DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brevard NC

I'm in Haywood County (Clyde USA) but I often fly for work over in Brevard and surrounding areas.

We live in an AMAZINGLY beautiful area.

Reactions: pvs
Hey John ,
Good to see you back . I come here almost everyday to look at the post .
I have been flying a lot . I have a couple new places that have Big open areas and one atop a mountain at a friends where I can really do some distance , safely .
I think all my new places are somewhere near you . One is off Everette Rd , another is right across from our church at Mcalls produce stand , the owner goes to our church and said I could fly there anytime .
Also he may want me to fly over the fields when they start getting ready for planting so he can get a good view of what it looks like .

Mike
ND4W

Reactions: pvs
Hi John and Mike (and @MOONPIE82 and @BigAl07 (and @6axis2018, too))!!! Nice to see our numbers growing! For those who haven't "met him", 6axis2018 is a newish member from Anderson, SC, who is eager to come fly in our WNC area.

I am SO looking forward to meeting up with Mike (and anyone else we can manage to meet with). Hopefully, soon, the weather will be nicer, and my own list of chores/obligations will diminish.

I've been patiently waiting, though I HAVE taken my MA up around my house on a couple of occasions. So I will probably be very green on our first meetup(s). I hope there's at least one among you who will be willing to teach a newbie. :oops:

Mike, I can't wait to see what locations you've got in store! Any chance you can send me/us some map coordinates so I/we can peek at the location on GoogleEarth?

Can't wait to see y'all,
-Paul

Paul , we were all new at some point , especially me .
I had never flown any kind of remote control aircraft before I started this about 1 year ago .
I will be happy to help anyway I can .
Email me and I will give you the gps coordinates of the field I have been flying in .
Since my friend lets me use it I don't want to post it public here .
I have been going there after Bible study on Fridays , around 10 AM, it is between my house and our church , so I can get in a few batteries flying easily .
Of course I can always go up on the mountain where we have friends that live , that's where I took the pix I posted here of the 5280 ft away shot .
When you want to go to any of my places just let me know ahead of time and we can plan something .

Mike
ND4W

Reactions: pvs and BigAl07
Is it true that you can fly in National Forest, but not National Park’s? So, are you allowed to fly over DuPont?

Dupont is a No Launch/Land zone. They can't control the air but they can (and do) state what you can and can NOT do while standing on their land.

Al,
Do you know where I can read up on the
special issuance rules for the PNF? I haven't
found anything yet. I need to go to the ranger
station, I suppose.

Thanks!

Reactions: BigAl07
Al,
Do you know where I can read up on the
special issuance rules for the PNF? I haven't
found anything yet. I need to go to the ranger
station, I suppose.

Thanks!

I'd just ride up there with your credentials and find out the official word from them. They are very easy going over there but I've only dealt with them from an Emergency Services stand point for Search & Rescue.

Let us know what you find out.

I'm doing a commercial shoot over that way this weekend (weather permitting) for a new client in downtown Brevard.

Hickory, NC here. Took the family up through Brevard and into Pisgah a couple weekends ago. Visit Sliding Rock, Slick Rock Falls, and Looking Glass Falls. Beautiful area up through there.
Yep Pisaah forest area nice , but gets very crowded spring thru early fall.
I have isolated open areas here I fly.
Mike

Yep Pisaah forest area nice , but gets very crowded spring thru early fall.
I have isolated open areas here I fly.
Mike

That's an understatement :) What's the name of that small ice cream shop at the light there on highway 215 that stays SO crowded this time of year?

Some AMAZING scenery over in that area.

Reactions: nd4wmike
That's an understatement :) What's the name of that small ice cream shop at the light there on highway 215 that stays SO crowded this time of year?

Some AMAZING scenery over in that area.
I think you mean 276 that goes into the National Forest ,
Dollys Dairy, yes it is crazy busy for nothing fancy ice cream .
I can get a whole 1/2 gallon Blue Bell (Butter Brittle) for the price of a cone !!!

Mike

I think you mean 276 that goes into the National Forest ,
Dollys Dairy, yes it is crazy busy for nothing fancy ice cream .
I can get a whole 1/2 gallon Blue Bell (Butter Brittle) for the price of a cone !!!

Mike

Yes 276.. My bad.... 215 is the road here where I am that intersects 276 (Bethel/Canton).

That's the place... I'm always amazed how many people stand in that line for "Ice Cream".

Reactions: nd4wmike
Hey Guys!

I went to the ranger station a couple of months
ago and they now have a written drone policy for
the PNF. Basically Part 107 rules, but also added
don't fly in noise sensitive areas, but that wasn't
defined, and no flying in 3 or 4 camp grounds,
Davidson River being one of them. My wife walks
there pretty often and said she has seen someone
flying there.

I am still intending to get up to Moore's Cove to try
some stills. A little apprehensive to see how my
Spark will do under the canopy. And I am about
ready to pick up a M2P.

Later!

Al, were you at Camp Greenville this week? I heard
they found the boy Ok.

John

Hey Guys!

I went to the ranger station a couple of months
ago and they now have a written drone policy for
the PNF. Basically Part 107 rules, but also added
don't fly in noise sensitive areas, but that wasn't
defined, and no flying in 3 or 4 camp grounds,
Davidson River being one of them. My wife walks
there pretty often and said she has seen someone
flying there.

I am still intending to get up to Moore's Cove to try
some stills. A little apprehensive to see how my
Spark will do under the canopy. And I am about
ready to pick up a M2P.

Later!

Al, were you at Camp Greenville this week? I heard
they found the boy Ok.

John

Good work John. Let us know how it goes. Be sure to pay attention to your RTH height if you're flying under the canopy. They don't make the best tree trimmers LOL.

No I had to WORK this week because I spent a good portion of last week up at The Swag and on NPS land looking for a lost Dementia man. He was found after 5 days/4 nights in some of the roughest and most dangerous terrain in our state. And he was found ALIVE and, all things considered, in good shape. So many prayers were answered and it was an AMAZING find to say the least. Unfortunately we didn't locate him with sUAS (or Manned Helo) due to the massively thick canopy this time of year.

I'm SO relieved to hear they found that boy at Camp Greenville. One of my aircraft (I sold to the Sheriff's Office) was there but not me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78