DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Used: Registration questions

MikeSD

Reactions
I used to have an Inspire drone. No longer have it. But Im thinking about buying a Mavic 2 PRO. Some questions about registration (both with FAA and DJI).

I registered with the FAA when they first required registration for hobby use.

1) When I registered with the FAA, for rec. use, I dont recall that my registration was drone specific. I thought that same registration was for all drones I flew. True? or not,?

If I buy a used Mavic 2 PRP, can I use that same registration number, or must I re-register. Not for commercial use.

2) DJI also makes you create an account and register your drone upon setup. If I buy a used Mavic 2 PRO that was previously registered, do I have to re-register itvwith DJI

3) Are there any gotchas or problems buying a used DJI, I should know about, if it's been previously registered?

Reactions: old man mavic
I used to have an Inspire drone. No longer have it. But Im thinking about buying a Mavic 2 PRO. Some questions about registration (both with FAA and DJI).

I registered with the FAA when they first required registration for hobby use.

1) When I registered with the FAA, for rec. use, I dont recall that my registration was drone specific. I thought that same registration was for all drones I flew. True? or not,?

If I buy a used Mavic 2 PRP, can I use that same registration number, or must I re-register. Not for commercial use.

2) DJI also makes you create an account and register your drone upon setup. If I buy a used Mavic 2 PRO that was previously registered, do I have to re-register itvwith DJI

3) Are there any gotchas or problems buying a used DJI, I should know about, if it's been previously registered?
@MikeSD i believe you original FAA registration lasts for 3 years and it covers all drones you own if you are only recreational
if you purchase a used mavic you will have to go through the DJI registration before you can fly as though it was a new drone
the moment you put your email and password in that you used for registering your previous drone then the new drone will be linked to your DJI account
when you go in and look at your flight record both your drones will show up and your total flight time will be linked when you sync your flights

Reactions: Thomas B
I just found my old registration. Looks like it was for 5 years. I still have 1 year left.

Also, went to the drone registration site, and it looks like specifying specific aircraft is "optional" according to the form. And my registrations says to put the number on all drones I fly, so it looks like one number = many drones.

I just found my old registration. Looks like it was for 5 years. I still have 1 year left.

Also, went to the drone registration site, and it looks like specifying specific aircraft is "optional" according to the form. And my registrations says to put the number on all drones I fly, so it looks like one number = many drones.
Registering individual drones is only for commercial use.
For recreational, one number for as many drones as you like.
It's the owner that's registered, not the drones.

For DJI, once the drone has been activated with them by the first owner, there's nothing you need to do.
Just go and fly it.

Registering individual drones is only for commercial use.
For recreational, one number for as many drones as you like.
It's the owner that's registered, not the drones.

For DJI, once the drone has been activated with them by the first owner, there's nothing you need to do.
Just go and fly it.

So if someone else has my Original drone because DJI sent me a refurb instead of repairing the actual crashed drone, is the original one still attached to my name?

Reactions: old man mavic
So if someone else has my Original drone because DJI sent me a refurb instead of repairing the actual crashed drone, is the original one still attached to my name?
it should have been deregistered before it was sent out to its new owner, if not once they register it it will no longer be connected to you

If you buy a used DJI and want to purchase the "refresh" program there are specific steps required.
Below is their response to me concerning an Enterprise

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are grateful to assist you with your concern.

Yes, but the drone has been activated for more than 48 hours, you need to offer the verification video to us. After the video verification passed, the binding window will be open for the drone for 72 hours again. You can contact your nearest dealer or sales assistant to purchase Enterprise Shield and bind it to the drone within 72 hours.

Please offer the verification video per the instruction in the attached file and I will forward the video to the team for verification. Normally the result will come out within 1-3 business days.

As the e-mail cannot send files over 20M, please send a download link to [email protected] such as Dropbox.

I de-registered the Phantom I sold. I have all my drone's individually registered. I thought that was required. I do have a remote pilot cert. not that I plan to use it..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom