DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bournemouth police pocket seven drones in banned airshow space!

Yep - this is why we cant have nice things.

That's the problem and something every owner needs to be aware of - it WILL allow takeoff.
DJIs Geo system is extremely basic and for the most part doesnt show temporary restrictions or even some permanent ones. It will often let you take off and fly illegally.

You need to check yourself whether its safe to fly using the official Drone Assist app or equivalent online altitude angel data (Drone Safety Map | Altitude Angel) or Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK

Those display the actual legal no fly zones.

Relying on DJI Geo will mean you stand the chance of flying in a restricted zone without ever realising.

That aside, it takes a special kind of stupid to fly a drone at an airshow. Especially with literally 100s of "NO DRONE" signs around the crowdline. Its a deliberate action to fly not an accident.

Nobody should *ever* rely on DJI Geo alone to determine if a flight is legal from an airspace perspective.
Gee, I think I will fly to England and fly my drone over the Kings corronation.... said no sane person ever..... but you know someone will do it.....

Its worth checking but for sure Prince (removed) fancy dress party will be NOTAMd as an exclusion zone but id be very surprised if it shows up on DJI Geo.

unnecessary derogatory remark

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually proves the point nicely...
1662846923362.png
The biggest flight restriction zone in UK history - 17nm long and not below 2,500ft has been set up.

Meanwhile DJI Geo show it as OK to fly:
1662847025435.png

NOTAM ALL NON-STANDARD FLIGHT AND ENHANCED NON-STANDARD FLIGHT CLEARANCES CONTAINED WITHIN THE AREA ARE WITHDRAWN FOR THE DURATION. THESE RESTRICTIONS APPLY TO ALL UAS. 2022-09-0383/AS6.

So remember folks....Never ever rely on DJI to tell you if its legal to fly!

...further north theres one centred at Balmoral covering almost 1/3 of Scotland.
DJI Geo says "No problems. Fly"

It's unfortunate that many people are selfish now.

The Law doesn't apply to them.. it is not so much as I know the Law and am deliberately ignoring it but more that 'this is what I want to do' and will do it.

It is not just flying drones. In Birmingham UK our council decided to promote the use of E Bikes in the hope that it would cut down car use in the city. In the short time they have been operating there have been 400 accidents. Usually pedestrians who have been hit by riders on pavements. it is not the E bike's fault but the selfish people operating them. It has not stopped their use and it is still promoted with more safety advice.. it won't change anything. Sad to say.

This is ironic.... Just looked it of our upstairs window and looked out at the road only to see a young man on one of these E bikes ( which is more like a kiddies push scooter.. wheels are only 6 inches) he's watching his smart phone display in one hand and he's in the middle of the road looking at the phone. Now bearing in mind we drive on the left here.. there are no cars parked on the left hand side but there are on the right. He sees a car coming and decided not to get on his own side of the road (his left left) but decides to go to the right against the car that is on his side. There is now very little room between him and the parked cars... Idiotic!. No concern for his own safety let alone anyone else. Why should I be surprised..

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121