DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA requesting flight log details

@THE WOMBLE any updates on the situation noted in this thread?

One does not seek legal or medical advice from the internet; it is a bad idea.
And as a lawyer who has, on occasion, given some legal advice here where the situation was clear, I can tell you that all I got in return was angry messages telling me why I was wrong (incidentally, I was not), sometimes from the person asking for advice. So much for that.

Last edited:
Yes, that's how it works in that US. You're not allowed to tamper with evidence from a crime.
Yes, of course. But at what point was it determined there was a crime? The OP wasn't notified of a crime, was not served with a court order, was not served with a search warrant. I don't know about New Zealand law, but in the US, what I do with "evidence" before a crime has even been charged or a warrant served is entirely MY business. If you were from the US then you'd know that governmental fishing expeditions need to be accompanied by appropriate judicial authorization. The concept of "hey, could we just look at your flight logs a little" doesn't work here and could legally be met with "I'm sorry, I've erased all my flight logs", an acceptable response from someone whose flight activities don't require record-keeping.

Reactions: xspwhite
”in the US, what I do with "evidence" before a crime has even been charged or a warrant served is entirely MY business. If you were from the US then you'd know that governmental fishing expeditions need to be accompanied by appropriate judicial authorization. The concept of "hey, could we just look at your flight logs a little" doesn't work here and could legally be met with "I'm sorry, I've erased all my flight logs", an acceptable response from someone whose flight activities don't require record-keeping.“
...assuming you want to keep or get a 107 certificate, then you have to give it up without a warrant if asked by the FAA. I bet it will probably be expanded to recreational pilots in the future as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: xspwhite
Yes, of course. But at what point was it determined there was a crime? The OP wasn't notified of a crime, was not served with a court order, was not served with a search warrant. I don't know about New Zealand law, but in the US, what I do with "evidence" before a crime has even been charged or a warrant served is entirely MY business. If you were from the US then you'd know that governmental fishing expeditions need to be accompanied by appropriate judicial authorization. The concept of "hey, could we just look at your flight logs a little" doesn't work here and could legally be met with "I'm sorry, I've erased all my flight logs", an acceptable response from someone whose flight activities don't require record-keeping.

I guess it's hard to say because we really have no idea what this was all about. I looked at the guy"s youtube and saw a few videos, but didn't see anything that I would deem as a criminal. So I don't understand why they would ask him for any logs? You would think if they thought he had broken the law in some way, they would just get a warrant rather then tip him off that he needs to destroy his log files.

It really doesn't make any sense to me. I think maybe he just wanted us to look at his YouTube channel.

...assuming you want to keep or get a 107 certificate, then you have to give it up without a warrant if asked by the FAA. I bet it will probably be expanded to recreational pilots in the future as well.
IF you have a 107 certificate, and IF you have the logs...

I don't see anywhere in part 107 that you are required to keep flight records or logs. Sounds like a periodic purge of your drone's flight records is both legal and advisable for part 107 pilots and for recreational flyers.

I have no problem giving the FAA what I have if and when they formally request it, and as a part 61 pilot I'm as obligated to do so as you are under part 107. I just make sure I have nothing to give them relative to drone flying, especially if I'm going to post any of it to YouTube..

Last edited:
IF you have a 107 certificate, and IF you have the logs...

I don't see anywhere in part 107 that you are required to keep flight records or logs. Sounds like a periodic purge of your drone's flight records is both legal and advisable for part 107 pilots and for recreational flyers.

I have no problem giving the FAA what I have if and when they formally request it, and as a part 61 pilot I'm as obligated to do so as you are under part 107. I just make sure I have nothing to give them relative to drone flying, especially if I'm going to post any of it to YouTube..

Yes, like I said, if someone wants to have a 107 and/or if someone wants to keep it, then they have to show records and their equipment if asked by the FAA.

I don’t worry about purging my records, but then I can imagine why some out there would (I don’t mean the OP’s) after seeing some of their YT posts...? It’s sad, too- that’s one of the reasons why we are facing more regulations, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi