DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broke a front, left landing leg/gear.

Steve LaBranche

Reactions
Some how I managed to to crack my front left landing gear/leg on my M2P. I did have a hard landing a few weeks ago, but all appeared fine. Apparently it was compromised. I recently installed PolarPro leg extension, they're a little snug fitting in the Smatree case. I'm guessing over time resistance removing bird from case aggravated the fracture. Been flying for weeks before I noticed leg wiggled. (See Attached Pic)

So, my first instinct in to just Gorilla glue it back on and go flying. But, it just doesn't seem the right way to go. It has three screws and seems easily replaceable. I've searched but can't find one for M2P.

I have DJI Refresh package but this small problem doesn't seem worth it.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

Have fun and fly safe.
Steve LaBranche 20190705_182547.jpg

Which type of Gorilla Glue did you use? I know that it takes a while for it to set (24 hours usually). You’d want to clamp it down also while waiting. If that doesn’t work then you might need something more like a resin to get it to hold:

You can buy an entire replacement arm with motor for around $40 I think, although I wouldn’t really recommend that unless you just want to salvage the leg from it. The motor is apparently attached to the main board, and could end up being more hassle than it’s worth. Even just replacing the leg could lead to more frustration as I believe the antennas are siliconed inside with wiring. Honestly, if you can glue it I would go that route.

Which type of Gorilla Glue did you use? I know that it takes a while for it to set (24 hours usually). You’d want to clamp it down also while waiting. If that doesn’t work then you might need something more like a resin to get it to hold:

You can buy an entire replacement arm with motor for around $40 I think, although I wouldn’t really recommend that unless you just want to salvage the leg from it. The motor is apparently attached to the main board, and could end up being more hassle than it’s worth. Even just replacing the leg could lead to more frustration as I believe the antennas are siliconed inside with wiring. Honestly, if you can glue it I would go that route.

I didn't glue it yet, but tempted. I would be using Gorilla Super glue, brush or nozzle. It's fixed metal frame glasses perfectly. My concern is, I glue this minor fracture, then I really crash it and make a DJI Refresh claim and they notice my minor repair and void my claim.

Have fun, fly safe.
Steve LaBranche

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I didn't glue it yet, but tempted. I would be using Gorilla Super glue, brush or nozzle. It's fixed metal frame glasses perfectly. My concern is, I glue this minor fracture, then I really crash it and make a DJI Refresh claim and they notice my minor repair and void my claim.

Have fun, fly safe.
Steve LaBranche
I'd just buy the replacements instead of glueing them there pretty cheap

Not sure if it's applicable to your issue Steve, but I have seen it mentioned in the past about the use of PolarPro leg extensions on the fragile front legs of the Mavics. I use the PolarPro extensions and like them a lot. However, I am very careful extending and locking them into place. I support the leg while locking the extension into place.
Again, not sure if that may have contributed to your leg's failure, but thought I'd mention it.

Email DJI or your local drone store see if they have one. Seems like an easy replacement.

I haven't found the front legs for a M2P on internet yet. I find legs for MP for ~$8 but they don't have the front red LED lights. I'm assuming there is a easily removable connector under the 3 screw attachment plate. I would like to have a DJI original equipment part, but haven't found that offered at the DJI web site.

Steve LaBranche

I believe
Not sure if it's applicable to your issue Steve, but I have seen it mentioned in the past about the use of PolarPro leg extensions on the fragile front legs of the Mavics. I use the PolarPro extensions and like them a lot. However, I am very careful extending and locking them into place. I support the leg while locking the extension into place.
Again, not sure if that may have contributed to your leg's failure, but thought I'd mention it.

I believe you are correct, after closer inspection of my undamaged front right leg, it is a weak point. Since I can't find the front legs for M2P online I decided to remove front left leg, glue it, then reinstall. Geez, I don't have a metric Allen wrench set. This minor problem is growing into a nightmare. Arrrgh.

Steve LaBranche

JB WELD...CLAMP overnight,THEN SAND TO FINISH IF NECESSARY.
IT WORKS ON ENGINE BLOCKS AND Mk82 guidance castings, ATV mufflers , gunsights and about everything else.

Because of the LED and antenna, the leg is not easily replaced. You can probably find posts about that in the forum.

Gluing the leg may void a future warranty claim, but probably won't void a refresh claim.

Just found them on Ebay.com in the search just type in mavic 2 drone parts and it will appear.Good luck

Just found them on Ebay.com in the search just type in mavic 2 drone parts and it will appear.Good luck

I've searched the internet, DJI.com, Amazon and a few local shops, no luck. Have not tried Ebay. For now, I've been able glue it down. Gorilla super glue failed. On my way to fly, I stopped at local store and Krazy Glue worked very well.

I've also stopped using PolarPro retractable landing gear extensions. Didn't realize how much torque you apply to the M2P front legs extending them.

Have fun, fly safe. Steve LaBranche

Reactions: Rattydude77
we do have parts for landing gear but it will be PITA since there are tiny wires going to the LED on landing gear and you will have to desolder/resolder that.

I watched a video where a guy went through pain taking efforts to remove the LED light by cutting away structural strength of the already weak leg/gear. What an idiot, de-soldering is the way to go. I'm a retired Hughes Aircraft engineer. I can solder.

Please give me price and contact info. I'll buy the part.

I watched a video where a guy went through pain taking efforts to remove the LED light by cutting away structural strength of the already weak leg/gear. What an idiot, de-soldering is the way to go. I'm a retired Hughes Aircraft engineer. I can solder.

Please give me price and contact info. I'll buy the part.

I'm not exactly sure about the price (we don't have landing gears on stock, but we can take it off from arms). You can call 908-378-9192 for the price.

I've searched the internet, DJI.com, Amazon and a few local shops, no luck. Have not tried Ebay. For now, I've been able glue it down. Gorilla super glue failed. On my way to fly, I stopped at local store and Krazy Glue worked very well.

I've also stopped using PolarPro retractable landing gear extensions. Didn't realize how much torque you apply to the M2P front legs extending them.

Well u wont find them on dji they dont really sell parts....ebay is probably your vest vet...and i think tge job is a little more involved. Im pretty sure the leg comes whole and u have to desolder that front motor /leg assembly from board and put leg on resolder motor....i would just replace it for peace of mind that has your antenna in that leg.

Reactions: Rattydude77
Front leg has antenna inside (fragile wire with connector), led (2 wires) and motor (3 wires). If you don’t have skills to replace everything better use dji refresh care or use any local shop that provides fix services (and parts). It will cost more but this is 1400$ drone..

Never add any leg extensions to your drone. It adds extra weight and could apply unexpected forces on your drone during landing (and even when stored).

The perfect replacement for landing gear is hand takeoff and hand catching. So simple and easy I never use anything else, even if I’m standing on totally flat surface....

Thanks for your advice. For now, I've removed the leg extensions. Didn't care about the weight, 19 grams. I live in redwood forest country and have had to take off and land in gravel river beds. I wanted the extra clearance. Now I use landing pad every time.

For now gluing the leg on has been working fine. As for replacing the leg, I am more than competent to de-solder/re-solder the three wires.

I need to study videos on hand launching and landing. I've heard of it, never tried it yet.

Thanks for responding. Have fun, Fly safe.
Steve LaBranche

Thanks for your advice. For now, I've removed the leg extensions. Didn't care about the weight, 19 grams. I live in redwood forest country and have had to take off and land in gravel river beds. I wanted the extra clearance. Now I use landing pad every time.

For now gluing the leg on has been working fine. As for replacing the leg, I am more than competent to de-solder/re-solder the three wires.

I need to study videos on hand launching and landing. I've heard of it, never tried it yet.

Thanks for responding. Have fun, Fly safe.
Steve LaBranche

Steve we offer the $99 price for the Lunar Landing Pad and you are a perfect candidate , just a matter of time in that terrain that its going to happen again. Something you might consider .

I just posted this video , it just does not get easier than this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54