DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boosted Mavic Air

KevinPritchett

Reactions
Go big or go home. I’ve set up my Mavic Air to go boosted with my Titan (Atlas or Cyclone) 2.4 or 5.8 antennas. If I’m traveling light I can always pull out the FPVLR. I’m not a range junky but I can promise 2.5 miles can be easily exceed if necessary. Initial test in a highly congested area have been phenomenal. 09BD2CF1-D83E-4F8C-91DF-6D7B38352BE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zwt100 and alee
Go big or go home. I’ve set up my Mavic Air to go boosted with my Titan (Atlas or Cyclone) 2.4 or 5.8 antennas. If I’m traveling light I can always pull out the FPVLR. I’m not a range junky but I can promise 2.5 miles can be easily exceed if necessary right now. Initial test in a highly congested area have been phenomenal. View attachment 30559
Let us know. And when you have your full results, then post them on the leaderboard thread.
Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

But don't you also need a boosted signal on the drone side for a complete solution?

From any specs I've seen of drones and controllers, the controller is always the weaker side of the equation. People have gotten better range out of the Mavic with a couple of pieces of tin foil or $7 parabolic range extenders. I believe Rick from Drone Valley did a test and swears by them.

Reactions: KevinPritchett
That's counter intuitive to me (though I know nothing about radio comm) - I mean just based on the (effectively unlimited) amount of room available in the controller and the lack of weight constraints in the controller (unlike the drone itself) you would think that the drone is the weak link when it comes to comm.

Reactions: avanti1963
That's counter intuitive to me (though I know nothing about radio comm) - I mean just based on the (effectively unlimited) amount of room available in the controller and the lack of weight constraints in the controller (unlike the drone itself) you would think that the drone is the weak link when it comes to comm.

The boost comes from a powered antenna that’s basically boosting the output of the signal from your transmitter. Even if I go with my basic FPVLR the range of the drone is drastically increased. Going boosted changes the ball game. My only limitation with my Air’s range right now is the life of the battery. I also own the MP so I know, with my Air’s current set up I’d totally embarrass those owners of stock MP’s that trashed the Air before it was released in regards to its range. 0817D22B-E33E-4933-BC47-FCC883B5B161.jpeg121F20B9-4298-4AD7-A5AF-1A9245F976ED.jpeg 46AECDB2-DBB7-4742-B6F5-F37D7DA9E305.jpegA4430F0E-49AE-4523-9E7C-BA64DD8D3A87.jpeg

Reactions: Reiles
I'll probably get mine converted for the 4Hawks Raptor SR after I get back from my trip. Love the idea of the boosted Titan rigs, but probably overkill for the 15-18 min expected max flight times. I could do without the weight as well.

I'll probably get mine converted for the 4Hawks Raptor SR after I get back from my trip. Love the idea of the boosted Titan rigs, but probably overkill for the 15-18 min expected max flight times. I could do without the weight as well.

Yes it’s over kill no doubt! But I live on a mountain with lots of pines trees. Boosting all of my equipment allows me to push through those things that might block my signal. You are right, the weight of the Titan antennas will have your forearms looking like Popeye. I’m rigged for FPVLR when I don’t feel like working out with the Titan’s... LOL!!

Reactions: zwt100 and alee
I’m rigged for FPVLR when I don’t feel like working out with the Titan’s... LOL!!
Heh that's my only big decision right now... do I go FPVLR or 4Hawks SR. FPVLR seems optimized for max range with a more directional focus, and the 4Hawks seems like it casts a slightly wider net at the expense of max range. First world problems.

The boost comes from a powered antenna that’s basically boosting the output of the signal from your transmitter. Even if I go with my basic FPVLR the range of the drone is drastically increased. Going boosted changes the ball game. My only limitation with my Air’s range right now is the life of the battery. I also own the MP so I know, with my Air’s current set up I’d totally embarrass those owners of stock MP’s that trashed the Air before it was released in regards to its range. View attachment 30566View attachment 30567 View attachment 30569View attachment 30568
Looks impressive! Very clean.:cool:

Heh that's my only big decision right now... do I go FPVLR or 4Hawks SR. FPVLR seems optimized for max range with a more directional focus, and the 4Hawks seems like it casts a slightly wider net at the expense of max range. First world problems.

I’m very happy with the results of my FPVLR. Not only does it allow you to keep the controllers light weight compared to strapping on the heavy boosted antennas, but I did not have to lock in a customize transmission (2.4 or 5.8.) Using the FPVLR allowed the MA to automatically choose between 2.4 or 5.8 to operate at the strongest signal possible at all times and I was extremely happy with its performance today.

I bought a Mavic Air for portability. While I can see an advantage in boosted antennas. The extra size makes it harder to fit in a motorcycle for long trips.
Yesterday I got to fly in wind and to test some of the functions. I am very happy with the Air and its controller in stock form. Would I like more range sure more flight time of course but not at the sake of size.

The boost comes from a powered antenna that’s basically boosting the output of the signal from your transmitter. Even if I go with my basic FPVLR the range of the drone is drastically increased. Going boosted changes the ball game. My only limitation with my Air’s range right now is the life of the battery. I also own the MP so I know, with my Air’s current set up I’d totally embarrass those owners of stock MP’s that trashed the Air before it was released in regards to its range. View attachment 30566View attachment 30567 View attachment 30569View attachment 30568

I see that your not using the Titan official mounting plugs, why is that ?

It that because of the un-boosted antenna, I have the Control as well which works perfectly for the small form factor

I see that your not using the Titan official mounting plugs, why is that ?

It that because of the un-boosted antenna, I have the Control as well which works perfectly for the small form factor

EXACTLY!!! However, I did I get the cables from Titan. One end is screw on and the other is the quick disconnect for use with my Cylone or Atlas antenna. This allows me the flexibility to run several setups based on my needs. And using the FPVLR kit keeps it simple if I’m packing light.

9F238823-72AF-418A-BA02-8E19C9C5FE57.jpeg F00B9117-C811-4C6A-A800-EDDDD87C4AB3.jpeg

Reactions: ilbabis and alee
Interesting. Can you do a write up of how to do this?

It took me about 25 minutes to change out the stock antenna. The internals are similar to the MP. Not having a display to worry about with numerous tiny wires to unplug made it some what simple if you know what you are doing. This project would take a video to explain. I’m sure videos will be all over YouTube in a few weeks. I think I might have the first boosted Air on the web.

Reactions: Jdyowa
EXACTLY!!! However, I did I get the cables from Titan. One end is screw on and the other is the quick disconnect for use with my Cylone or Atlas antenna. This allows me the flexibility to run several setups based on my needs. And using the FPVLR kit keeps it simple if I’m packing light.

View attachment 30579 View attachment 30580
What kind of range and video feed do you get with fpvlr in different environments as well as 2.4g and 5.8g

How in gods name do you carry that? I get get out to almost 4 miles with the parabolic dual dish antenna boosters I paid a whole 12.99 on Amazon for when I first got my Spark. That was into the wind in regular mode with my wife following and spotting. I use the current metal tablet holder I have and a lanyard from DJI and I’m off. It just seems like massive overkill no offense meant friend.

45141206-7266-40AA-AEEB-5BCE818E3653.jpeg
What kind of range and video feed do you get with fpvlr in different environments as well as 2.4g and 5.8g[/QUO

It’s all about where you fly. If I don’t go fpvlr or boosted my range is horrible. While flying FPVLR in a dense wooded area with multiple cell towers within 2 miles I’m getting approximately 1.5 miles with full bars but the video cuts out and becomes choppy. FPVLR is a huge improvement over stock where reaching a mile is wishful thinking in my area. I typically get the best results while flying 2.4. Flying over a lake I can get as far as 2.5 miles or more at times before both signal and video go bananas. Going boosted over a lake while using 2.4, battery life is the only limitation. 2.4 has continuously given me the best results for some reason. When going boosted, I’m sure I could break the range records that I’ve seen on another post if that was my objective. The minor interference that I receive at the lake while flying FPVLR is not a factor with the Boosted Titans.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfessen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31