DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Reader Giveaway 12/23/2023 (post and win!)

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
I'm giving away a Flight Reader Recreational license ($99 value) to one lucky winner this week on Saturday, December 23th.

1701827972807.png

What is Flight Reader?
Flight Reader allows you to decrypt and view your DJI TXT flight log data (and other flight log types) right from your Windows desktop.

Some notable features:
  • Privately process and view your flight logs locally on your Windows computer (no need to upload your flight logs to the Internet).
  • Flight Reader's proprietary flight log processor generates over 380 flight data points (more than all other flight log applications).
  • Customize the columns included in the generated logs and aircraft/battery reports.
  • Auto sync your flight logs from the DJI Cloud to eliminate the painful process of manually retrieving them after flying.
  • Pay once and use Flight Reader forever (no need to pay mandatory yearly subscription fees).
See more details here.

How can you enter this giveaway?
  • Reply below and share one of your favorite DJI drone accessories
  • You'll get one entry each day you participate between now and Saturday, December 23th.

How will I pick the winner?
A winner will be randomly selected on Saturday, December 23th. I'll post the winner here when selected.

How can you try Flight Reader today?
There's no need to wait and see if you're the lucky winner. You can try Flight Reader for free today here.

One of my favourite all time accessories that I have purchased for all my compact drones since my DJI Spark has been the modular cases that are made for drones and controllers (with sticks on). I currently have them for my Mavic 3 Pro, Mini 3 Pro, and RC Pro. I find them invaluable because they are so flexible. I can re-configure my set-up daily depending on what I am doing. Because, I often hike to flight locations I put them in an old Lowepro Transit Backpack 350AW (Both drones and controller), or sometimes on short hikes I will put them in a Thinktank Retrospective 20 shoulder bag, or even a standard MEC backpack. If I am in my canoe or kayak, they will be in the dry bag. Sometimes I have both drones with me, sometimes not - the configurations are limitless.

I do have a Pelican case with pluck foam that I can use for my Mavic 3 Pro and have used a Nanuk case with custom fit foam for my Phantom 3 Standard but find these cases impractical for my needs. They are heavy and bulky and cannot be carried on my back. They are good for travel on a plane though.

Here's an example of what I currently use:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 11.00.15 AM.png
Chris

My favorite have been landing gear extensions- I fly mine in desert areas with rocks and sand as ground cover and sometimes those auto landings don’t stick the pad or you if you ever have to lay it down due to any reason the camera can easily get dusted from the prop wash. Just that extra inch or two of height really help keep it clean.

Reactions: msinger
I currently have a number of a number of drones in my collection (see my signature) and all of them have multiple batteries which I charge with a battery hub for each. I also have other accessories like cube lights that I use for light painting that also need recharging. All of these are located on a charging shelf in the lower area of my home attached to a power bar. In the past when I wanted to recharge batteries for one drone, I had to unplug the power cords for all of the others so that it would not power up their battery hubs or just keep them unplugged until needed.

Then I found a Power Bar Surge protector similar to the one pictured below that has individual switched outlets, so now I can keep all my power cords plugged in and only turn on the outlet I need to use when needed. This accessory has been so useful as it has saved me the hassle of plugging and unplugging cords, saved time, and wear and tear on the plugs.

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 11.28.05 AM.png

Chris

I have 2 accessories that I depend on a lot. One is the PowerExtra charger for my Mavic 2 Pro drones. The other is a (rather inexpensive) plastic clipboard.
The charger will handle 3 batteries in parallel as opposed to the serial charging of a DJI battery hub.
The clipboard gives me a place to hold my Mission Sheet (simple design done in Excel) and a good surface to write on.
1702918689995.png 1702918760685.png

Landing pads are a typical accessory that many drone pilots have and use including myself. I have two - the typical circular one that you twist to fold up and a square one that folds up into a small square. Although I often hand launch and catch my P3S and my Mini 3 Pro, in the winter in sub zero temperatures I find it harder to do this because my hands get cold fast when outside my gloves so I rely more on my landing pads especially my circular one.

The problem with both of my landing pads is that in the winter when the ground is frozen, covered with deep snow, or out on ice it is hard to secure them especially when it is windy. A while back I posted about this problem on this forum and received a number of good suggestions eventually deciding on the suggestion of fishing weights. I have the weights in the photo below and they have been an amazing accessory to my drone kit. They are attached via carabiners to my circular pad and keep the pad stable even in a brisk wind in a wide open space. I no longer use the plastic spikes and use the weights year round.

Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 12.44.22 PM.png

Chris

Reactions: jephoto and msinger
My favorite drone accessory is my lanyard. I flew the Mini 2 for two years without one. When flying from home, it was a struggle to get out the door or back in the door carrying the drone and controller. Now I use one with the Mini 4 Pro and it frees up a hand and also makes hand launching easier.

Amazon.com

Two other invaluable accessories that I often use together in the winter are a transmitter mitt and hand warmers. The transmitter mitt does what it says - it completely covers the transmitter and protects my hands from the wind and cold. It also keeps the transmitter dry if it starts to snow during a flight. I often use the transmitter mitt in conjunction with a hand warmer especially on really cold days.

Many people suggest photography gloves for cold weather flying but I find my fingers still get cold and they lack the fine control I need.

Here is a picture of a transmitter mitt similar to mine and hand warmers I use.

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 11.53.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 11.55.28 AM.png

Chris

One of the valued accessory I have used was to alway put on a joystick protector. I carry my controller inside a fitted case, and although the manufacture states that you can leave the joy sticks attached, I put this on as added protection. I like keeping those on since my big thumbs usually drop one :).
Other than that, the RC2 will always have a screen protector on it as well.
I haven't found a decent landing leg for the Air 3 yet. I used a SYMIK Retractable Landing Gear Extension on my Air2s which would have been ideal and bought for my Air 3 if SYMIK ever decides to make one. They say they aren't though. :(. Reason I like those was because you could fold the drone up, fold the landing gear up, and still put it in the fitted case

Last edited:
Two other invaluable accessories that I often use together in the winter are a transmitter mitt and hand warmers. The transmitter mitt does what it says - it completely covers the transmitter and protects my hands from the wind and cold. It also keeps the transmitter dry if it starts to snow during a flight. I often use the transmitter mitt in conjunction with a hand warmer especially on really cold days.

Many people suggest photography gloves for cold weather flying but I find my fingers still get cold and they lack the fine control I need.

View attachment 171181

View attachment 171182

Chris
I have never seen a transmitter mitt before, that looks intriguing!

I have never seen a transmitter mitt before, that looks intriguing!
Yes, I have had one for a long time for my Phantom 3 controller but it is too big for the newer screened controllers, so I am ordering the one pictured above.

I have tried using gloves with hand warmers inside but my fingers still get cold, plus if it starts to snow the controller is exposed. The ‘mitt’ is the perfect solution for me in cold weather.

Chris

Another indispensable accessory that I have is a fire retardant Lipo Battery Safe Bag. I have a large square one similar to the one pictured below and some smaller ones that hold one or two batteries that I use in my camera bags for my extra batteries.

I use the large square battery safe bag to store retired batteries (ones that have swelled or have been taken out of circulation) while I wait to take them to a hazardous waste recycling depot.

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 9.59.14 PM.png

Chris

An accessory that I recently purchased for my DJI RC that came with my Mavic 3 Pro is this RC Protective cover pictured below. It protects the screen and sticks when closed and is a sunshade when opened. It matches the colour of the remote and doesn’t add bulk.

I use the DJI RC as a backup RC as my RC Pro is my primary controller used to fly both my Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro. The protective cover keeps things compact if I need to bring both controllers.

IMG_0318.jpeg

Chris

Reactions: jephoto and msinger
Yes, I have had one for a long time for my Phantom 3 controller but it is too big for the newer screened controllers, so I am ordering the one pictured above.

I have tried using gloves with hand warmers inside but my fingers still get cold, plus if it starts to snow the controller is exposed. The ‘mitt’ is the perfect solution for me in cold weather.

Chris

I agree. Please let us know how the new one you ordered works out!

Reactions: Chrislaf
I use an app called NAV Drone (some screenshots below) every time I fly to make sure the airspace I plan to fly in is legal for my particular licence (basic) and my particular drone.

It has a companion program that you must first sign into and get a free account with on the internet. Here you list your registered and non-registered (sub 250g) drones and you can plan operations and log flights if you want.

The mobile app which is what I use most because I have my phone with me all the time allows me to check for restrictions, NOTAMS, TFRs, etc and it allows me to review the rules that apply to my particular licence. It also allows me to draw a flight plan area on a map.

This app is designed for Canadian flyers and would not be suitable in another country but there are likely similar apps available in other countries.

The best thing is it’s free, so there is no reason not to have it (or a similar one) on your phone as it promotes the safety of the hobby.

IMG_0324.png

IMG_0325.png

IMG_0321.png
IMG_0322.png

Chris

I have 2 accessories that I depend on a lot. One is the PowerExtra charger for my Mavic 2 Pro drones. The other is a (rather inexpensive) plastic clipboard.
The charger will handle 3 batteries in parallel as opposed to the serial charging of a DJI battery hub.
The clipboard gives me a place to hold my Mission Sheet (simple design done in Excel) and a good surface to write on.
View attachment 171135 View attachment 171136
Anyone know if there’s a similar item for Mavic 3 batteries?
I had similar chargers for both my P3P’s and my P4 Pro and loved being able to charge three batteries and the controller at once

An accessory that I recently purchased for my DJI RC that came with my Mavic 3 Pro is this RC Protective cover pictured below. It protects the screen and sticks when closed and is a sunshade when opened. It matches the colour of the remote and doesn’t add bulk.

I use the DJI RC as a backup RC as my RC Pro is my primary controller used to fly both my Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3 Pro. The protective cover keeps things compact if I need to bring both controllers.

View attachment 171253

Chris
I have a similar item- but just the top and snaps on, and then the cover is loose and does not create a sun hood. This is a better idea. I just ordered one. Thank you!

View attachment 171181

View attachment 171182

Chris
Does it have a clear window for the screen?

Today is the last day and the final Flight Reader giveaway this year! Post before 12 AM PST if you'd like to participate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas