DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibrate!

Steve L Reid

Reactions
Do we have to calibrate before each flight on the new Mavic 2? Nowhere in tutorials or reading does it say to calibrate. This may be a dumb question because I'm sorta out of the loop because I'm still flying my early 2015 Inspire 1 01. My new Mavic 2 will be here Wednesday and it looks like everything from the real small to the Inspire 2 will be obsolete soon. Sarcasm!

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Do we have to calibrate before each flight on the new Mavic 2? Nowhere in tutorials or reading does it say to calibrate. This may be a dumb question because I'm sorta out of the loop because I'm still flying my early 2015 Inspire 1 01. My new Mavic 2 will be here Wednesday and it looks like everything from the real small to the Inspire 2 will be obsolete soon. Sarcasm!
As a Naval Flight Officer, I have learned to establish a checklist before launching any aircraft. That's why we have a printed checklist attached to a small clipboard on our legs.

You can't go wrong if you have a checklist that steps you thru everything every time.

That's just my 2 cents... ;)

As a Naval Flight Officer, I have learned to establish a checklist before launching any aircraft. That's why we have a printed checklist attached to a small clipboard on our legs.

You can't go wrong if you have a checklist that steps you thru everything every time.

Agreed, and for flying a drone I believe that would include things such as ensuring batteries are changed and you are aware of no fly zones. But would it also include calibrating before each flight?

Your so right and I do that also with my Inspire and use auto take off to check everything while hovering. I was wondering why in no tutorials it said to calibrate. I will learn everything when I get it but if it doesn't say to calibrate before flying I assume it does it automatically so I can take it out of my backpack and video a National Park, stuff it back in and move on. LOL

None of DJI's aircraft has ever required you to calibrate anything before every takeoff. It's actually recommended not to.

Reactions: Clinton1
None of DJI's aircraft has ever required you to calibrate anything before every takeoff. It's actually recommended not to.
I've never had anything but an Inspire 1 and was given false information saying it might try to fly back to the last calibration or back to China, all these years I just took their information (guess they are still laughing at me lol) I should've googled this.
When should the Inspire compass be calibrated?
You do not need to calibrate before every flight and in some cases you definitely should not calibrate. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever bother doing it. It only takes one time for it to go very wrong.

Note: The ideal place to calibrate is a wide open location that is free of anything metallic within a 20 ft radius. Keep away from drainage pipes, irrigation systems, rocks, sidewalks (or other concrete structures), etc.

DO calibrate the Inspire compass if:
  • Compass interference values are out of whack or DJI GO is displaying a compass error (check area for magnetic metal objects before calibrating)
  • The Inspire is circling in flight while hovering in place (also check for other possible causes)
  • New metallic equipment has been attached or removed from the Inspire (e.g. GPS tracker)
  • If you just degaussed your compass (don't degauss the compass unless instructed)

DO NOT calibrate the Inspire compass if:
  • The Inspire is near concrete, buildings, and/or hidden or overhead power lines/pipes/etc.
  • You're indoors, on a paved surface, on a stone surface, on the beach, on a boat, on a balcony, near a car, near speakers, etc.
  • There are magnetic metallic objects near the Inspire or you're not certain there are no such objects nearby
How to Calibrate the Inspire Compass
  • Remove all metal from your person that could potentially be held near the Inspire while you're calibrating (e.g. watch or rings).
  • Find a location on grass or dirt and not on concrete or asphalt (unless you know the concrete or asphalt does not contain rebar).
  • Power up your Inspire and any attached accessories (e.g. GPS tracker).
  • Wait until your Inspire is ready to fly.
  • Click the "Calibrate" button in the "Aircaft Status" section of DJI GO. If the "Calibrate" button does not appear there, then you can calibrate the compass from the "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO.
  • Confirm the rear Inspire arm lights are solid yellow.
  • Pick up the Inspire and turn it smoothly and steadily a full 360 degrees (or a little bit more) until the rear Inspire arm lights turn solid green.
  • Note: While it's okay to turn the Inspire in your hands, it's easier to hold the Inspire steady and turn your body in a circle (like this).
  • Point the front of the Inspire straight down and turn it smoothly and steadily a full 360 degrees (or a little bit more) until the rear Inspire arms start flashing green.
  • Note: Don't be concerned if the Inspire gimbal reacts poorly to being face down. Continue to smoothly and steadily turn the Inspire. If for any reason you do not complete any of the above steps smoothly and evenly, restart the process.

Reactions: 28mm and Kilrah
This looks good.

My I1 has not been calibrated in years, even after traveling 6000km with it.
Need to take it out again one day. Batteries are likely dead by now though :(

Reactions: Steve L Reid
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe