DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI ban: What happens to the drone I already own?

I don't know what will ultimately happen but I can tell you that if DJI is told to shutdown the Drones via a software patch they will be able to do so very quickly. I suspect that they have already uploaded code in the recent patches to force users to do an update by a certain cut off date.
If no FCC mandate is in effect by that date then the patches will just be routine. If a FCC mandate is in effect then they will shutdown all the drones by that date at the very latest. The Chinese govt will be looking at the bigger picture and DJI US sales are a small income loss in that picture.

• Haha
Reactions: AlanL
I suspect that they have already uploaded code in the recent patches to force users to do an update by a certain cut off date.
Funny - I had/have that suspicion myself, and got beaten over the head for suggesting it. I still wouldn't be surprised if they do...

Reactions: Robbyg
I suspect that they have already uploaded code in the recent patches to force users to do an update by a certain cut off date.
Funny - I had/have that suspicion myself, and got beaten over the head for suggesting it. I still wouldn't be surprised if they do...
I think it is possible to implement forced updates where you are required to accept the update before the drone will continue to fly. Also you could allow the flyer to skip the update 3 times (for example) before they are required to update. However, not sure a time- or date-based cutoff planted in recent patches for future updated is something a professional organization like DJI would engage in. Not berating anyone but it is highly unlikely DJI is seeding their drones with software to enable a quick shutdown should they receive marching orders from the the US government.

I think it is possible to implement forced updates where you are required to accept the update before the drone will continue to fly. Also you could allow the flyer to skip the update 3 times (for example) before they are required to update. However, not sure a time- or date-based cutoff planted in recent patches for future updated is something a professional organization like DJI would engage in. Not berating anyone but it is highly unlikely DJI is seeding their drones with software to enable a quick shutdown should they receive marching orders from the the US government.
The FCC is a pretty rough organization to deal with.
They treat every meter of RF spectrum with the same policies. If you Transmitted on one of the Police Frequencies or the One of the Aircraft Frequencies they would come down on you like a Ton of Bricks. Even Ham Radio Operators that Broadcast illegally get $40K fines. Companies get fines in the Millions and they also take away certifications on other frequencies if they think a company is hindering a stop order.

It's probably pointless to speculate on specifics but I am pretty sure that they have already Implemented something that will prevent people from just Bypassing an update to cease operation.
They know that once the first person screams out that they connected their drone and it's now bricked, everyone else will be avoiding making a connection.
They know work arounds will be tried and they know that if Drones are still being spotted flying that the FCC will fine DJI for it. The whole Basis of restrictive flying, Geo Zoning etc was based on DJI demonstrating and promising that they could comply with keeping drones out of redistricted Airspace and the Air in General if needed.

The FCC is a pretty rough organization to deal with.
They treat every meter of RF spectrum with the same policies. If you Transmitted on one of the Police Frequencies or the One of the Aircraft Frequencies they would come down on you like a Ton of Bricks. Even Ham Radio Operators that Broadcast illegally get $40K fines. Companies get fines in the Millions and they also take away certifications on other frequencies if they think a company is hindering a stop order.

It's probably pointless to speculate on specifics but I am pretty sure that they have already Implemented something that will prevent people from just Bypassing an update to cease operation.
They know that once the first person screams out that they connected their drone and it's now bricked, everyone else will be avoiding making a connection.
They know work arounds will be tried and they know that if Drones are still being spotted flying that the FCC will fine DJI for it. The whole Basis of restrictive flying, Geo Zoning etc was based on DJI demonstrating and promising that they could comply with keeping drones out of redistricted Airspace and the Air in General if needed.
That's fine and all but I don't believe there are any plans from Congress or the FCC to ground drones. At this point, the intent appears to be prevent any further import or "FCC approval" after a certain date (who know what date that is). As far as I know, this is not an effort to clear the airspace of DJI/Chinese drones. You may have a point if that were the case but it doesn't seem likely.

I have it on good authority that the government will make owning a DJI drone a crime punishable by death. To escape this fate, feel free to send your drone(s) to me and I will make sure they are removed from your registration and properly dispose of them in an approved manner.

On a different note, I also have a bridge in Brooklyn you can own for a mere pittance.

• Haha
Reactions: AlanL
I have it on good authority that the government will make owning a DJI drone a crime punishable by death. To escape this fate, feel free to send your drone(s) to me and I will make sure they are removed from your registration and properly dispose of them in an approved manner.

On a different note, I also have a bridge in Brooklyn you can own for a mere pittance.
"bad joke department; tstr14 speaking"

I think DJI will continue to operate as normal in the rest of the world. Why would they shut down your drone while obeying the orders of a government that is trying to destroy their company? I don’t think they will do anything to hurt their customers of the past.

I think DJI will continue to operate as normal in the rest of the world. Why would they shut down your drone while obeying the orders of a government that is trying to destroy their company? I don’t think they will do anything to hurt their customers of the past.
How many countries around the world depend on an approved FCC ID for products sold in their own country, do we know?

As I have heard mentioned before for those who continue to use their outlaw drones the biggest threat is insurance problems in case of an accident committed with an illegal device. You will then have trouble.

As for other countries and their laws I am not a world traveler. I know Dave C has made quite a name for himself in long range drone development so I know some places don’t have line of sight rules nor do I know how they enforce rules in place.

I know we have some international members here.

As I have heard mentioned before for those who continue to use their outlaw drones the biggest threat is insurance problems in case of an accident committed with an illegal device. You will then have trouble.

Pure unfounded speculation. There is nothing in the current bill as drafted in the Senate that outlaws the use of existing DJI drones other than by government agencies.

That’s correct.

For the moment. Vic Moss is the best informed and makes the most sense. He says that’s unlikely to ban existing drones.

However the government has the power to do whatever they want.

I have been flying recreationally for less than 2 years. Last year nobody was talking about banning anything.

That’s correct.

For the moment. Vic Moss is the best informed and makes the most sense. He says that’s unlikely to ban existing drones.

However the government has the power to do whatever they want.

I have been flying recreationally for less than 2 years. Last year nobody was talking about banning anything.
Yes they have and they have been talking about banning drones for federal and state employees and the military for years. As I have mentioned in numerous thread (that we surely deleted) it was just a matter of time before they start coming after you and I. Plus the government wants to ban all kinds of Chinese products and presently, drones are the easy target and we are easy prey. So the monkey is now on our back.

And it won't be the government banning your existing drones, keep looking but you won't find it in this legislation. Instead it will be the insurance companies who don't take their direction from the government but can make up their own minds and decide for themselves which model of drones they will insure and which they will not. Eventually no insurance company will want to pay claims caused by Chinese DJI drones regardless if they are FCC approved or not. Some will but imagine the public sentiment pushback and social media that controls the day. "Yeah, it was a DJI Chinese drone but it was one of the older ones before the ban came out so you're ok." No ins co wants to hear that. Not every country has an FAA or an FCC to approve drones; I suspect many rely on the US. If I were a small country, I wouldn't stop my Albanian citizens from flying DJI drones that had FCC or CE approval just because the Albanian AKEP hadn't see it yet. I dunno, maybe all the FCC countries could switch to CE if they want to keep selling DJI drones: DJI FCC and CE- How to swap from one another

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n