DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bvlos

What Are Your Thoughts On BVLOS Flying?

• Total voters
without having my moderator hat on
my thoughts on BVLOS are it has no place on this forum

If you're truly interested in what folks think about this subject, there is already more than enough discussion about it. Just scroll down and have a look. . . .
Not Again.jpg

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
without having my moderator hat on
my thoughts on BVLOS are it has no place on this forum
This forum tends to be U.S. centric, but there are places in this world where flying BVLOS is neither illegal or unsafe and done for legitimate reasons.

This is very simple for me, until they solve the Problem of Birds attacking drones where I live it is unsafe .

With that said, I do think that there should be some exceptions made for those flights over the water , to test the drones .

The average person who buys a drone does not have a clue as to what there drone can do or if its working properly , if they knew there was a safe place , they would in fact go there to test there drone ability in a safe environment.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water,

Good evening to all-

dirk- My answer is the truth. if you don't like the truth, well, we can just go our own ways and both be happy.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Good evening to all-

dirk- My answer is the truth. if you don't like the truth, well, we can just go our own ways and both be happy.

You want to break the law that’s up to you. Truth or not doesn’t concern me. I just stated my opinion.
You be safe 👍

"BVLOS" has too broad of a definition for a simple 3 question answer.

BVLOS is safe under the right conditions, and very unsafe under the wrong conditions. We see range tests of multiple miles or kilometers that are most certainly unsafe. And we see some that are relatively safe.

FPV is its own category. Flying FPV w/o a VO around your backyard, or at a local park with very few people is safe. But technically it's illegal and unsafe. Flying FPV can also be unsafe. I know someone who flies long range FPV wing foamies and it's safe.

BVLOS for many of our uses is also safe. I believe there isn't a single drone operator out there who's been flying for more than a few months that can say they've never flown BVLOS. I have. And I make no bones about it. But I do it safely.

It's safe because I have 100% command of the airspace around me, and I use a VO. Yesterday I won't say how far I flew, but my VO and I definitely did not have "eyes" on my Mavic 3. But we were literally over a huge open cow pasture that is soon to be turned into a reservoir, about 60 miles East of Denver. There was not a sole around except me, my VO, and the clients. And cows, but they don't count.😉

So there was no danger to anyone on the ground, nothing around to run into at 400' (the tallest structure was a dilapidated windmill at around 75'), and we had 360° situational awareness of the airspace so there was no danger of manned aircraft. We had to cross I-70 at one point when BVLOS, so I pointed the gimbal down and played "Frogger". And that wasn't even really necessary. The interstate was so empty that the likelihood of my flying over someone in one of the vehicles that went by were infinitesimal.

So, is BVLOS safe?

I thinks it's multitudes safer that the FAA wants us to believe, but I think it's much more dangerous than many newbies and hotshots act like it is.

Last edited:
Good morning to all-
Vic Moss has stated my position perfectly, and I thank Vic for it. Situational awareness and choice of place/conditions is what matters- not following a very arbitrary "law".
I accept that some on this forum disagree with my position on BVLOS, but that's fine- I would be proud to buy any and all on this forum a nice cold craft beer if ever the opportunity arose- seeing the world through different eyes is a good thing.

Reactions: Beet
There was not a sole around except me, my VO, and the clients. And cows, but they don't count.😉
What are fish doing out there? Bring a pole next time just in case you see any... I've got a killer recipe for garlic butter herb sole that just melts in your mouth 😋

🤣🤣🤣

"BVLOS" has too broad of a definition for a simple 3 question answer.

BVLOS is safe under the right conditions, and very unsafe under the wrong conditions. We see range tests of multiple miles or kilometers that are most certainly unsafe. And we see some that are relatively safe.

FPV is its own category. Flying FPV around your backyard, or at a local park with very few people is safe. But technically it's illegal and unsafe. Flying FPV can also be unsafe. I know someone who flies long range FPV wing foamies and it's safe.

BVLOS for many of our uses is also safe. I believe there isn't a single drone operator out there who's been flying for more than a few months that can say they've never flown BVLOS. I have. And I make no bones about it. But I do it safely.

It's safe because I have 100% command of the airspace around me, and I use a VO. Yesterday I won't say how far I flew, but my VO and I definitely did not have "eyes" on my Mavic 3. But we were literally over a huge open cow pasture that is soon to be turned into a reservoir, about 60 miles East of Denver. There was not a sole around except me, my VO, and the clients. And cows, but they don't count.😉

So there was no danger to anyone on the ground, nothing around to run into at 400' (the tallest structure was a dilapidated windmill at around 75'), and we had 360° situational awareness of the airspace so there was no danger of manned aircraft. We had to cross I-70 at one point when BVLOS, so I pointed the gimbal down and played "Frogger". And that wasn't even really necessary. The interstate was so empty that the likelihood of my flying over someone in one of the vehicles that went by were infinitesimal.

So, is BVLOS safe?

I thinks it's multitudes safer that the FAA wants us to believe, but I think it's much more dangerous than many newbies and hotshots act like it is.
Well put! Thank you.

Not all legal flights are safe. Not all illegal flights are unsafe.

Safety is #1 on my priority list. Legal operation resides somewhat lower.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean we should do it. I mean i drive so it's possible I could drive a formula 1 sports car but I don't think the outcome would be great.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom