DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying used Mavic 1 Pro - what to look for?

samiam

Reactions
Hello. First post, so please make allowances :) I am new to FPV drone flying. I am looking to buy a used Mavic 1 Pro or MPP as those models seem to be capable and dependable, with a large base of information, and currently appear to be available in good used condition at a reasonable price point (500 USD or so). I would like thoughts from experienced Mavic flyers about how to evaluate a used example to make reasonably sure it is in sound flying condition and that the seller's claims for that condition are accurate. I understand that there will be some element of risk involved, but is there a check list that I could use to eliminate common problems? I read some threads here re poor availability of DJI OEM batteries, so I assume the number and condition of batteries sold with the unit would be one very important aspect. If there is a sticky or a previous thread here that goes into this topic in depth, please feel free to refer me to it. Thanks in advance!

SAM

With my used eBay Mavic Pro, the only defect I found was that the controller battery takes up to 8 hours to reach full charge from 70% charge. I understand this is a known issue as the controller batteries age, and that one of these I'll need to replace that controller battery, which requires major surgery. The drone itself flies like a brand new one, with no problems thus far.

If permissible, test-fly your Mavic Pro before buying it and then check out the video footage to be sure that the camera and gimbal are in perfect working order.

Hi Sam. Welcome to the forum.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of those drones used, particularly at that price. The first reason is battery life. You may end up replacing the batteries sooner than you may have thought. You have no idea how they were cared for and batteries are expensive. The Mavic Pro batteries sell for $65 each. The second reason is is old technology. The new stuff just offers so much more to grow into and available for a fairly low price. You can buy a refurbished Mavic Air 2 fly more combo from DJI for $850. Their refurbished units are indistinguishable from new even down to the packaging. Yes, I know it's more money than a used Mavic 1 or Pro. But with a new/refurb Mavic Air 2 you can get DJI's Care/Refresh coverage which will help you out in a crash... and you will crash no matter how careful.

If cost is an issue, then I would refer you to the Mini 2. The fly more kit costs $600 and is very capable for what it is. It's more than just a beginner drone and the transportability makes it an amazing travel drone, especially if you take it out of the country where weight restrictions are much tougher than in the US.

Just my 2¢ worth

What @vindibona1 said.

I have flown an MPP since August of 2018, racking up over 2000 miles. I also have an M2P for comparison.

The good thing about the MPP is that it is hackable. If you are not into that, and a lot of pilots are not, then it does not matter. I am, and I like it when I'm able to bring down my MPP at 22 mph.

The bad thing is it has a very weak gimbal/camera system. It is prone to easy damage, camera lenses have inconsistencies with blurry spots (not all), and some experience a troubling shake. Not all gimbal systems on the MPP are bad, but it has taken me a few years and a handful of gimbals to arrive at the good, stable one I have now.

You get what you pay for.

Personally I wouldn't buy one of those drones used, particularly at that price. The first reason is battery life. You may end up replacing the batteries sooner than you may have thought. You have no idea how they were cared for and batteries are expensive. The Mavic Pro batteries sell for $65 each. The second reason is is old technology. The new stuff just offers so much more to grow into and available for a fairly low price. You can buy a refurbished Mavic Air 2 fly more combo from DJI for $850. Their refurbished units are indistinguishable from new even down to the packaging. Yes, I know it's more money than a used Mavic 1 or Pro. But with a new/refurb Mavic Air 2 you can get DJI's Care/Refresh coverage which will help you out in a crash... and you will crash no matter how careful.

If cost is an issue, then I would refer you to the Mini 2. The fly more kit costs $600 and is very capable for what it is. It's more than just a beginner drone and the transportability makes it an amazing travel drone, especially if you take it out of the country where weight restrictions are much tougher than in the US.

Just my 2¢ worth
I'm looking into the Mini 2. Looks promising so far. Frankly, I anticipate deriving as much or more value from scouting around using FPV in real time as from recording still and video images. How does the Mini 2 compare to the Pro in that respect.

I'm looking into the Mini 2. Looks promising so far. Frankly, I anticipate deriving as much or more value from scouting around using FPV in real time as from recording still and video images. How does the Mini 2 compare to the Pro in that respect.
There are a few things you should know about FPV. 1) The Mini 2 currently has no FPV ability without expensive goggles and a complicated hack. There may be hope after DJI releases the SDK anticipated in September. 2) One of the Cardinal rules of flying is that you ALWAYS maintain “visual line of sight” (VLOS) of your drone. That means that flying FPV would always require a “visual observer” when you cannot see the drone directly. That does not change regardless of which drone you choose.

If FPV is important to you I believe you would be able to do that with the Litchi app and Mini *1*with an inexpensive VR headset. I’m not certain but the Mavic Air 2 might more be supported as well. But not the Mini 2 yet.

There are a few things you should know about FPV. 1) The Mini 2 currently has no FPV ability without expensive goggles and a complicated hack. There may be hope after DJI releases the SDK anticipated in September. 2) One of the Cardinal rules of flying is that you ALWAYS maintain “visual line of sight” (VLOS) of your drone. That means that flying FPV would always require a “visual observer” when you cannot see the drone directly. That does not change regardless of which drone you choose.

If FPV is important to you I believe you would be able to do that with the Litchi app and Mini *1*with an inexpensive VR headset. I’m not certain but the Mavic Air 2 might more be supported as well. But not the Mini 2 yet.
I'm already well aware of the FAA Part 107 requirements re line of sight visibility for small UAV. IIRC, the pertinent regulation is phrased as "must be able to see" the aircraft in order to monitor a list of conditions. It does not actually stipulate that the operator must watch the aircraft with the naked eye at every moment without interruption. I agree that is a nitpick, but it is a literal reading. I don't think that shifting vision back and forth between the FPV display and the aircraft at 1 or 2 second intervals violates either the spirit or the letter of the regulation. Considering that the horizon ASL is 2.9 miles away, it might in some cases better serve safety to be clearly observing what is near the aircraft via FPV than squinting into the sun at a <1' wide object seen only as a speck in the distance. IMHO using both naked eye and FPV in conjunction should maximize safety under most circumstances. Obviously if there should happen to be some kind of incident that prompted an investigation, that aspect would be questioned and examined. Common sense should be followed at all times. From a legal POV, if a UAV was within line of sight visibility, and an operator did not admit not watching it, absent some very compelling and convincing eyewitness testimony, it would be very difficult to prove a violation (at least until eye motion monitors become a mandatory feature of the control system:)

However, given the lack of Mini 2 FPV capability, I guess I'm back to looking for a different drone. So the Mini 1 can realize FPV capability more easily and cheaply than its successor? Frankly, I'm not sure I want to deal with a company that uses that aggressive an feature manipulation up-sell strategy as a core part of its business model.

Last edited:
mavic pro is a sound drone and you should love it the batteries have been fair the OEM were the first to go the others are stable but i ,m not getting the flight times with those and no problems with my controllers at all i get alot of work out of the pro and litchi

Follow up question. I see Mavic 1 Pro and MPP drones that are advertised as "very low hours". Is there any kind of log kept by the software or firmware that would tabulate the actual hours of operation? Thanks.

Many drone owners log their flights using AirData, so it might be worth asking the seller to send you a screenshot of their flight logs from AirData.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Follow up question. I see Mavic 1 Pro and MPP drones that are advertised as "very low hours". Is there any kind of log kept by the software or firmware that would tabulate the actual hours of operation? Thanks.
In pursuing a used Mavic 1 Pro, I came across an ad for one example touting a "Smartphone or Crystal-Sky compatible controller". That sounds to me like a non-DJI 3rd party Mavic-compatible controller? Are there such things? If so, is there a discussion of them on this board somewhere? Thanks.

In pursuing a used Mavic 1 Pro, I came across an ad for one example touting a "Smartphone or Crystal-Sky compatible controller". That sounds to me like a non-DJI 3rd party Mavic-compatible controller? Are there such things? If so, is there a discussion of them on this board somewhere? Thanks.

DJI makes the Crystal Sky controller, and it is compatible with the Mavic Pro M1P.
You can fly the M1P using a smart phone to operate it via wifi (little switch on the drone needs flicking to wifi).

So these might be legit M1P aircraft.

Searching here for Crystal Sky you will find many posts on them.
DJIs website . . . CrystalSky - DJI (this is au site by default, should open up your location page ?).

DJI makes the Crystal Sky controller, and it is compatible with the Mavic Pro M1P.
You can fly the M1P using a smart phone to operate it via wifi (little switch on the drone needs flicking to wifi).

DJIs website . . . CrystalSky - DJI (this is au site by default, should open up your location page ?).
Thanks much for that information.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Looked up Crystal Sky controllers and was taken aback to see they run $750, the same price as a brand new Mavic Pro 1 with its own controller. Good to know they exist though. Used ones are likely to show up on eBay at a fraction of the current new price, as time goes on.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Looked up Crystal Sky controllers and was taken aback to see they run $750, the same price as a brand new Mavic Pro 1 with its own controller. Good to know they exist though. Used ones are likely to show up on eBay at a fraction of the current new price, as time goes on.

Not cheap for sure, but if on a package (especially pre owned) might be sold at a good price with an M1P.
Personally, I get by fine with an iPad mini 4, but lots love the brighter mini 5, or other brighter newer devices.

Crystal Sky is supposed to be good, small size 1000 nits and a larger one at 2000 nits.
Think my mini 4 is 450 nits.

DJI Smart Controller is also good, but think Occusync 2 is needed ?
M1P is earlier version so won't work with that.

Eg. this popped up on new posts in the forum classifieds.
Been there since late May, so maybe worth talking a deal.

A bit over OPs budget as a package, but the brighter (larger) Crystal Sky (CS) with an M2Z with extras, and obviously a mount for the CS etc.
Not sure what that CS is worth US$ normally, but even US$750 for just the drone is fairly reasonable . . .

Just my 2¢ worth
As long as it was taken care of reasonably and the batteries are swollen you may have to buy new batteries but still it’s well worth it in the Mavic pro is one of the best drones DJ I ever made and the capabilities do used custom firmware and all kinds of other things are endless I still fly my old *** Mavic pro at least once a weekend and I’m still amazed on how well it performs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21