DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera goes a little crazy when I start up sometimes

KobeFlight1981

Reactions
Hi, So I crash and burned my mavic pro a few months back. It did put a smile on my face as it was a pretty epic crash and I recorded it..
Anyway, the camera and gimbal kept overloading, and looking online I figured it was the fragile cable, which I replaced.
Thankfully, the cable replacement worked and I got my drone back in the air very quickly.
The weird thing is, every once in a while, when I start up my drone and it's running through it's sequence, somethings the camera starts acting up, vibrating and shaking all over the place until I turn it off?. I have since tried various methods to reduce this from happen, from tilting my mavic, moving the gimbal before I turn it on and rechecking the cable. I do notice my gimbal does strike the above panel when it flips up and back down again during the range check.. I'm thinking I've bent the gimbal very slightly during the crash, but I really cannot see it.
You would think being an ex-aircraft technician, I'll have a little more experience with solving this, .. any help would be much appreciated. UK

check that all the hanger rubbers are all attached to the gimbal plate, and that the plate is under the anti drop hook at the back

Apart from one of the front bracket broken, the cradle in my opinion still shouldn't sit too high for the gimbal to hit it when in use. In fact once it's working, it doesn't touch it at all.. jsut sometimes hits during start up.. as you can see, no marks from it hitting the top. No bad footage .. everything is very stable so I don't think the mounting plate has been affected too much from the incident last January.

I forgot to mention, but before the crash, it wasn't hitting it. Although a Dji forum suggest this is normal?..

that is the issue the two front plates and the rear anti drop hook are to keep everything level, and the gimbal lined up, if you could make a small plate from plastic so as it fits up into the missing piece and then sticks to the underside of the broken part that should fix it, at the moment there is nothing to stop the whole plate from sliding forwards and allowing the gimbal to make contact with the drone,other than that, i believe it is possible to replace the whole mounting part that the gimbal hangs from

Reactions: KobeFlight1981
Many thanks. I did look into this as well. The elastic/ rubber bands (shock absorbers) are holding the plate up without any issue and is not moving forwards during start up. I've placed a lolly pop stick there to see if it would hit it and it (unfortunately) didn't.. But saying that, I did nose dive it, so maybe the elastic/ rubber bands might have been stretched and holding it slightly off set? Also in the picture, I am holding the gimbal and therefore pulling on it to get the picture of the base plate and retaining hook.
While it's not much to replace, I don't have the time or money to buy the parts and replace the base plate and elastic at the moment.
Thanks for your observation though.. Nice to have another point of view to work with.

Reactions: old man mavic
New base plate installed. It is still hitting the base plate.. I think I have actually bent the gimbal, but it's not very noticable. Need to compare it to another mavic. I think the vertical axis has been bent up.

Reactions: old man mavic
I believe that it would probably break before bending! However you can get a new plate online!! I've seen them advertised on amazon!!! Fairly cheap to!!! Also check to be sure the tabs are in the correct place! I've seen them under and over the plates because they weren't in the correct place!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada