DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cache Maps properly DJI GoFly app

MMFlyer

Reactions
Is there a video instruction anywhere on YouTube I see them for other mavic apps but not the go fly app on how to properly cache the maps. Do you have to cache it everytime time you fly or once I do is it saved for good?Can I set it up for different cities? can it be done without the Drone being connected in the app?

Reactions: BillySteph
I have a Mini and a Mavic Platinum. The maps seem to cache so much easier with the DJI GO compared to DJI Fly. I can even choose how much ram I am willing to use with Go. I can also close and open the app with WiFi off and the maps are still there. Why can’t it be this easy with DJI Fly?

I actually found it was easy, or at least automatic. For me at least - let me tell you my spec and what i just tested

Iphone7
Connected to Wifi / 4G - turned on the Fly app and brought map up full screen - zoomed in to decent street level accuracy. Then scrolled aroud the area methodically. Did same with just map view and also with satellite view

Completely closed the app

Turned wifi off and put phone to Airplane mode.

Restarted Fly app and brough map up. The street level detail is all there an even when I scroll around - in fact a larger area than I scrolled, but eventually the mapping runs out (quite a margin around though in some directions).

Satellite was just confined to a small local area.

From what I can summise (and I might be wrong), the iPhone at least is caching Google Maps tiles and remembering them. It's also cashing smaller areas of satellite. Also not sure how long it retains them

So it seems to me that just by connecting to Internet, browsing maps of where you want to fly, that the app remembers them.

(EDIT - just tried that process again but with satellite view - only this time zoomed in very close. Panned about. The images are there with the phone in Airline mode...)

I haven't had any luck getting the maps to stay cached using Pauljmuk's method using an ipad 7th gen. Once I put the tablet into airplane mode the "cached" maps completely vanish.

For now I share internet with the tablet via bluetooth on my cellphone which is very slow but it works and is way easier on the cell phone battery.

Not sure if the bluetooth being on could cause a connection interference issue or not but so far I haven't seen any issues. Sure would be nice to have fully functional map caching method..

Edit: Forgot to mention my tablet is wifi only.

Hmm odd - I thought maybe there might have been a setting in the Apple device where you can turn this off (to save data), but can't find any. Weird. My phone is still on Airplane mode - no signal at all - maps still show in the app, even with a restart.

EDIT - I am certain it's linked to the Google Maps app on my iPhone - the reason? With Airplane mode off, went into Google Maps - the cache is the same - exactly the same tiles as on Fly are visble.. It must be using the same data.

Airbeaver - think I have something you could try on your iPad - fire up the Google Maps app. Make sure you are signed in the a Google account. Go to your settings (your user icon top right). There is an option in there called 'Offline Maps'. In there hit the gear icon to go to more settings

on mine I have the option of 'Update offline maps' ticked on 'automatically'. Also have 'When to download offline maps' ticked to 'Over Wifi only'.

If you have the same settings, we can rule that out!

Hey Pauljmuk, I just did what you said and downloaded an offline map of my city in google maps and then repeated the steps.

It seems that now I can select the area I want to fly in the fly app, close the fly app and then go to airplane mode. When I relaunch the app the map is still there and I can scroll around with one finger but there is a catch... If I try and zoom in or out the map vanishes.

I think for my purposes this will work, especially because I don't really push the mini to far away but this could be a real pain if the map vanishes from cache mid flight. Does your map stay cached when you zoom in / out?

I should also mention that I am testing this just from the fly app with no controller or drone connected so I will have to test if the map stays loaded after I drive out to the flying location. Have you done that yet?

Just tested going back in the fly app to the home screen where you have Album, Skypixel, Profile etc. and then tried to go back to the map and its gone again. I'm thinking this might be more trouble then its worth...

Ah right - suspect we are getting closer! I should have said - when I panned around I kind of pinch zoomed in and out . I suspect Google has different tiles for different scales - maybe mine picked them all up.

Just tried it with the MM connected and they are still all there - maps at all levels of zoom, satellite less so (but then I didn't pinch zoom as much with those). Whether it will last til, say, tomorrow - i have no idea. But - they've remained for an hour so far.

It really does seem like it is using Google Maps and caching to the Google profile.

I'll keep experimenting and keep the thread updated on my findings, will be awhile until I can go flying to do more testing as my city has some serious wind this week.

Thanks for all help so far!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter