DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera not level when flat

JDJ

Reactions
Hi all,

I've been noticing an issue with my M2P, which seems to be getting more noticeable - the camera when pointed straight down doesnt seem to be fully level/flat. I believe this is the case because:
1) in post production when rotating the photos, there's a tilt, by which one way looks right and 180 degrees rotated looks skewed (which is fine... if it happens to be the direction you planned). If the camera was flat, rotating the images shouldn't result in a tilt/skew.
2) when composing a photo in the air, if I spin the drone 180 degrees, I have to recompose. Obviously the lens is in a slightly different position (by 30cm or so) but at 120m up I wouldn't have thought this should make much difference to the comp IF it's perfectly level.

I realise people will say it's subjective and I'll probably get a lecture in optical dynamics, which I welcome. But the bottom line is I just nabbed a great photo of two manta rays at the surface and when I rotate it to portrait (how it was composed), they look natural facing up but not when facing down (how I wanted).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix? I've tried levelling the gimbal at the horizon line, which seems to be correct, but am still getting this issue top down.

Thanks!
J

You might like to have a look at the instructions on DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
then upload the txt flightlog for an affected flight to that site and post the resulting link here.
I think you can make the drone recalibrate the gimbal, if so have you tried that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb