DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Burning batteries, Burning campfires

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
For the last two days I've gone up Redington Pass east of Tucson to burn some batteries for cycling purposes. Today, I had one battery left to cycle so I headed up there again only to come across a "rancher" who was leaving a campfire he had started to "clean things up." This, after the 100k acre Bighorn fire and current high fire conditions. After talking with him I thought he would stay and monitor his fire. He didn't. (Language warning).

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Not as serious but just as disgusting..I ran across a couple dumping a truckload of trash in the desert. I told them they had better pick it up..their reply was if you want it picked up pick it up yourself..my reply was to show them my camera which was pointed at their license plate...end of problem.

Y
Not as serious but just as disgusting..I ran across a couple dumping a truckload of trash in the desert. I told them they had better pick it up..their reply was if you want it picked up pick it up yourself..my reply was to show them my camera which was pointed at their license plate...end of problem.
I totally agree but it was a gutsy thing to do. ?

For the last two days I've gone up Redington Pass east of Tucson to burn some batteries for cycling purposes. Today, I had one battery left to cycle so I headed up there again only to come across a "rancher" who was leaving a campfire he had started to "clean things up." This, after the 100k acre Bighorn fire and current high fire conditions. After talking with him I thought he would stay and monitor his fire. He didn't. (Language warning).

Why not call and ask if it is allowed? If this is the correct area in the link, it might be allowed...a quick call will tell you.

Thank you for taking the initiative to take of the problem yourself. If he is a rancher in the area, why did he take his trash to public lands to dispose of it? What a/an … (fill in with your choice of phrase for a civically irresponsible person)!

Or did he find some trash on the roadside and decide to clean up someone's mess? Did you check with the local "burn" people to see if it was allowable that day? I burn stuff here and there and have a number I call to check conditions and let them know I'll be burning that day. It is done all the time!

Not what OP meant...
Try using batteries....
My question is whether OP went back and put out the fire.
Yes, I landed right away and went and put out the fire.

Reactions: Thomas B
Or did he find some trash on the roadside and decide to clean up someone's mess? Did you check with the local "burn" people to see if it was allowable that day? I burn stuff here and there and have a number I call to check conditions and let them know I'll be burning that day. It is done all the time!
I have a fire pit for getting rid of dead fall and small amounts of leaves or trimming bushes, but it is on my own property - not out on public land. I also do not leave it unattended.

Reactions: Gringorio
Thank you for taking the initiative to take of the problem yourself. If he is a rancher in the area, why did he take his trash to public lands to dispose of it? What a/an … (fill in with your choice of phrase for a civically irresponsible person)!
My thoughts exactly...

Reactions: Thomas B
For those wondering if open burning was allowed, for me it's beside the point. The rancher left a fire unattended with ashes blowing into dry grasses. No one needs another accidental wildfire. Since my truck is set up for camping I had plenty of water to put out the fire.

FYI it Illegal to leave a fire unattended .AZ has Hundreds of thousands of acres of forest , burnt up each year by people who are careless with their fires . Some times these fire destroy homes and Kill people. AZ lost 19 Firefighter in one day in a wildfire. I would have got that ranchers plate number and turned him in.

Reactions: Gringorio

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh