DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BVLOS question.

No. Goggles do not equate to BEYOND VLOS. Obstructing your vision with a physical devices only means you cannot see your drone to comply with VLOS rules, VLOS rules only define VLOS and goggles means you are not compliance with those rules in the USA.

They are if you have a VO.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Why is there so much discussion of American rules when the OP is NOT in America?

Because the vast majority of members are Americans, and it is simply normal human psychology to be parochial in one's thinking.

Does this bother you?

His location is right in his header, Cork, Ireland.

See post #23.

This is not some unique problem with Americans. Go to any bboard about English Castles dominated by Brits, exactly the same. It's human. Best thing to do is simply understand, and live gracefully with it.

I don't know about you, but I don't examine the personal details of every one of the dozens of posts I read every day.

I mean, it's there on display for a reason though. I don't assume you're always in Santa Cruz, CA whenever you're posting, but I'd probably be accurate in guessing if you posted a question about drone rules you'd only he interested in hearing about US ones, since you're in California, otherwise you'd specify what place you're talking about.

I mean, it's there on display for a reason though.

I don't know about you, but I don't examine the personal details of every one of the dozens of posts I read every day.

Trying to understand what point you're trying to make... Is it your view that members should examine this info for every post they read?

Like @Droning on and on... I read the guy's question and answered.....sorry if it didn't help....does anyone know what the VLOS rules are in Ireland🇮🇪 ? I don't bring the drone when I travel...as an American, I am not exposed to the rules and regs in other countries and would not want to violate any laws somewhere and get the dang thing confiscated, but it would be interesting to know ...and compare the degree of regulation in different countries.

I'm of the opinion that if we are going to answer a question regarding specific laws or regulations, we have a responsibility to first check the OP's geographic location.
I may answer a person in NZ with my FAA regulation, neither of us realizing we are in different parts of the world, leading to a very confusing and misleading conversation. I always look to the left in to see where the person is from, whether just reading their post or responding to it.

Where you are is under jurisdiction of EASA. Their rules for open category stipulate one spotter standing right next to you. What you are proposing is a BVLOS flight. While it is a well considered plan, I think you'll find that BVLOS is not open category, but specific, which means reams of paperwork and a PDRA being submitted to your Aviation Authority a few weeks beforehand.
This is post #18 and it seems to be on point. Though OP should double check references, Felix mentions EASA rules which is appropriate for Ireland. EASA members can have variations though, so again OP should confirm.

Here in Canada, EVLOS (extended VLOS) using VO's is acceptable if done as specified in the regulations, no extra waivers or permits required. I feel like we lucked out here, since almost nowhere else allows it.

It would really help if an OP would specify where he is looking for a ruling...it would help in case we overlook checking the country of origin...besides, it is exhausting looking up that extra info

Attachments

• rolling-on-floor-hysterically-laughing-.gif
    rolling-on-floor-hysterically-laughing-.gif
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: Torque
I'm of the opinion that if we are going to answer a question regarding specific laws or regulations, we have a responsibility to first check the OP's geographic location.
I may answer a person in NZ with my FAA regulation, neither of us realizing we are in different parts of the world, leading to a very confusing and misleading conversation. I always look to the left in to see where the person is from, whether just reading their post or responding to it.

I understand. That's a generous spirit.

Applying that ethic, I did this for you, and saw a zip code. Seems to violate the very principle you're advocating, as many outside the US wouldn't necessarily recognize this.

A milder criticism, but it's also a bit unfair to all of us to expect us to stop, leave the site, and look it up to find out where you are. I won't bother for something as trivial as reading a post.

Screenshot_20230905_121337_Chrome.jpg

It would really help if an OP would specify where he is looking for a ruling...it would help in case we overlook checking the country of origin...besides, it is exhausting looking up that extra info

This seems to me to be a far more reasonable expectation.

I understand. That's a generous spirit.

Applying that ethic, I did this for you, and saw a zip code. Seems to violate the very principle you're advocating, as many outside the US wouldn't necessarily recognize this.

A milder criticism, but it's also a bit unfair to all of us to expect us to stop, leave the site, and look it up to find out where you are. I won't bother for something as trivial as reading a post.

View attachment 167876
Seeing a zip code would alert most to the fact that I'm in the US and under the FAA.
But you made a fair point. LoL
Location clarified for future reference.

Last edited:
For me that's when I would want it the most.
Agreed. I brought my Air 2S to Switzerland. The photography conditions were challenging and exceeded my skill level, but I did get a couple of shots that were usable...less than I wanted. I would've flown in the UK as well, but my hotel was so close to Heathrow there wasn't any point.

However, my flying camera is now a part of my regular travel packing list. It's been to Halifax twice since I've had it, and I've now got my TRUST so next trip to the US it's coming with me.

I bring it within the US, but not being familiar with rules for operating / registering in foreign countries, I think is just asking for trouble

If it's sub 250g, bring it, take the TRUST cert test (you'll be through it in 15 minutes) and you're good to go. For this situation DJI's FlySafe DB is your friend and can be trusted to largely keep you out of trouble.

The US, despite all our whining and caterwauling over here, is one of the easiest places to fly in the world.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov