DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BVLOS question.

I would verify whether or not the use of remote spotters is acceptable. I have a suspicion that you will find they need to be beside you.
I would suggest that you emphasise that this is flying in, presumably, Southern Ireland and that FAA etc. rules are not applicable.
I would also suggest that unless your 'investigation' has been resolved you curtail BVLOS etc. flights.

Last edited:
I'm planning a bvlos flight . I will be using 2 additional observors at 600 - 800 intervals and I have a set of 3 two way radios. Question is , do the additional observers have to be visible in the video ?
I am not sure without a wavier that is a legit way to do it, I believe the observer has to be right beside you for clear communication, hopefully, soon this will change.

Here in US that method is not acceptable, unless the rule has been changed quite recently. The PIC must be able to see the drone AND determine its orientation and direction of flight...here is some information, but again, this is specific to within the US

Reactions: Heavydpj and Cafguy
When you're flying your drone, you're looking at the screen, not the drone, anyway. And what about when you're wearing googles? You can't possibly be looking at the drone in that case.

Last edited:
Hopeful that the FAA will eventually allow this type BVLOS a it sounds reasonable to me, but currently rules as of now state VO must be nearby RPIC to communicate without electronics.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Hopeful that the FAA will eventually allow this type BVLOS a it sounds reasonable to me, but currently rules as of now state VO must be nearby RPIC to communicate without electronics.
Where did you find the word "nearby" in FAA regulations for a VO?

Reactions: R.Cowan
Perhaps I've used the wrong terminology, but as I understood during my part 107 training, the use of radio communications with the VO to maintain BVLOS is not allowed. Even RPIC must still be able to maintain visual site. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you sir.

If you read the material prior to this paragraph, it explains "effective communication" as without electronic devices...in order to achieve this the participants would have to be in close proximity...it does not say "nearby", but to comply the two would have to be fairly close
1693758546969.png

Depends on the regulation of each country, you can fly BVLOS in Spain up to 2Km with observers but it requires so much preparation that it's just pointless; just fly like you want, most DJI drones can hit 4Km safely, even the Mini 2.

I've been flying mostly BVLOS since day one for around 550 hours and still didn't had a single problem.

Overcomplicating is just making yourself prone to failure. If I'm doing pics for a "super big" client, then I'll do the paperwork, if not, good luck catching me.

Depends on the regulation of each country, you can fly BVLOS in Spain up to 2Km with observers but it requires so much preparation that it's just pointless; just fly like you want, most DJI drones can hit 4Km safely, even the Mini 2.

I've been flying mostly BVLOS since day one for around 550 hours and still didn't had a single problem.

Overcomplicating is just making yourself prone to failure. If I'm doing pics for a "super big" client, then I'll do the paperwork, if not, good luck catching me.
Regardless of your opinions on BVLOS and compliance, I'm fairly certain that very few on this site can honestly say that they have never violated this rule including myself. However, I always try to comply to all rules and fly safely.

If you read the material prior to this paragraph, it explains "effective communication" as without electronic devices...
6a00d8345157c669e201bb08208094970d-800wi

I just wish they would allow BVLOS if you stay below an altitude of say 40’. If you’re flying a drone like the Avata, on a large acreage of land, this should be allowed.

There is very little that could go catastrophically wrong on your ranch at low altitude.

Not nearby. Rather, the PIC must be able to see everywhere the VO can see, and vice-versa.

Further, a VO does not enable BVLOS flight, without an FAA waiver.

14 CFR §107.33(b): The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.

14 CFR §107.31 Visual line of site aircraft operation

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
  1. Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
  2. Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
  3. Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
  4. Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

I'm planning a bvlos flight . I will be using 2 additional observors at 600 - 800 intervals and I have a set of 3 two way radios. Question is , do the additional observers have to be visible in the video ?
Where you are is under jurisdiction of EASA. Their rules for open category stipulate one spotter standing right next to you. What you are proposing is a BVLOS flight. While it is a well considered plan, I think you'll find that BVLOS is not open category, but specific, which means reams of paperwork and a PDRA being submitted to your Aviation Authority a few weeks beforehand.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Goggles are always BVLOS Right ;)
No. Goggles do not equate to BEYOND VLOS. Obstructing your vision with a physical devices only means you cannot see your drone to comply with VLOS rules, VLOS rules only define VLOS and goggles means you are not compliance with those rules in the USA.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife