DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying my first drone - Which one to get?

I am in the market for my first real drone. I was given a cheap sky viper toy drone 2 years ago and really fell in love with air toys. As a kid I always wanted a remote controlled helicopter but I read they were hard to control so I never bought one.

I have been saving for the last 6 months for a drone. I am looking at a few options.

I really think I should get one that shoots 4k. I liked the small size of the spark but its limited air time and 1080p video does not cut it. It is outdated out of the box. I have a 4k tv so why not make 4k content?

My budget is not enough for a new Mavic 2. Simply too expensive for a toy.

So this leaves me with the Mavic Air and a Used Mavic Pro/Platinum. I have around 700 to spend. Even that stings a bit, not because I dont have it but I do not usually spend so much on toys.

I like the mavic pro but feel it might be a bit dated compared to the pro 2. The mavic air is newer with more features but stays in the air less time. I read the gimbal on the pro has issues and the air has it updated and is better. The 4k video on the air and the pro are similar and look good enough for me to start out with.

If you were buying used what would you look for? I am looking on ebay at either a lightly used mavic air or a pro with extra batteries and such. I have seen many with low flight time and no crashes for good deals. I would rather someone else take the hit on buying the extra batteries and carry cases. It seems they hold their value pretty well though.

Thanks for any input!

I just want to upgrade bought it love it want more out of it figured better to sell it now then put more money into it and go with the enterprise
Literally flew this for about 3 hours I’ve been working with my friends drones and I’m hooked on going that way
*DJI MAVIC PRO Fly More Bundle
Firmware current
*Total 3 Batteries
*Case
*Remote
*2 sets extra props
*PolarPro tablet mount
*Car and Home Charger
*DJI Refresh through Aug 2019
Buyer pays shipping and PayPal
Shipping from just outside of NYC
$750
700502ba3c6352e7211f4a2633aad081.jpg
ca861cea6ddef2e59dda9ea159fd0688.jpg

I happen to have a pretty good setup for sale in that range

I tried Davinci Resolve and did not like how it worked. I have Power Director and like how it works better. Its got a lot of features for under 100 bucks.
Resolve and Power Director are in two completely different leagues. Resolve will usurp Premiere Pro as the number one prosumer editing platform in the near future. That's my prediction. But yeah, you'll need a graphics card for that.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I am really leaning towards the Pro Platinum. Mostly for the way it sends signal without wifi. I have read of bad interference with wifi based drones.

As far as Davinci Resolve goes, I know its great stuff but its too complex for simple edits I felt. It could be simply my lack of patience to learn something new. Its like I use photoshop a lot but using the gimp is difficult because I am not used to it. I hear good things about resolve. I need to give it another chance once I get a graphics card.

I am really leaning towards the Pro Platinum. Mostly for the way it sends signal without wifi. I have read of bad interference with wifi based drones.

As far as Davinci Resolve goes, I know its great stuff but its too complex for simple edits I felt. It could be simply my lack of patience to learn something new. Its like I use photoshop a lot but using the gimp is difficult because I am not used to it. I hear good things about resolve. I need to give it another chance once I get a graphics card.

The pro is definitely a better link, out of comparison mates with both the spark and air get easy 1km out of the city area.Tho have seen some others have connection and interference issues, could be user error or location on the air.
What ever way you go you won’t be disappointed. Just way up what features you want etc and see which ticks the boxes in the price your happy to pay. Just don’t over think it like I did.

It’s like... do I need a Mavic 2 Pro? Nope. But once I flew it, it quickly became one of the most amazing things I have ever owned.

I considered the Air and the Spark but I figured I would still want the 2 so I would end up spending more in the long run.
Just my .02.

That’s the funny part while I love my Pro the Enterprise will serve my business functions hence why I’m selling the pro
I definitely should’ve waited but oh well can’t unring the bell

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and I love it!

Reactions: ZooCougar
I am in the market for my first real drone. I was given a cheap sky viper toy drone 2 years ago and really fell in love with air toys. As a kid I always wanted a remote controlled helicopter but I read they were hard to control so I never bought one.

I have been saving for the last 6 months for a drone. I am looking at a few options.

I really think I should get one that shoots 4k. I liked the small size of the spark but its limited air time and 1080p video does not cut it. It is outdated out of the box. I have a 4k tv so why not make 4k content?

My budget is not enough for a new Mavic 2. Simply too expensive for a toy.

So this leaves me with the Mavic Air and a Used Mavic Pro/Platinum. I have around 700 to spend. Even that stings a bit, not because I dont have it but I do not usually spend so much on toys.

I like the mavic pro but feel it might be a bit dated compared to the pro 2. The mavic air is newer with more features but stays in the air less time. I read the gimbal on the pro has issues and the air has it updated and is better. The 4k video on the air and the pro are similar and look good enough for me to start out with.

If you were buying used what would you look for? I am looking on ebay at either a lightly used mavic air or a pro with extra batteries and such. I have seen many with low flight time and no crashes for good deals. I would rather someone else take the hit on buying the extra batteries and carry cases. It seems they hold their value pretty well though.

Thanks for any input!

I’d be interested to see if the eBay prices are beating mine with only 3 flights as it seems my package offers everything you’re looking for

Last edited:
The mavic pro would be my choice , the air is limited for flight time and range where as the mavic range is mich better and gives you more confidence with rock solid signal, and shoots in 4k the mavic 2 is a fantastic drone but never lived up to the hype the 360 sensors only work when using certain modes flight time is the same as the mavic 1 the best thing about it is the camera is a big improvement but the name on the camera is not worth the ink .... bit of a con ... was rushed to market ,, great drone the best on the market but not worth the price

Did you decide what you are going to get?

I have the Spark, Mavic pro (4 of them), Platinum and a Mavic 2 pro... The spark was/is fun but honestly I don't like the latency with the wifi.. On that budget I would not hesitate to go with a platinum or mav pro.. Honestly I fly the reg pro the most as its unlocked in every way and there is zero nags and warning!

I am still debating. I am scouting for a deal on Ebay. I am quite patient usually. I am shooting a wedding video in one month so I am going to purchase soon.

I bought a new Spark. I did it for a few reasons. I wanted to test the waters cheaply. I also found a good deal on a new one online. I got the fly more combo new for $419.99. I took it out of the box and the front right motor is not as free as the others. Should I be concerned? Its never been turned on. Test flight and hope it frees up?

I got it on ebay. A pawn shop listed it. I flew it for a couple of minutes last night. Appears to work. Going to fly it on lunch today I think.

If you are new to the scene, there are quite a lot of different reviews online for drones in general. Even on YouTube, you will see quite a lot of comparison videos which will give you a good idea of what specifications they have, cost, etc. From there you should have a more informed view of what you want to proceed with. Here is a link on the latest comparison video which you can take a look (Ally | Earn money by sharing short links :: Best Drones for the Money 2019 - YouTube). Hope this helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S