DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA requesting flight log details

THE WOMBLE

Reactions
I have been asked to provide flight log details of a couple of YOUTUBE uploads. Can I delete them from my remote and say I haven't got any records. Only keep a video record of the flights.

Reactions: marie
Can I delete them from my remote and say I haven't got any records.
You'd have to delete the flight logs from the aircraft too in order to completely get rid of them.

I have been asked to provide flight log details of a couple of YOUTUBE uploads. Can I delete them from my remote and say I haven't got any records. Only keep a video record of the flights.
Why not just supply them as requested? Flying somewhere that you weren't supposed to?

Reactions: The Editor
Who is the CCA? NZ? If you delete the records now a court could view that as an admission of guilt.

Reactions: dtp
Reactions: dtp and MavikMatt
The UK CAA has no jurisdiction in NZ. I’m guessing the Kiwis have a CAA as well. Copied us again [emoji16]

If the CAA is the regulator for you, I agree with the other poster. It’s better to comply with the invitation. Speak to a lawyer if you have any concerns.

I would be betting, that they already have the details!!!
They are just banking on what your response is!!
If I were you, I would comply with the request!! (and cop a plea bargain!)

Edit: But can you link the video so we can see it?

Reactions: Gindra

Personally, I wouldn’t delete anything and be honest about it. If you know you were flying legally, go ahead and send them the requested files and be over with it. But if you know that you flew illegally somewhere and those are the files in question, (not knowing NZ laws and NZ CAA rules), I would get a lawyer because they may need to have a search warrant in order to see those and you shouldn’t have to just present them. But in the US as a licensed drone user, If we want to stay eligible to get licenses, we are required to provide FAA with records if they request it. If we refuse, they can always get a warrant as well. Is New Zealand’s CAA registration the same?

If you tell them you don’t have the files they might get a warrant to see your equipment, and usually with memory storage devices, files do not get deleted completely from memory devices, they are deactivated so they can be overwritten by new files, so there may be data still present and CAA would be able to retrieve it.

I hope you’re OK, it must’ve been a very unnerving thing to get a request like that. Good luck.

Last edited:
ignore them, do not reply to anything they send you.

I love the way all these civil aviation authorities love to bully the little guy flying drones but when Boeing release an airliner that is not fit for purpose, it takes almost 400 innocent lives to suffer horrifying deaths before they act!

How do these idiots sleep at night?

Ignore them, they will find a five year old girl they can bully more than you and move on to them lol.

ignore them, do not reply to anything they send you.

I love the way all these civil aviation authorities love to bully the little guy flying drones but when Boeing release an airliner that is not fit for purpose, it takes almost 400 innocent lives to suffer horrifying deaths before they act!

How do these idiots sleep at night?

Ignore them, they will find a five year old girl they can bully more than you and move on to them lol.
This is terrible advice.

Let me get this right - The NZ CAA have got all your details from a couple of YT videos and are now asking for flight info? How have they contacted you?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Let me get this right - The NZ CAA have got all your details from a couple of YT videos and are now asking for flight info? How have they contacted you?

Simple:
Youtube/aka Google dropped the dime on him. They (NZCAA) asked for contact info on the you tube poster.

And they got it.

That's how it works here in the US. I know of a few incidents that the Dept. of Fish and Game used you tube to get a couple of folks that had flow in a wildlife refuge, and prosecuted for same.
FAA has done this too, Remember the rule: "The furtherance of a business".....

Last edited:
Most "Online/Social" entities will give up the user information when requested by the proper authorities with the proper paperwork.
Dropping the Dime "usually" means that entity initiated the phone call/notification to the authorities. I highly doubt YT took the time to notify NZCAA of a potentially illegal flight. That's not how this works usually unless life & limb were at stake or something.

I suppose it depends on the tone of the request and how confident you are you didn't do anything wrong...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31