DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bring back Google Maps

Can you turn off maps completely? IMO they're useless

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm surprised that anyone would say that. It's true to say that the android Here maps truly are useless. But google maps or Apple maps definitely are not. I hate flying without a decent map.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Are you reading the comments? As it pertains to the Mavic and the DJI Go app.... one of the main complaints is the resolution is poor and in my case so bad it is useless.
Yes I am.
With "resolution" are you referring to the satelite image? If yes those are not maps but satellite images.
As far as maps are concerned they are ok from what I've seen in my region. Not better or worse than Google.
On the other hand offline use of maps is a big problem where I am since mobile internet is a expensive and a huge issue.
As for the pole I doubt that the opinion of 200 people is going to make any difference in the decision DJI is going to make or rather did.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm surprised that anyone would say that. It's true to say that the android Here maps truly are useless. But google maps or Apple maps definitely are not. I hate flying without a decent map.

But why, what's the map for?

But why, what's the map for?
Orientation, Situational awareness.

I would like Google maps back too, but not as a highly priority. I see reparing the aircraft location not in focus bug as more important.

Can usually orientate myself on the crappy 5 year old Here maps but up to date GMaps are much nicer to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalbar
One plus point for Here is that if you have no 3G (normal here) and didn't download a map on wifi before - you can still get something usable especially if there are roads, rivers or named settlement nearby - it can be usable and looks OK if you switch off the satellite layer.
Interestingly with no data connection the satellite view is still there but a blobby mess such as we were only able to get until a couple of days ago - which suggests some kind of Here server error giving many of us a very poor first impression..
If you try Google map with no data and no cache you see nothing not even a road.

If you switch to Litchi, will that solve the problem?
Not really because this thread topic really relates to DJIGo and the maps therein. OTOH you do indeed get the excellent google maps when you use android Litchi and it tracks the aircraft as it should.

Very common to use both apps for different purposes though. So I still use DJIGO and Litchi roughly 50/50.

When I had my Phantom I eventually migrated to Litchi almost exclusively. Since my Mavic, I've been using Go, just because it's a new craft. However, in the past week or so I've been using Litchi all the time - it really is far better in a lot of respects, particularly on Android. And the maps are superb.

Fine by me, ipad is wifi only, compass and telemetry data is enough to orientate yourself anyway
Sorry, I neede to jump in just to stop confusion for those reading that may not understand the specifics of these comments.
Firstly, the GPS in the craft is only related to the GPS in the Device that GO app is running on, to provide a location on the map in the GO application. Turning off location services on your device will not affect the GPS in your craft. You may have meant that, but it was not clear to me.
Secondly, IPads that have phone radio built in, DO have a GPS in the device, I am not sure why Apple set their devices up this way?. I have an IPad 3 that I disconnected from ATT two years ago that still is very useful for mapping, just by caching the map data over WIFI before I leave home and then using the IPad in the field with the cached data. This has worked well with the older GO apps. I have not tried it with the most recent version with the HERE maps. Also using the device with cached maps means that you do not need a live connection to the Internet and your cached maps still show with the correct location sent from the GPS on the craft.
Perhaps this feature no longer works with newest version of GO. I will try and test it today.
If you are considering buying a new iPad for use with your Mavic, you may also consider buying the model with the phone data capabilities, at least then it will have a GPS built in.

There must have been a change made at Here as the maps have started to load consistently in DJI GO 4 ..... on my Samsung Tablet, yes they are not as sharp as google when zoomed close in but they are more than useable. .....

Before all i got was a smuged mess that was unrecognisable. .....

Anyone else seeing this ??

There must have been a change made at Here as the maps have started to load consistently in DJI GO 4 ..... on my Samsung Tablet, yes they are not as sharp as google when zoomed close in but they are more than useable. .....

Before all i got was a smuged mess that was unrecognisable. .....

Anyone else seeing this ??
same "Here"....no pun intended ;)

Have seen same behaviour. Three days ago I didn't see any satellite overiew, just some blurry crap. Yesterday the overlay was there as should.

In my limited flying with the Mavic.... The map looks great to me and find it VERY useful. I am using a iPhone 7, and DJI GO 4.... maybe that has something to do with it o_O

My understanding is that it's basically a Google licensing issue; the same thing is behind the recent change in FlightAware's ADS-B reporting solution.

In my limited flying with the Mavic.... The map looks great to me and find it VERY useful. I am using a iPhone 7, and DJI GO 4.... maybe that has something to do with it o_O

That's because you're on Apple maps you lucky person! It's all us poor android users that have to put up with maps that look as if they've been taken with a Brownie at 2 miles up! AND they don't rotate properly either!

My understanding is that it's basically a Google licensing issue; the same thing is behind the recent change in FlightAware's ADS-B reporting solution.
Yes I also heard about that and it affects a lot of apps that used Google Maps. At first someone said that Google was dropping support for their maps used in apps (or PC programs). And then others commented that that was not the issue. That it was a cost issue with Google raising their franchise costs to developers higher than developers were either willing to pay or making it unprofitable to use them. So if that's the case, i.e. a cost issue, I doubt DJI will change even it everyone who uses the Go app complained. It seems it's all about money nowadays on the Web, if you want to play, you have to pay, again and again and again. So what's next we buy a drone then to use map features we have to pay for an app with maps?

I'm finding the Here basic map without satellite view is always there even with no cache/data/wifi - this is a good feature here as we have very poor mobile coverage.
With google maps if you have no data you have a blank page.
If you do load the satellite view it's generally OK now that the server is working again and it's not just blobs.
It even scrolls as you move.
Satellite view will not cache though unless you don't close the app.
Consequently I only use the basic map which is somehow always on board, presumably downloaded with the app.

Reactions: Daptone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661