DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bottom usb not working after replacing side micro USB port.

Tiny

Reactions
Trying to fix a controller for a friend. Was having trouble getting rc to charge. Was intermittent. Was also trying to use the rc as a secondary controller. It was disconnecting from the AC randomly until it wouldn’t connect at all, except for a split second when turning on. It would connect and immediately disconnect. I noticed the micro USB port looked cracked down the middle, so I assumed that might be the problem. So I replaced it, and now the RC connects to the AC as it should. The only problem is now the bottom usb won’t connect to a device. Please don’t ask me to disconnect a cable from the micro usb, or try another cable. I’ve tried different iPads and cables back and forth between two controllers while they are both connected to the AC and separately. I’ve refreshed the firmware on the RC that matches the AC. The bottom port was working before I changed the side port.

You may have done this already but have you tried looking at the port itself? Perhaps blowing some compressed air in to see if you have any debris? Good luck!

Bottom port appears to be fine. It is much easier to see than the micro USB port.

Please don’t ask me to disconnect a cable from the micro usb
Good, so you're aware there's a way for the controller to see a cable is plugged.
So next step is to check very well that this detection method aka the 5th "ID" pin on the connector hasn't been shorted to any neighboring one by your repair and has proper connection to where it should.

@ksmusa. The mavic was bought used, so no warranty.

@Kilrah .which port am I checking very well? The micro that I just installed? I was thinking the short you are describing was the original problem. So by replacing it with a new one should fix the short.

Yes the micro. You probably fixed the initial problem but introduced another while doing the repair since you said you didin't have bottom port connection issues before.

How do I check it? Visually, it looks good. The contacts are all evenly spaced.

I didn’t change the ribbon cable that came with the board. That is another option.

Trying to fix a controller for a friend. Was having trouble getting rc to charge. Was intermittent. Was also trying to use the rc as a secondary controller. It was disconnecting from the AC randomly until it wouldn’t connect at all, except for a split second when turning on. It would connect and immediately disconnect. I noticed the micro USB port looked cracked down the middle, so I assumed that might be the problem. So I replaced it, and now the RC connects to the AC as it should. The only problem is now the bottom usb won’t connect to a device. Please don’t ask me to disconnect a cable from the micro usb, or try another cable. I’ve tried different iPads and cables back and forth between two controllers while they are both connected to the AC and separately. I’ve refreshed the firmware on the RC that matches the AC. The bottom port was working before I changed the side port.

It might be worth checking with thunderdrones. I believe he repairs drones not sure about remote controllers.

I’m pretty confident I would cause cause some damage trying to measure inside the port. It’s just beyond my skill and tool level. I have a couple multi meters, but the contacts are way to big. I guess I could chop a cable in half and measure the wire. Where am I going to measure on the other side? Other end of the ribbon cable? Do you know which wire it would be? And which contact on the port?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada