DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

British Columbia and Washington Area

DW009

Reactions
BC and Washington Locals, what are some good spots to fly in this area?
National Parks are probably all off limits right?

Would appreciate some tips for good locations! :)

Skagit valley is having there
? blooming for the next 4 week's.... Don't miss it.!
......cR

......cR
Why go to The Netherlands when we have the beautiful Skagit Valley at Tulip time? It would be amazing if there was an organized UAV event with permissions from the growers of said tulips!

But would Canadians be welcome to do that without the FAA certification?

Which leads to the question, are there any reciprocal agreements between the US and Canada to accept each other’s Drone Certification process?
NB

Which leads to the question, are there any reciprocal agreements between the US and Canada to accept each other’s Drone Certification process?
NB

No, there is no reciprocity. I recently inquired on the FAA website prior to a US vacation. There was no issue registering for an identification number, but they told me I would have to get a 107 certificate. I didn’t get a clear answer on flying recreationally under 336?.....

Hmm, I thought not but thanks for the info. Not that I have any plans to fly in the states but it would have been nice to know I am covered.

Back to the original question, up until 1977 I lived in Washington state in Yakima and visited Hoods Canal very often. The canal area, especially around the shoreline is beautiful scenery. If, on a clear day, you are flying near Hoodsport you will not only get the forested shoreline but to the west you’ll see the Olympic mountain range in the distance. Add in a nice sunset and you’ve got some stunning scenery.
NB

......cR
Be careful though as at least one of the growers whose name I've forgotten, has a "No Drone Zone" sign prominently displayed over their entrance. Respect their policy as there are lots of people congregating underneath very much like a national , state or city park.

BC and Washington Locals, what are some good spots to fly in this area?
National Parks are probably all off limits right?

Would appreciate some tips for good locations! :)
There are hundreds of places to fly in Washington State. You are correct, you cannot fly over National Parks but you can fly over National Forests (you cannot land or launch from within a designated Wilderness area within a National Forest) which are located on both sides of the crest of the Cascade Mountains and in NE Washington (Colville National Forest).

I live about 17 miles SE of the little town of Darrington, WA. Have attached a link to a video I shot of the scenery where I live. It was taken in early March, 2019.

Reactions: DW009 and Madmax229
There are hundreds of places to fly in Washington State. You are correct, you cannot fly over National Parks but you can fly over National Forests (you cannot land or launch from within a designated Wilderness area within a National Forest) which are located on both sides of the crest of the Cascade Mountains and in NE Washington (Colville National Forest).

I live about 17 miles SE of the little town of Darrington, WA. Have attached a link to a video I shot of the scenery where I live. It was taken in early March, 2019.

thanks a lot! This looks really nice!
Any other places you can recommend?

Most of the Tulip Festival in Skagit County is labeled as a “No Drone Zone”. I know Roozengaarde was last year. Also saw a couple other signs when I was up there. Haven’t made it up from Seattle/Tacoma area so far this year but wouldn’t doubt if there were more signs now.

Ok so I'm visiting in Moses Lake for few months. Got my drone with me, registered with FAA before coming out. Read a lot about restrictions in state parks. Even if purely for personal recreation use.
Checked out the application, First I can't specifically give a date as I would like to go out during weekends when the sun is out depending on my schedule. And even if I did have a date planned in the future the bit about producing an insurance certificate has me stumped. General liability insurance for a million $.
Any tips on this?

Why go to The Netherlands when we have the beautiful Skagit Valley at Tulip time? It would be amazing if there was an organized UAV event with permissions from the growers of said tulips!

But would Canadians be welcome to do that without the FAA certification?
The brochure for the Tulip Festival clearly states that drones are not allowed in the fields. That said, if you were there just after sunrise you could probably get away with it.

Ok so I'm visiting in Moses Lake for few months. Got my drone with me, registered with FAA before coming out. Read a lot about restrictions in state parks. Even if purely for personal recreation use.
Checked out the application, First I can't specifically give a date as I would like to go out during weekends when the sun is out depending on my schedule. And even if I did have a date planned in the future the bit about producing an insurance certificate has me stumped. General liability insurance for a million $.
Any tips on this?

Be careful around Moses Lake itself, there is an airport just north of the lake. You can fly around the Potholes (south side of I-90) area with nothing to notify.

Thank you and yes I did fly around the potholes. I also use the B4ufly app and shows me when an airfield is within 5 miles. The mudflats are a nice area but within 5 miles of an airport. I've checked out SkyWatch for liability insurance unfortunately only for US citizens. I'm guessing Verifly might be the same but don't cover WA. Both offer fly by the hour cover. The picture on my avatar is from Palouse Falls and taken from a camera from the cliff edge. I walked a bit on the trail and saw a sign saying 'leaving state park area' and just beyond that was a small trail that I saw some people coming up from down near the rapids. So I walked down (steep slippery) and did a little flying from down near the rapids. Was tempted to fly along the river and over the falls but apart from not wanting to risk a legal issue I wasn't comfortable flying a potential out of LOS flight. Its a pity though as I particularly like taking landscape photos very much.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert