DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cacheing a map

ballerhe75

Reactions
I have read various threads on how to cache a map, (click on the small map in bottom left of screen, locate the flying area, zoom out/in, move around) but not how to locate (load) this map in the app.
I have 4.2.22.

but not how to locate (load) this map in the app
The map should show up in DJI GO as long as your mobile device is connected to the Internet when you go to cache it.

I have Ben over that post several times.
But, my question is still not answered: where do I find the map I just cached?

where do I find the map I just cached?
The map is displayed in DJI GO where you cached it. When your mobile device is disconnected from the Internet, the map images will be displayed from the locally cached copy instead of downloading them in real-time from the Internet as you scroll around on the map (like what happened while you were caching the map images) and/or it moves on its own as you fly.

DJI’s “map caching” is too lame for words. For example, it’s not persistent: if you reboot the device, or even close and reopen Go4, the cached map may be lost.
And even if you are careful not to flush it, you can only cache one location at a time. Because I fly a lot in places without cell service, this means I can fly only one location with a map on a given day. All other flights, until I get back to cell service, have an empty map.
In canyon country, that satellite image is a lifesaver.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, but I am missing something. There may be a presumption I know something I don’t know. And, that may be the way cached maps are used/operate.

What are the next steps after zooming in/out?

Thanks Prismatic.
But there are somethings I do not know. After I cache the map(zoom in/out) what is the very next step?

After zooming into the level where you want to be while flying, you drag the map around so the images load in the area where you'll be flying. Like this:

Thank you for your help, but I am missing something. There may be a presumption I know something I don’t know. And, that may be the way cached maps are used/operate.

None. Return to the top level of DJI Go4 if you like.
Now, don’t close DJI Go4 or reboot your device prior to using the cached map.
When you arrive at the location, the cached map will be present as usual in DJI Go4, even if you could not download it at that location for lack of WiFi or whatever.
DJI Go4 itself provides the only user access to the cache.

OK, I can not test/try it until I get to the flying location?
Disable cellular and/or Wi-Fi on your mobile device and start DJI GO. If you can see the map in the flying location, then it was cached properly.

Reactions: Prismatic
Disable cellular and/or Wi-Fi on your mobile device and start DJI GO. If you can see the map in the flying location, then it was cached properly.
I've lost the cache too many times. If I really need that map/satellite imagery, I won't even shut the app down. I'll just keep the device alive, on a charger, until I arrive at the site. If reloading isn't an option, and the imagery is important and/or its a considerable drive, I can't afford to lose that precious cache.

None. Return to the top level of DJI Go4 if you like.
Now, don’t close DJI Go4 or reboot your device prior to using the cached map.
When you arrive at the location, the cached map will be present as usual in DJI Go4, even if you could not download it at that location for lack of WiFi or whatever.
DJI Go4 itself provides the only user access to the cache.
you can close DJI Go4, it will still be there

I finally got it.

1. Enable map caching.
2. zoom in/out on the map, with internet connection.
3. Close WiFi (internet) connection.
4. Leave the app open, so you don’t lose the map on the screen.
5. Drive to the mapped location.
6. Connect controller and Mavic Pro.
7. Now use the map on the screen

I finally got it.

1. Enable map caching.
2. zoom in/out on the map, with internet connection.
3. Close WiFi (internet) connection.
4. Leave the app open, so you don’t lose the map on the screen.
5. Drive to the mapped location.
6. Connect controller and Mavic Pro.
7. Now use the map on the screen
I've cached map of lanzerote, flown there two days later with iPad turned off and the maps are still there.

Last edited:
Leave the app open, so you don’t lose the map on the screen
You should be able to close DJI GO or even restart your mobile device in between flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato