DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 California "Paradise"

The quality of your scenes is truly outstanding. Hard to believe you captured such great footage as a newbie.

My objective every time I fly is to get as much variety and full coverage of the scenes and subjects. You have so much great footage to work with here. You can cut, clip, grade, add effects and re-use these scenes for years to come. They could be sold as stock footage, which could finance your next upgrade.

Remember that many of the forward clips without natural movement can be reversed to add variety in cuts. There's always the desire to speed up long clips, but it's better to switch to sport mode if you've got a long travel. The scenes with the low bright sun earlier in the afternoon could perhaps be enhanced with some lens flares and light rays. Even if it didn't happen organically, no one will be able to tell you added it in post.

When you're flying, think about the variety of moves you can capture, particularly prominent subjects. Gimbal tilts and POI's provide the most drama with the least effort. I have a general rule that when I gimbal tilt down, I start by increasing elevation which helps to maintain axis with the point of rotation. It works the same in reverse, decreasing elevation to start gimbal up, typically maintaining the horizon line. Stationary pans almost never look good, but you can accomplish a better pano using a pull-away or boomerang POI simply by moving the right stick backwards/forwards.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. You've got a great eye for aerial video. Below is a video I've viewed many times with 55 drone moves and a downloadable PDF for reference. It's a bit dated and doesn't include the intelligent flight modes we have today, but you'll find some good moves in it.

Wow, thanks for all this. Very much appreciate the thoughts and ideas and the time you spent expressing them

For the record, this is not my first video. I have a few dozen more at theflyingcamera.net, all shot in and around the same area as the video in this thread.

More to come!

Wow, thanks for all this. Very much appreciate the thoughts and ideas and the time you spent expressing them

For the record, this is not my first video. I have a few dozen more at theflyingcamera.net, all shot in and around the same area as the video in this thread.

More to come!
Obviously a great locale to practice and capture over and over. I’ll definitely have to visit.

A very fine piece of film-that was!!!! California really is a gorgeous place- I will bite my tongue on the politics. The Ojai area is particularly beautiful with all of those vineyards and open spaces, and the gorgeous coast road and daily western sunsets (are there any other kind?). You are lucky to have that scenery to film, but you really do have to live in California for it. My daughter lives in L.A. and we make frequent visits to see her and our son in law and grandson. We have just about covered all of the good sites. You live in a very fertile place to fly.

Dale
Miami
The Ojai Valley is home to citrus and avocado groves (mostly). It’s too warm here for vineyards, although there are some vineyards along the coast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike