DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brutal crash, need help figure out what went wrong.

The black cable is gimbal control. Silver is video. If the silver is fine than make sure it stays like that. Silver is expensive and hard to find.
Black is much easier. No video is not a good sign. The silver cable looks ok but it might be damaged at the connector side.
The rubber feet is like $3. And the little L shaped holder is not broken so you could put the gimbal back for storage.

Contact DJI. They replaced drones for free when it was not pilot error.
They will need the same files. Make sure to upload the log in the djigo app to the cloud under your account. Save the DAT file. DO not power up the drone too many times because it will overwrite the dat files. Save them now.

I was afraid of that. Then it's safe to assume that much more than just changing the black cable is needed. Also, there's not telling in what shape the motors are until the gimbal is fixed, right? I mean, there's no use buying new props to try to fly, won't work without a working gimal, yes?

It looks like the gimbal is broken and those run up to $300 to replace. @Thunderdrones may be able to help.

Thanks CP. I can help if DJI will not. I can repair or replace the gimbal for less than DJI can as well as replace the broken motor (arm).

OP are you in the USA? Something tells me youre not.

Reactions: Bjorn Jarnankar
Thanks CP. I can help if DJI will not. I can repair or replace the gimbal for less than DJI can as well as replace the broken motor (arm).

Maybe my poor english? :)

Thanks for chiming in. I'm located in Sweden. Would you guess more repairs than the gimbal is needed? If total cost risk becoming to high I guess it's better to sell it "as is" (to someone who knows how to repair) and buy a new one.

Hopefully DJI will cover this though.

Maybe my poor english? :)

Thanks for chiming in. I'm located in Sweden. Would you guess more repairs than the gimbal is needed? If total cost risk becoming to high I guess it's better to sell it "as is" (to someone who knows how to repair) and buy a new one.

Hopefully DJI will cover this though.

It's your choice. You can send it to DJI in the Netherlands, and it might only cost around $400 to repair it, and maybe take a month, then you will have your drone back. I think thats better than selling it and buying a new one. Or you can buy a new one now, send the broken one to DJI, and then sell it when it comes back from DJI.

Reactions: Bjorn Jarnankar

Thunderdrones, how much do you charge to repair a broken gimbal ribbon cable? And what is your turn around time?

Thanks

I usually tell people to spin it around and listen for grinding noises. But just by the look of his, I wouldnt use it.

Thanks for your expert opinion! It feels pretty similar to the other three. Maybe a tad more vibration when spinning it. No sounds though.

Either way, if I end up sending it to you it's probably wise to change it. Thanks once again.

After a 10 minute flight i was about to land my bird and let it hover a while in the air (1.5 m above ground roughly). A little later it started drifting a bit, and I thought it was odd considering wind wasn't very strong. I looked briefly on the controller and when I looked up again it was drifting rather quick and crashed into a garage door.

Gimbal ribbon snapped off and 3 props destroyed. Also som scratches here and there.

Overall software status says:
• Gimbal gyroscope error
• Hardware Malfunction . Contact DJI Support for repairs
• Aircraft Motor Overloaded. Check wether gimbal clamp is removed.
• Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restarts fails again.

Now I have 2 questions:
1) What data can I extract (and how) to better understand what happened?
2) Anyone have a gut feeling if this is even worth repairing or if it will cost as much as a new one?

Any help most appreciated.
I'm in deep mourning.

/Björn

Help to know what really happened

Help to know what really happened

After a 10 minute flight i was about to land my bird and let it hover a while in the air (1.5 m above ground roughly). A little later it started drifting a bit, and I thought it was odd considering wind wasn't very strong. I looked briefly on the controller and when I looked up again it was drifting rather quick and crashed into a garage door.

Gimbal ribbon snapped off and 3 props destroyed. Also som scratches here and there.

Overall software status says:
• Gimbal gyroscope error
• Hardware Malfunction . Contact DJI Support for repairs
• Aircraft Motor Overloaded. Check wether gimbal clamp is removed.
• Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restarts fails again.

Now I have 2 questions:
1) What data can I extract (and how) to better understand what happened?
2) Anyone have a gut feeling if this is even worth repairing or if it will cost as much as a new one?

Any help most appreciated.
I'm in deep mourning.

/Björn
I think DJI should and will repair for you under warranty for little cost. The fact that it was hovering in place without the magnetic interference and then it suddenly kicked in with no user movement indicates to me a significant hardware failure. Combined with the software failure to switch ATTI - I'd strongly argue they should take care of you. Please keep us informed as to the outcome. And condolences for your crash. I'm sure it must have felt horrible. It's not your fault (although, you "should" always be prepared to take manual control in case it acts up like this. But even with manual control, with it spinning, you'd have struggled to move it away from the wall.) Good luck!!!

Mhm. I know it's pure guessing but I believe your guessing would be better than mine. How likely is it that it also need repairs/changing of the motors?
Didn't you say it crashed into your garage door?
That could be the reason there! Too much metal nearby!

I think DJI should and will repair for you under warranty for little cost. The fact that it was hovering in place without the magnetic interference and then it suddenly kicked in with no user movement indicates to me a significant hardware failure. Combined with the software failure to switch ATTI - I'd strongly argue they should take care of you. Please keep us informed as to the outcome. And condolences for your crash. I'm sure it must have felt horrible. It's not your fault (although, you "should" always be prepared to take manual control in case it acts up like this. But even with manual control, with it spinning, you'd have struggled to move it away from the wall.) Good luck!!!

Thanks for the input, I will surely come back for a debrief. So far all they are saying is to send it back for investigation. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf