DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cache vs card?

Andrew F

Reactions
I've recorded multiple videos and surprisingly some are on my phone but NOT on the SD card. I believed that all videos were recorded to the SD card and then if selected, videos and photos could also be cached to the local phone. It appears that in my case sometimes the videos are not being recorded on the SD card. It is not consistent and I don't see any logic.

There wouldn't be any cache if he wasn't recording.

Bad card, wrong manipulation(deleted the files by mistake)?

There wouldn't be any cache if he wasn't recording.

Bad card, wrong manipulation(deleted the files by mistake)?
No accidental deletions for sure. I'm very technical. It seems random. Is there a condition where it only records locally, on the phone? I have all 3 states. On card only, local only, and on both. I always want the original high quality files recorded to the card. I'm using GO 3 and S7 Edge. But the Mavic should record to the card regardless of App choice shouldn't it?

Nope, that should never happen.
I'd replace the SD card and try again. If it still does it that's probably one for support/repair.
Hmm. I'm much more inclined to believe it's a software issue. The card is highest quality and there are no capture loss artifacts. The videos are all good quality. Just the location issue. I can just manually take off of the phone for my video editing needs, but the behavior is odd. Probably time to "upgrade" to the GO 4 app.

I suspect you inadvertently were't recording, it happens quite often to most of us ;)
Haha no, I have all of the recordings. It's there location that is vexing. No worries. I think it has to do with having two instances of GO on my phone.

I'm wondering what happened to my video. I did a mix of stills then video.. or so I thought. I got a brief message about video cache. I got all my photos.. both phone and card. Then only one short video sequence... only on the Mavic Card. The rest is missing. Plenty of room on both card and phone.
Perhaps the poster above is right.. I didn't record. I thought I did though.
Oh well.. it happens.

Haha no, I have all of the recordings. It's there location that is vexing. No worries. I think it has to do with having two instances of GO on my phone.
If the video quality of the cached files suits your needs then that's fine. But keep in mind the cached file on the phone is far lower quality than what saved to the card since the cached copy is essentially just a recording of the wireless feed, not the native video.

Hmm. I'm much more inclined to believe it's a software issue. The card is highest quality and there are no capture loss artifacts. The videos are all good quality. Just the location issue. I can just manually take off of the phone for my video editing needs, but the behavior is odd. Probably time to "upgrade" to the GO 4 app.
True, but the only way to truly troubleshoot this is to use another card. I had a top notch Lexar card go bad on my Phantom 2 during flight. The card was nearly new. So assuming that the card is good, without testing it with another card, will leave you right where you are...not knowing anything for sure.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54