DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying insurance outside DJI?

I just got an insurance from State Farm. I have to call 2 different agents, the first one was kinda rude and a little ignorant when I inquire about drone policy, then the second agent knows about it and I got the insurance for my M3. With 0 deductible fee, for $60/year! This includes crashes, bird accidents (literally), theft etc.

Thanks alot for the information guys, very helpful forum!
Question, will it cover fly away as well? Just curious! I'm in the market myself for 2 other drones I carry. I have my. M3 covered for another year with DJI. I'll give them a call, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Good feedback. I've used DJI Care due to a bird taking my drone out, it was total destruction. DJI's service was quick! Had my replacement within 6 days! Just curious, have you had to use State Farm for any of your drones for either fly away or crash yet? (hopefully never) but I to am in the market as I have two other drones that the DJI Care plans run out in a week. I can't go with out insurance as I fly a lot, and have had some doozies. Just thought I'd ask!
Nope but I fully expect the policy to be cancelled if I use it…Maybe I’d get away with using it twice but that’s how insurance of this kind goes.I extended a DJI care policy because I could afford to do it and I’d prefer to have that coverage. The State Farm is, for me, mostly there in the event that DJI won’t cover something or I do something really stupid or have it stolen. I think everyone with State Farm would be smart to have that cheap add-on but I will probably maintain my DJI insurance to the degree I can Here in the winter if my drone goes down a half mile from me it’s as good (50 feet in many places!) as gone but I am pretty careful. It will most likely be a tree I hit or a battery that fails at -30F That would be my downfall…

I added my Mavic 3 to my Personal Articles policy which is also covering my cameras and lenses (far more expensive than my drone). I have had to use the policy when I lost my first M3 (hit a tree and could not retrieve it) and it was covered under the policy. State Farm will cancel the policy for that item since they cover it under its serial number and the purchase price but they will also write a new policy for the replacement once you get it. I honestly hope I don't have to find out how many times they will cover it.

Nope but I fully expect the policy to be cancelled if I use it…Maybe I’d get away with using it twice but that’s how insurance of this kind goes.I extended a DJI care policy because I could afford to do it and I’d prefer to have that coverage. The State Farm is, for me, mostly there in the event that DJI won’t cover something or I do something really stupid or have it stolen. I think everyone with State Farm would be smart to have that cheap add-on but I will probably maintain my DJI insurance to the degree I can Here in the winter if my drone goes down a half mile from me it’s as good (50 feet in many places!) as gone but I am pretty careful. It will most likely be a tree I hit or a battery that fails at -30F That would be my downfall…
Right on, you're way up in the North Pole there! The coldest I've flown my drones was when visiting was in the Yukon! That was enough for me to say, "nope, not doing this! ( so cold!) Beautiful country though! You're a true enthusiast to get out there in that cold! Keep on flying and thank you for your reply.

Reactions: @Rip
Right on, you're way up in the North Pole there! The coldest I've flown my drones was when visiting was in the Yukon! That was enough for me to say, "nope, not doing this! ( so cold!) Beautiful country though! You're a true enthusiast to get out there in that cold! Keep on flying and thank you for your reply.
I used to do a great deal of northern lights photography and you can’t do that when sitting inside a car so years of standing around at 50 below for hours at a time make flying my drone in the winter, which is often done inside the car if I can get a decent line of sight is really quiet luxurious. It rarely gets cold here anymore. Years ago we had 75 below at the house But now -50F is unusual. I am shocked at the temperatures, thses drones fly out. You have probably already seen the Frozen Forest video. That was shot at -20°F, 20 mile an hour winds.

I hear you there. Love the northern lights! The coldest I've experienced was -56 F. Yeah, the batteries say not to fly when that cold, but they still seem to work fine! Pretty impressive.

I believe I did see your Frozen Forest video a bit ago. Is it on your profile? I'll look.

On insurance, I did notice there is another option or two here in the US at least. It's through CPS Central. It does state on the front page it does not cover theft or loss. However, when you go to buy it, it states it will cover Fly Aways. (which is essentially a loss). I call them to confirm this. It also will cover the controller itself!

It just isn't liability insurance. Will only cover your drone, controller (whatever came with it)

However, before anyone purchases, I would make sure to call these guys first to get any questions answered. I've dealt with CPS Central on other electronics and they do a decent job.

Last edited:
Good feedback. I've used DJI Care due to a bird taking my drone out, it was total destruction. DJI's service was quick! Had my replacement within 6 days! Just curious, have you had to use State Farm for any of your drones for either fly away or crash yet? (hopefully never) but I to am in the market as I have two other drones that the DJI Care plans run out in a week. I can't go with out insurance as I fly a lot, and have had some doozies. Just thought I'd ask!
I have not needed to use it. I have had to have my Mav3 replaced by DJI twice under warranty but that's it for me so far.

Try purchasing CAMERA insurance. I had no problem insuring my “aerial Hasselblad 4/3 sensor camera system” for $2800. It’s the camera that counts. I have other cameras covered against theft, damage, water incursion etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7