DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand New Dunked in Fresh Water

Here is the documentation that came with my Mavic 2. You may not have a Mavic 2 but are your batteries made differently?

Attachments

• Mavic_2_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_EN.pdf
    423.7 KB · Views: 2
I used to work in a factory as an electrical technician and we repaired circuit boards down to the component level. When we took them out of the factory setting, the boards would be dirty with dust and grim and we would wash them with water to clean them and then let them dry for a week and they would work fine. The important thing was to completely dry them out before applying power to them.

Water + Electronics = junk. Unfortunately
completely incorrect. Freshwater itself doesnt just kill electronics if they have no power. if the drone was in freshwater, once its fully dried out it should work fine assuming none of the motors or anything started to rust

I've worked in electronics design & manufacturing all my life and all PC boards are washed in a washing machine, much like a dishwasher after assembly. The flux used in the soldering process is water-soluble. So, there is nothing on the boards that clean water can hurt as long as you don't power up anything till it's completely dry. There are likely other components that could be damaged, however, like motors, etc. If you can get the water out of everything (going to be hard to do without a full disassembly), chances are it will probably be OK. I don't know if the batteries are water sealed, or if they can be opened up, but that's one area where you need to check carefully. Good luck!

I've read a couple of times in the thread that as long as power isn't put through the wet electronics, all ok (if dried completely etc).

This may be true, but these drones hit the water all powered up.

When the battery is shorted that is usually gone, what about other electronics before this happens where they are water affected and still powered ?
I would think there'd be shorting elsewhere and some of these electronics don't take much to fry.

There are many parts that will be affected by water immersion long term, motors (vital), camera (not so vital for flight, but why we use the aircraft).

Many moons ago I ran an HTC phone through the entire wash cycle of a clothes washing machine...I accidentally left it in my pocket.

I set it in a ziplok bag of rice for about a week; it worked perfectly after that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom