DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera is Tilted/on an angle, cant calibrate

DrifterF

Reactions
Hi everyone, hope your well. so i have a mavic mini which i purchased off facebook marketplace. was told it had some issues but flown. everything seems in order except the camera is always tilted and the app wont calibrate the camera, it just sticks at 0%. any ideas on a fix ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-115348_Video Player (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-115348_Video Player (1).jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 11
Welcome.
Uum can I ask what you paid and if there are any safeguards on facebook market place?
Were the issues specified?
If so did they include this tilt?
Was the drone horizontal when that shot was taken?
WITHOUT applying force to the gimbal/camera can you level the gimbal/camera when the drone is SWITCHED OFF?
Did the drone come with a protector/cover over the gimbal? The latter is nearly a repeat of the previous question

Welcome.
Uum can I ask what you paid and if there are any safeguards on facebook market place?
Were the issues specified?
If so did they include this tilt?
Was the drone horizontal when that shot was taken?
WITHOUT applying force to the gimbal/camera can you level the gimbal/camera when the drone is SWITCHED OFF?
Did the drone come with a protector/cover over the gimbal? The latter is nearly a repeat of the previous question
Hi, everything was explained to be and i bought it at my own will. the seller did mention the tilt issue. The shot was taken when it was horizontal yes. No i cannot, the camera falls on one side (which would show the same horizontal issue) it did come with a cover yes.

im assuming the gimbal is dead now i have tried to level it with power off ?

Regarding the conditions of sale, I have no idea what rules govern facebook sales, I do not even have a Facebook account.
BUT on the likes of ebay items are sold in various condition categories, e.g. new. used, for parts etc. and definitions of those categories are available.
So, if this drone had been sold via ebay and in the used category it would be expected to work like a new drone and the condition category over rides any text within the advert. So, stricly speaking, if this were sold via ebay in the used category it would be returnable as, I think, "not as described" DESPITE the seller listing the tilt issue in the text of the advert. Morally I suppose you do not have any grounds for complaint.
I have, on at least one occasion, verified with ebay whether or not they would stand by the category rather than the text.

The above said, this may be a simple fix and if you use the search function (see attachment) you may find repair info. One thing I would suggest 'checking on' is whether the Mavic Mini knows the identity of the camera and or gimbal attached to it and whether a replacement gimbal/camera will create problems and, if so, if it is possible to overcome that.

The tilt you show is "roll" but the camera/gimbal has another two axis of rotation.
One, pitch, that allows the camera to point up or down and that is controlled via the dial on the front LHS of the controller, does it respond to that dial? If it does and roll is not a "must have" for you I suppose you could find some way of jamming the gimbal in the zero roll position and thus sort of have an permanent FPV view.
The third axis is yaw (turn) but I find that hard to see/check

Attachments

• mavicpilot search function.png
    mavicpilot search function.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: DrifterF
Regarding the conditions of sale, I have no idea what rules govern facebook sales, I do not even have a Facebook account.
BUT on the likes of ebay items are sold in various condition categories, e.g. new. used, for parts etc. and definitions of those categories are available.
So, if this drone had been sold via ebay and in the used category it would be expected to work like a new drone and the condition category over rides any text within the advert. So, stricly speaking, if this were sold via ebay in the used category it would be returnable as, I think, "not as described" DESPITE the seller listing the tilt issue in the text of the advert. Morally I suppose you do not have any grounds for complaint.
I have, on at least one occasion, verified with ebay whether or not they would stand by the category rather than the text.

The above said, this may be a simple fix and if you use the search function (see attachment) you may find repair info. One thing I would suggest 'checking on' is whether the Mavic Mini knows the identity of the camera and or gimbal attached to it and whether a replacement gimbal/camera will create problems and, if so, if it is possible to overcome that.

The tilt you show is "roll" but the camera/gimbal has another two axis of rotation.
One, pitch, that allows the camera to point up or down and that is controlled via the dial on the front LHS of the controller, does it respond to that dial? If it does and roll is not a "must have" for you I suppose you could find some way of jamming the gimbal in the zero roll position and thus sort of have an permanent FPV view.
The third axis is yaw (turn) but I find that hard to see/check
thank you for all the info :) i will have a good search about. The roll does work as it should. i have had a search but cant find any info on is the following:

"One thing I would suggest 'checking on' is whether the Mavic Mini knows the identity of the camera and or gimbal attached to it and whether a replacement gimbal/camera will create problems and, if so, if it is possible to overcome that."

How would i find it is knows the identity ?

I just replaced the gimbal on my Mavic Air and after installing the new gimbal there was a procedure required for calibrating the new gimbal. This was not the one in the DJI Go 4 app for the Mavic Air 1 which is designed to fine tune the gimbal. Instead it required a computer with Python and it was designed to calibrate a new gimbal. It might be worth giving it a try. However more than likely the gimbal on this mini might be damaged.

Do a search for Gimbal Calibration and you will find more results but here is one: (not my video)

I just replaced the gimbal on my Mavic Air and after installing the new gimbal there was a procedure required for calibrating the new gimbal. This was not the one in the DJI Go 4 app for the Mavic Air 1 which is designed to fine tune the gimbal. Instead it required a computer with Python and it was designed to calibrate a new gimbal. It might be worth giving it a try. However more than likely the gimbal on this mini might be damaged.

Do a search for Gimbal Calibration and you will find more results but here is one: (not my video)
I was just coming on here to tell everyone i had the issue resolved and it is exactly as you have mentioned.

when running the command i did find it didnt find the com port. i resolved this by launching the DJI Assistant 2 program and connecting as normal. once this connected i could close the program and it would then work :)

Thanks !

Just to be certain I understand correctly, you followed the instructions in that video and it fixed the problem, is that correct?
Thanks

Reactions: DrifterF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi