DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Tilt Helps GPS position?

kilomikebravo

Reactions
While perusing the manual again this morning, I saw a statement I didn't remember seeing previously:

"It is recommended to adjust the gimbal tilt to -90 to make it easier to measure the GPS." (bottom of pg 29)

Does anyone know why?

KB

Never heard that before, but you could assume some electronics in the camera interfere slightly less if further from the body.
A simple test would be to observe the number of satellites shown, with camera in different positions.

Never heard that before, but you could assume some electronics in the camera interfere slightly less if further from the body.
A simple test would be to observe the number of satellites shown, with camera in different positions.
No ... The camera has no effect on GPS.
Technically, tilting the camera couldn't but if it did, DJI would have fixed such a flaw before ever releasing the drone.

Look at what is just above this note in the manual to get some context.

Point of Interest 2.0
Select a subject through GPS positioning: Manually fly the aircraft above the subject, and then press
the C1 button or select in DJI GO 4 to confirm the subject.

It's simply telling you (in DJI's trademark poor wording) that if you don't have the camera pointing straight down, you won't be marking the point that you want to.

It's just poor wording. English is not DJI's first language, so they're doing their best. What they mean is that unless the camera is pointing straight down the image will not be centred on the GPS coordinates, which are perpendicular below. There is no connection between the GPS and the camera other than the image metadata will record the location of the drone, which may differ from the location the camera is actually looking at.

Thanks everyone. I did realize the subject was POI, but the translation wording got me when it referenced GPS position.

KB

Thanks everyone. I did realize the subject was POI, but the translation wording got me when it referenced GPS position.

KB
"Context is Key" they say ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan