DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing drone to India

mavic-usa-1

Reactions
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen currently living abroad. I plan to visit India for holidays and wish to bring my drone. I have come across a variety of information and it is unclear if I can legally bring a drone to India. I plan to register it and follow all govt protocols. Just need to know if its legal or not.

It is a DJI drone. If it may be easier to bring a different make due to issues with DJI that is ok too. Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen currently living abroad. I plan to visit India for holidays and wish to bring my drone. I have come across a variety of information and it is unclear if I can legally bring a drone to India. I plan to register it and follow all govt protocols. Just need to know if its legal or not.

It is a DJI drone. If it may be easier to bring a different make due to issues with DJI that is ok too. Any help is appreciated.

not sure about rules but i do know that in india DJI firmware limits the height to 15m and distance is limited to, my advice is to leave it at home.

As you are an Indian citizen, you are allowed to fly a drone in India. Foreigners are not allowed to fly drones.

The rules for flying in India are complicated and extensive.
Here is a summary (but still complex): Drone Laws in India [Updated July 14, 2022]
And here are the rules from the government, in Hindi and English: https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/2021/229221.pdf
Thanks for your feedback. My question is, since india has banned import of drones, can I still bring a DJI drone with me? Given i will have to clear customs in India.

Good afternoon to all-
My son and his family just got back from India. he flew his Mini 1 there and got some good shots and videos. he is not Indian, but his wife is. He had to problems with authorities flying his drone out in the rural areas.

good evening to all- Ed

Anyone know if Mavic 3 or Air 2 will be a problem bringing into Delhi. I have a friend who is Indian citizen going back to Delhi and he wants to record some footage in rural areas. Is it best for him to get Mini 3 Pro?

Anyone know if Mavic 3 or Air 2 will be a problem bringing into Delhi. I have a friend who is Indian citizen going back to Delhi and he wants to record some footage in rural areas. Is it best for him to get Mini 3 Pro?

As per the link in post #3 . . . Drone Laws in India [Updated July 14, 2022]

Classification of unmanned aircraft systems.— The unmanned aircraft system shall, based on the maximum all-up weight including payload, be classified as follows:–––
  1. Nano unmanned aircraft system: weighing less than or equal to 250 grams (no permits required); You are required to ensure that you do not fly any nano drone beyond 50 ft (15m) Above Ground Level (AGL). Also, you will need permits, even for nano drones, if you fly in controlled airspaces like airports or other sensitive facilities.
  2. Micro unmanned aircraft system: weighing more than 250 grams, but less than or equal to 2 kilograms (No permits required for non-commercial usage only);
  3. <snip
Registration is required for all but the Nano category.
_________

Bear in mind these pages can get outdated, this one supposedly updated mid 2022.

Going by that, the sub 250g nano category is ok for flight up to 15m, totally useless in general for what drone piolts would normally want to do.

So it seems registration is needed, and anything mini, Air2s, or M3 is ok for Micro sub 2kg category, and registration for rec flight.

There seems to be no real restrictions on registering a drone, just a 'fee' which I didn't look for, then affixing the unique identifying number to the aircraft as obtained from that process.

Further down the page is info re foreign drone operators . . .
Foreigners are currently not allowed to fly RPAs in India.

As your friend is an Indian citizen, no problems there, but a shame for many tourists that want to fly there.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose