DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying a Mini 4 Pro in UK vs Canada

davelondon

Reactions
I'd like to buy a Mini 4 Pro.

I'm a nomad that travels pretty much full time, so the drone would be used in different locations all over the world.

I can buy it either in the UK or in Canada.

Are there any locked differences between the Canadian version and the UK version that would make it preferable to buy in one location over the other?

In Canada it's about 5% cheaper, so if they're identical I'll buy there.

In Canada it's about 5% cheaper, so if they're identical I'll buy there.
From what I have read, the Geo Fencing Firmware, determines it's flight characteristics (Transmission strength (range…), Max Height, Distance, Remote Identification Requirements, etc…).

Please see this posting concerning about how strong the transmission strength varies……

So from that other thread it sounds like there's CE and FCC versions, and FCC has a higher signal power.

1) If I buy the CE version, can I re-flash it with the FCC firmware? Or is it locked to the region I originally bought it?

2) Canada seems to be missing from that list... I assume it's FCC?

If I buy the CE version, can I re-flash it with the FCC firmware? Or is it locked to the region I originally bought it?
You cannot re-flash it unless you use "full Frontal nudity..." L 😁 L . . .

As @Yorkshire_Pud noted, you need to read the entire thread, not just the single post. The equipment is all the same, the drone "talks" to the controller and the firmware adjusts as needed for the location, (the drone tells "Dorothy" (the controller…) you aren't in Kansas anymore so increase or lower the transmission output and change the transmission protocol between FCC and CE, by using dual band 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz or only using 2.4 GHz…

So, if you are in a location that restricts the transmission to CE (only 2.4 GHz…), do not expect to be flying out the originally advertised distance of 10 Km or 6-miles…

Last edited:
@davelondon ,its strange why there is always so much confusion ,over FCC or CE transmission protocols
all new drones have multi band capabilities ,and will choose which signal strength ,and bandwidth to use, based purely on their location in the world at the time of the flight
if you spend the most of your time here in the UK, i would purchase it here ,because it matters if you need to use the care refresh ,the location of which is set ,on first start up and activation of the drone
the Mini 4 pro comes with the new 04 transmission triple frequencies , like the Air 3 has ,which increases the chances of getting a less crowded bandwidth ,in countries that use the 5.1 Gh frequency
when the drone is in flight it will choose a frequency, that has the least interference ,and also one that has the best connectivity between the RC and the drone ,or you can choose a frequency to suit the location and distance you might want to fly at, and the amount of background interference there might be

Reactions: LoudThunder
You cannot re-flash it unless you use "full Frontal nudity..." L 😁 L . . .

As @Yorkshire_Pud noted, you need to read the entire thread, not just the single post. The equipment is all the same, the drone "talks" to the controller and the firmware adjusts as needed for the location, (the drone tells "Dorothy" (the controller…) you aren't in Kansas anymore so increase or lower the transmission output and change the transmission protocol between FCC and CE, by using dual band 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz or only using 2.4 GHz…

So, if you are in a location that restricts the transmission to CE (only 2.4 GHz…), do not expect to be flying out the originally advertised distance of 10 Km or 6-miles…
Both ce and fcc use 2.4 and 5.8 ghz it's the output power that changes. 2.4 is the longer range signal anyway so if they did only use 2.4 with ce it would still get the maximum range. 5.8 is better at handling interference but isn't as good at long distance as 2.4

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne