosted Mavic Air

Cool thanks kevin.... james told me to wait he was working on some things with the air... as far as distance I get 12 to 13 thousand feet pretty much all the time on air...but sometimes my feed will lag so maybe 5.8 might be best.... also I have achieved better signal on 5.8 stock consistently on the air and on the Phantom 4 Pro.... theoretically 2.4 should be better but the way DJI have 5.8 set up with strength I always get better results

You get that stock!? We are seeing 800 feet stock and got it to about 4K boosted but still choppy video. That’s in a highly congested area though. But how much juice do you have left in the battery at that range?

Cool thanks kevin.... james told me to wait he was working on some things with the air... as far as distance I get 12 to 13 thousand feet pretty much all the time on air...but sometimes my feed will lag so maybe 5.8 might be best.... also I have achieved better signal on 5.8 stock consistently on the air and on the Phantom 4 Pro.... theoretically 2.4 should be better but the way DJI have 5.8 set up with strength I always get better results

IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

You get that stock!? We are seeing 800 feet stock and got it to about 4K boosted but still choppy video. That’s in a highly congested area though. But how much juice do you have left in the battery at that range?
Yes ill put some shots up. And I would definitely say I'm in a congested area Philly area I just manually pick my channel I think that is the difference and yes I got those same pictures that you sent me in email looking good.....when i cane back after doing 13,117 i had 23 % i think? But on this run it actually started to come back when low battery smart rth kicked in @ 12000 for a good 1000 ft turned back around and kept pressing on....so a few things to note. When turning vps off with air speed doesnt change. So sport mode kept at about 25mph seems to be the most efficient. (Lots of testing) 18 mph too slow... and if you look at a few of the other guys on YouTube getting. 5500 m they are in sport but not full blast.... also when you are in rth and u should be(ill explain why) u can attain a faster speed and not worry about p mode or sport mode, and trying to hold the stick perfectly. put it in return to home, and press right stick forward. you will achieve about 28 mph which is still efficient.... last time i went out at 13 000 ft (recently) came back with 39 % I just recently purchased a few different antennas to test I will check out your website I was in talks with one of your guys there. But u seem pretty busy so one day I would get a response....one day I would'nt, I like what you guys are doing.

Attachments

• 20180213_234504.jpg
    20180213_234504.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20180210-111522.jpg
    Screenshot_20180210-111522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20180213-112608.jpg
    Screenshot_20180213-112608.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Yes ill put some shots up. And I would definitely say I'm in a congested area Philly area I just manually pick my channel I think that is the difference and yes I got those same pictures that you sent me in email looking good.

I’ve done manual and auto channel. I think I’ll try another area. I may be getting too picky. If it works better in 90% of the environments I’d say it’s good to go.

I’ve done manual and auto channel. I think I’ll try another area. I may be getting too picky. If it works better in 90% of the environments I’d say it’s good to go.
Yea id say its good too! Anyway i think one can achieve close to 18,000ft if not a little over cruising at an efficient speed and no hiccups with just enough battery in the tank which is pretty phenomenal....some guy on yt got a little over 5,500m and another got over 5200m

Last edited:
When someone gonna make a small amplified antenna because that’s why l got the Air.

Right....im looking for some sunhans for the 4hawks

I wish someone would just make a tiny all in one. Cmon Titan, plez do this!

I wish someone would just make a tiny all in one. Cmon Titan, plez do this!
Think they have something else in mind idk if they announced product yet so not going to say name...might be on website. .....

Edit yea dont see it on website yet....just know its pretty cool! ....ill let james tell u or announce on website when ready.

Anyway i see maxxuav have a setup for just boosters that will fit remote just have to find out if it does 2.4 and 5.8... it's a pretty compact set up

Think they have something else in mind idk if they announced product yet so not going to say name...might be on website. .....

Edit yea dont see it on website yet....just know its pretty cool! ....ill let james tell u or announce on website when ready.

Anyway i see maxxuav have a setup for just boosters that will fit remote just have to find out if it does 2.4 and 5.8... it's a pretty compact set up
I heard you got somethin special for the Mavic Air..

Here u go james talks about the "switch " here
He made this video today

My setup is working around this. It should be SUPER compact

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 68
So is the Switch kit compatible with the Mavic Air? Their website only says "Mavic Series" which could mean the Pro and Platinum. The controller used in the video was also a Pro controller.

So is the Switch kit compatible with the Mavic Air? Their website only says "Mavic Series" which could mean the Pro and Platinum. The controller used in the video was also a Pro controller.
Yes....because u can switch out for 2.4 or 5.8

Reactions: Verizondrone28
With the "switch" in omni directional mode aka the Atlas, you will still need to pick a 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz core panel (no.1 panel) to work with the whip antennas.

I suspect this means the control panel (no.2 panel) you can add will need to be the same frequency as the core panel. e.g 2.4 ghz all the way through

I don't think you can use a 2.4 base panel and then add a 5.8 Control to get a amplified 5.8 Control
I don't think you can switch frequencies, but you can switch from omni to directional

But don't you also need a boosted signal on the drone side for a complete solution?
Nope. The simplest and cheapest solution -- a directional antenna -- works to amplify both the transmitted and received signal, and also reduces noise. Common "windsurfers" do this.

The easiest way to understand is to think of a passive megaphone. It will both amplify your voice, and if put to your ear what you hear, in the direction it's pointed. The person at the other end doesn't have to shout any louder for you to hear them when you otherwise can't without the cone at your ear.

This is because without the cone, the energy striking your eardrum is proportional to the cross-sectional area of your ear canal. With the cone, the sound energy collected is the cross-sectional area of the large end of the device, which is then focused and concentrated down to the smaller surface area of your ear canal -- an amplification of 1-2 orders of magnitude.

Your aircraft doesn't need to shout any louder if you simply listen harder, which is what "windsurfers" do on the recieve end. The do the same on transmit -- yell in one direction instead of all directions. Same energy, but concentrated in one place.

As such, your antenna becomes directional, and you have to watch your orientation to make sure you're pointing in the direction of the aircraft.

Really you do get the range with the dual parabolic dishes. I think I spent 10 or 12 bucks with shipping from Amazon. They are great and the best part is they fit the Spark and Mav Pro remotes so it’s an all in one solution for what you wanna fly that day. Just remember they are highly directional so keep track of your bird and keep the remote pointed right at it. Otherwise you may fall in a bit of trouble as your DJI Goodness flies away. I also. Use the one for my Phantoms 3S and 3SE. They really do work wonders.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo