DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new MP 1 user..

the moog

Reactions
Ok so Ive bought a Mavic Pro on eBay so it is totally new to me and I’m no expert..the last flight distance was only about 300m and it said ‘connection was lost’ on the (now) red bar at the top of the phone screen. I flew it back just using the measures on the control as I didn’t think to use rth.... The phone still had a display but no telemetry or fpv image and the connection was restored automatically when it got back to my garden.
Surely the lost connection can’t be the distance? There were only a few scattered trees in the way - nothing major. In fact I had flown virtually the same path earlier that day. How far should one expect for the fpv image to be transmitted?
Also, on a previous flight the app crashed. Fortunately the drone just waited until I reloaded it and there was no problem. Is that something that other users have experienced? I’m using an iPhone 6s Plus which should be ok.
As I say I’m new to this but I fancy sitting in the garden and having a fly about the village circa 1 mile circumference. Is that possible with a MP?
Apologies for what may seem like stupid questions to more experienced users but needs must..
Any tips or advice is welcome.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi the moog Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Mavic Pro manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Ok so Ive bought a Mavic Pro on eBay so it is totally new to me and I’m no expert..the last flight distance was only about 300m and it said ‘connection was lost’ on the (now) red bar at the top of the phone screen. I flew it back just using the measures on the control as I didn’t think to use rth.... The phone still had a display but no telemetry or fpv image and the connection was restored automatically when it got back to my garden.
Surely the lost connection can’t be the distance? There were only a few scattered trees in the way - nothing major. In fact I had flown virtually the same path earlier that day. How far should one expect for the fpv image to be transmitted?
With a clear line of sight, you should be able to get at least 5 km before losing the signal. But trees will interfere with the RF signal. The difference between one day and the next could be as simple as rain, a wet tree will block more of the signal.

Also, you bought a used Mavic Pro, you can't rule out that it's been damaged in some way that would affect the RF range. You might want to fly it in an open field to get some idea of the range.
As I say I’m new to this but I fancy sitting in the garden and having a fly about the village circa 1 mile circumference. Is that possible with a MP?
Possible? Yes.
Legal? No.
I don't know the UK drone laws and regulations, but I'm pretty sure that you need to keep it with your line of sight and within 500m of the takeoff point.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks. I flew it again today and it was way farther than last time with no problems. I think the phone cable may have come loose and that is what caused the signal drop.
But like you say - anything can have an affect.
As for it being a second hand MP - the guy I bought it from is a long time fpv droner and knows how to use / film with these things. There is no evidence of any damage on it at all.

It would appear that the connection that was lost was between the phone/tablet and the remote control rather than between the drone and the remote control. You can fly your drone without any phone/tablet at all and it can be useful to do this deliberately to gain experience and to understand the readouts on the controller.

It would appear that the connection that was lost was between the phone/tablet and the remote control rather than between the drone and the remote control. You can fly your drone without any phone/tablet at all and it can be useful to do this deliberately to gain experience and to understand the readouts on the controller.
I don´t know yet,if the RC lost connection to the mobile and back again,does the mavic fall back in to the beginner mode for that time ? On my P3 has the beginner mode kicked in ,if i fly without the mobile. On my MPP i did´nt test it yet.

If it's a loose cable the app would say "no image transmission", otherwise it would say "no RC signal" and trigger RTH after a few seconds. It happened a few times with my Air. Before I figure out the issue I had to pull it up and flew it back by looking at it physically. Later I found that it's a faulty cable and I simply replugged it when there was no image transmission before getting myself a new cable.

Last edited:
The fact that the OP was able to fly his drone back successfully shows that he had not lost connection between the drone and the remote controller. The mobile device is not required to fly the drone, it just gives a first person view and programmed enhancements to the controller. Pull the cable out during a flight and try it while in vlos sometime.
I’ve flown over a mile from my position without losing image transmission but that was over open sea with a maximum altitude of 250 ft.

Last edited:
Good cable is vital, I use the Thor’s drone world connecthor cables and never let me down.
Right angle connection is great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi