DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAN FLYING PART 107 AND HOBBY BE DONE LEAGALLY?

Sitka78

Reactions
I have just spent several hours on the FAA website trying to find out if I can fly both Part 107 and at other times fly as a hobbyist. Most of us probably started out as a hobbyist and then went to Part 107. My patience has run out trying to find it out on the FAA site so could someone please answer this for me? Where on the FAA website can I find the words that will explain it to me without having to hire a lawyer to interpret it for me so I could have physical proof in case I neeeded it?

I have just spent several hours on the FAA website trying to find out if I can fly both Part 107 and at other times fly as a hobbyist
Yes. Before taking off, you need to decide if you're going to be flying as a hobbyist or for commercial purposes. Then, just follow the appropriate rules for that entire flight.

if you are flying for reward then you are 107 if you are just flying for fun then you are hobbyist and you have to follow the relevant rules in each case i am in the uk so am answering from what i have learned on this forum

Reactions: HVYMTL and Sitka78
Yes. Before taking off, you need to decide if you're going to be flying as a hobbyist or for commercial purposes. Then, just follow the appropriate rules for that entire flight.
Thank you, could you please tell me where I can find it in the FAA website?

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm not sure if that specific question is answered on the FAA website, but current regulations (14 CFR Part 107 and 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E) do not prevent Part 107-certified pilots from flying under Part 101. If you have a RPIC license then you can always fly under Part 107 rules (it doesn't matter what the purpose of the flight may be) or you can fly under Part 101 rules if the flight is purely recreational.

I have just spent several hours on the FAA website trying to find out if I can fly both Part 107 and at other times fly as a hobbyist. Most of us probably started out as a hobbyist and then went to Part 107. My patience has run out trying to find it out on the FAA site so could someone please answer this for me? Where on the FAA website can I find the words that will explain it to me without having to hire a lawyer to interpret it for me so I could have physical proof in case I needed it?
I don't think this is explicitly stated on the FAA web page but it is widely known that Part 107's can fly for fun, otherwise most of us would never become Part 107 certified. You cannot mix rules, however. A hobby flight must follow hobby rules and a commercial flight must follow Part 107 regs, and you cannot change the purpose of your flight as it is in progress. It's somewhat of an honor system and that's just the way it works. You're expected to be professional if you have acquired the Part 107 cert.

If you look on the FAA Drone Zone it states that you can register under Part 107 for "recreational, commercial, governmental, or other purposes" which in itself is confusing because it causes many people to mistakenly register under Part 107 when they only intend to be hobbyists.

A newbie question. Since I never intend to make money, or gain any benefit (other than fun) from my drone flying, are there any advantages, or disadvantages, to obtaining a part 107 certification? I was thinking of pursuing it only for the increased knowledge.

Ken

A newbie question. Since I never intend to make money, or gain any benefit (other than fun) from my drone flying, are there any advantages, or disadvantages, to obtaining a part 107 certification? I was thinking of pursuing it only for the increased knowledge.

Ken
you can never have to much knowledge its something only you can decide to do if you feel the cost is not a factor.it can only make you a better pilot

A newbie question. Since I never intend to make money, or gain any benefit (other than fun) from my drone flying, are there any advantages, or disadvantages, to obtaining a part 107 certification?
Yes... but in the same regard there are disadvantages... plus, doing so would always be a grey area. If you are flying under Part 107 you would not need to inform local airports every time you fly (I don't follow Part 107 very closely but I'm pretty sure that is the case). But you would then have other restrictions that apply under Part 107 that don't apply under Section 336 (such as, currently, the 400' rule). They grey area is, if the flight is not for commercial purposes.... who's going to know what you are flying under when you take off. Unless the FAA was standing there asking before you took off... there is really no reason why this could not "change" is needed while you are flying. Truth is, unless the FAA came knocking on your door... it would not matter much.

Ken
For the cost of $150 (a minuscule amount compared to some other countries) and some time you will gain a great deal of knowledge, and you will be a more responsible UAV pilot. Everything you need to study is available at no cost (starting with the official FAA study guide), and IMO self-study exposes you to even more information because you are more actively seeking material, not just looking at course slides and videos to get you through the test. If you find the material interesting you will enjoy learning it. Almost all of the study material pertains to manned aircraft flight, not so much to small quad-copters. I would tend to disagree with tcope's post. There are no disadvantages to having a Part 107 cert. if you are a responsible, professional and honest UAV pilot. Your flight is either hobby or commercial. There is no grey area unless you personally make one, you are responsible for your own actions.

could you please tell me where I can find it in the FAA website?
It's a US law. Just follow the rules as written. You can find the rules in 14 CFR Part 107 or Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

FAA has said that you can fly one or the other. You cannot change during flight. So you have to decide before the flight if it is a Hobby or Commercial flight and fly under those respective rules.

Ive been studying for my part 107 primarily for two reasons. 1) Knowledge, particularly around understanding airpspace I’m flying in. 2) most of the drone insurance companies I’ve e contacted require a part 107 in order to insure for replacement Val;he of my drones and equipment. My homeowners policy covers me for liability, but I’ve already put one drone in the drink (i live on a lake) and I need to keep the sport afforadble for myself :)

For the cost of $150 (a minuscule amount compared to some other countries) and some time you will gain a great deal of knowledge, and you will be a more responsible UAV pilot. Everything you need to study is available at no cost (starting with the official FAA study guide), and IMO self-study exposes you to even more information because you are more actively seeking material, not just looking at course slides and videos to get you through the test. If you find the material interesting you will enjoy learning it. Almost all of the study material pertains to manned aircraft flight, not so much to small quad-copters. I would tend to disagree with tcope's post. There are no disadvantages to having a Part 107 cert. if you are a responsible, professional and honest UAV pilot. Your flight is either hobby or commercial. There is no grey area unless you personally make one, you are responsible for your own actions.

I agree with hoozerdronedaddy. Whether flying as a hobbiest or commercially the same basic rules apply; stay under 400’, don’t fly over people or in and around stadiums, follow state and federal restrictions in public and national parks and most importantly, fly line of sight.

Part 107 educates the remote pilot in charge on how to interact with the national airspace, weather, rules for interacting with airports and how to read sectional charts. This is over and above the same basic rules governing recreational flying.

Ive been studying for my part 107 primarily for two reasons. 1) Knowledge, particularly around understanding airpspace I’m flying in. 2) most of the drone insurance companies I’ve e contacted require a part 107 in order to insure for replacement Val;he of my drones and equipment. My homeowners policy covers me for liability, but I’ve already put one drone in the drink (i live on a lake) and I need to keep the sport afforadble for myself :)

State Farm will insure you under PPL for Hull Replacement. But only for Hobby fliers. If they find out you are flying commercial they will not pay.

As for commercial insurance, unless you have high end UAV's and equipment it is not cost effective to purchase hull coverage with the commercial insurance companies, too expensive. Get the liability, etc for coverage on jobs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661