DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone know what makes Mavic air so pathetic at flight times???

Adamisprimal

Reactions
So recently I’ve been thinking and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Mavic Air is so inefficient with regards to battery consumption. I see that there is a new drone that almost looks like a carbon copy which is made by XO and it’s called the Black Hawk two and this seems to have a significantly better battery life with the same functionality. I love the size of the Mavic Air I have a Mavic pro I’m not about the big drones I like my little Mavic Air and I’m just trying to figure out what can be done to increase its flight time other than adding on extra batteries or are changing the flight dynamics or modding it. Like probably impossible to achieve what I would like However on the other hand it is quite interesting and I would like to know what aspects affect battery life the most other than the motors of course. Any thoughts please share (^^,)

Battery life was the reason I don’t fly the Mavic Air any more. There are newer DJI products that exceed what you currently fly and that’s how DJI continues to make make enough money to move into their new building.

• Haha
Reactions: Jam0ne
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Mavic Air is so inefficient with regards to battery consumption. I see that there is a new drone that almost looks like a carbon copy which is made by XO and it’s called the Black Hawk two and this seems to have a significantly better battery life with the same functionality.
You need to compare apples with apples.
Those two drones are completely different and can't be compared directly.
The battery of the XO machine is 60% bigger than the battery of the air.

DJI Air battery = 2375 mAh
XO Blackhawk 2 battery = 3800 mAh

I would like to know what aspects affect battery life the most other than the motors of course.
To achieve maximum flight time you would need to fly at a steady 25 km/hr in windless conditions.
Any climbing or accelerating and slowing down is going to reduce flight time.

One point is that the MA batteries were particularly bad compared to usual DJI and have aged like milk by now.
Rest is just progress, it's a 5 year old model, lots of better stuff around now.

... I would like to know what aspects affect battery life the most other than the motors of course.
If leaving out all about how the craft is flown ... it's mainly:

All up weight
Prop pitch & diameter
Drag
Counter forces on the craft.

I fly a Mavic Air - the batteries discharge significantly after just a week or so - If I charge them up right before I fly, they seem to be a lot better

The built in battery management system discharge your batteries automatically down to a 60% level if laying around above that percentage for 10 days (& if you check the charge by pushing the button during those 10 days, the day counter resets & starts all over) ... You shouldn't have the batteries above 60% (or below 30%) longer than 48h if you want to take care of your LiPo batteries (meaning that the auto discharge on 10 days is way to long).

That's why they have discharged "significant" after a week or so ...

And you should always fully charge, or top up your batteries right before you use them ...

Last edited:
What kind of flight time are you seeing? How many charge cycles on the batteries? What percentage of battery do you land with? Do you use Airdata (or similar) to monitor battery health?

So recently I’ve been thinking and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Mavic Air is so inefficient with regards to battery consumption. I see that there is a new drone that almost looks like a carbon copy which is made by XO and it’s called the Black Hawk two and this seems to have a significantly better battery life with the same functionality. I love the size of the Mavic Air I have a Mavic pro I’m not about the big drones I like my little Mavic Air and I’m just trying to figure out what can be done to increase its flight time other than adding on extra batteries or are changing the flight dynamics or modding it. Like probably impossible to achieve what I would like However on the other hand it is quite interesting and I would like to know what aspects affect battery life the most other than the motors of course. Any thoughts please share (^^,)
Try the Master Airscrew Propellers, they will help slightly with flight time and noise reduction. I use to have the original Mavic Air, but have now upgraded. Also I would consider replacing the batteries, if you have not already, as they degrade over time. Hope that helps !

Reactions: Adamisprimal
So I am 100% sure I am following proper protocol with regards to the charging and using of the batteries. Charge them before flying(not left on charge over night) charge temps are within accepted parameters (16 - 28 celcius) I do not leave the batteries with more than 50% charge for storage, In a dry cool place out of sunlight) I think that the age is the real issue hear as the batteries were made in 2019. So like does anyone know if its possible to run mavic air on 4s config and if its a possibility to wire my batteries with another mavic air lipo cells to make it 3s 2p

My honest opinion is that the air 1 was poster child very heavy in its own class and the quick displacement of power to spin the motors equipped with it in combination with its weight and factoring in that the cooling fan was an older model as well... these things and the smart board itself in the battery are all factors in the poor flight time. However there are enough people that still love the air 1 and love to fly it that there are advancements in the battery life and mods all the time. Where would human mind be if everyone gave up without looking for improvements right lol
I myself am looking into/and trying some new theories. I'm hoping soon I can fly my air 1 and enjoy a 30 to 40 min adventure without swapping out batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98